FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

Disable eT9 & Enable the Older T9 - works better for copy/paste on WM6.x SmartPhones

784 posts
Thanks Meter: 16

By JZ SmartMort, Senior Member on 14th July 2008, 08:44 AM
Thread Deleted Email Thread
LINK EXPLAINING HOW THIS CAME ABOUT

I use WM6 ROM by GnatGoSplat (LINK), which breathed new life into my little phone. I also develop my own software in MortScript called JZ SmartMort, which helps SmartPhones/PPCs be more productive with copy/paste/clipboard history/multi-web-browsers/favorites/java, etc. When I had WM5, my software worked like a charm and I was able to copy/paste EVERYWHERE, including JBed textboxes like in Opera Mini. As soon as I used WM6 & WM6.1 ROMs, my program stopped copying and pasting which really killed my productivity but I absolutely had to leave WM6 on my phone because it's so much faster. So after trying a thousand things, I finally figured out that Tegic's eT9 IME keyboard driver is not the same animal as T9: because using T9, you're able to press any key combination of keys (Control-C, Control-V, etc.) while controlling the device from a MortScript or from a PC using MyMobiler. When eT9 is the IME driver, copy/paste did not work at all.

Tegic is the company who write the driver for HTC, this CAB is T9 (a.k.a. classic T9) ----VERSUS---- the newer xT9 (a.k.a. eT9), on WM 6.x and above which is not compatible with standard copy/paste keyboard shortcuts.

So --- I dumped the original WM5 ROM from HTC to disk and grabbed every file that met this criteria "\Windows\T9*.*" threw it into a CAB and added the registry entry (HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Layouts\e001 0409\IME File) to switch over to the T9 dll file, replacing the newer but inferior eT9. If you uninstall the CAB offered on this thread, your original/newer eT9 driver will return.

After installing this CAB, all T9 functionality should be available. Soft-reset is recommended but not necessary, however, T9 will only be available to newly launched apps. After you do a soft-reset, all apps will use T9.

This CAB is for US-English (1033/0409) locale. Should only work on non-QWERTY SmartPhones (just dial-pad) Obtained this driver from Cingular 3125 ROM (HTC StarTrek -- here's a picture of it). IME driver is Tegic T9 for WM 5.0)

Post #8 suggests that this driver also works for BenQ E72. My guess is that it also will work on Pantech devices.

Thanks!
JZ
Attached Files
File Type: cab JZ USA T9 Keys.cab - [Click for QR Code] (521.0 KB, 524 views)

23rd July 2008, 01:42 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Talking
hi, I used this cab which allows for your script to work with Opera Mini. It now copies and pastes the correct address. Your cab replaces xT9 on my s640. However, there is an undesired side effect. I can no longer user the function buttons, which includes all numbers and symbols. Basically, with this keyboard I have only letters.

Any idea how to remedy this? I would like for copy and paste to work properly as well as having a full keyboard.

Thanks!
23rd July 2008, 05:56 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Burbank

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrdude

hi, I used this cab which allows for your script to work with Opera Mini. It now copies and pastes the correct address. Your cab replaces xT9 on my s640. However, there is an undesired side effect. I can no longer user the function buttons, which includes all numbers and symbols. Basically, with this keyboard I have only letters.

Any idea how to remedy this? I would like for copy and paste to work properly as well as having a full keyboard.

Thanks!

Few questions:
  1. Before installing this CAB, did you try different "Opera Mini Paste-Methods" under JZ Opera Options?
  2. Since this did not work for you, you uninstalled, after uninstall of T9 CAB the below reg entry below is restored back to original. Let me know what is in this registry key: "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Layouts\e00 10409\IME File"
  3. Was there ever a Windows Mobile 5 available for your device (so I can try to rip the T9 drivers from it)
Ultimately, I still have to find a T9 IME/keyboard driver with a full QWERTY keyboard. If you know of any other HTC device that has a full keyboard and WM5 SmartPhone, let me know.

Send me a private message and I'll see if I can attempt a few things with your device, ultimately, copy/paste is an issue with all xT9/eT9 keyboard drivers.
21st November 2008, 09:11 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thank you for your post. xT9 and the built-in Windows Mobile Copy/Paste functions are incompatible, the keys will stop responding or undesired effects will occur when using the 2 together.
21st November 2008, 11:04 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Burbank

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scant

Thank you for your post. xT9 and the built-in Windows Mobile Copy/Paste functions are incompatible, the keys will stop responding or undesired effects will occur when using the 2 together.

Sure... I was puzzled for a while until I finally figured out that IME/keyboard drivers is the killer of copy/paste, especially with Tegic's (the company who write the driver for HTC) T9 (classic T9) or the newer xT9 (aka eT9, which is not compatible with standard copy/paste shortcuts).

I do believe the limitation is only on HTC SmartPhones devices and other devices using Tegic's drivers because my Wizard Pocket PC has no issues at all.
22nd November 2008, 12:10 AM |#6  

More
If anyone knows of a workaround or of a smartphone that uses xT9 and is compatible with the built-in Windows Mobile 6.1 Copy/Paste functions please speak up. Cheers!
29th November 2008, 10:09 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Burbank

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scant

If anyone knows of a workaround or of a smartphone that uses xT9 and is compatible with the built-in Windows Mobile 6.1 Copy/Paste functions please speak up. Cheers!

Have you tried VitoCopyPaste by any chance? Take a look at my signature, my app includes VitoCopyPaste (on a time-limit since you don't want your Action key to always pop Vito). Basically if you press and hold your action button (middle of the D-pad) Vito will pop a menu allowing copy paste to occur. It works well on SmartPhones...
14th June 2009, 09:40 PM |#8  

More
Thanks a LOT for this CAB! It works on the BenQ E72 as well (when it only had "abc" entry method).

Thanks again!
Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread