FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Titan Keyboard failing

111 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By chewbaaka, Senior Member on 14th July 2008, 06:19 PM
Thread Deleted Email Thread
some keys i have to press super hard, other keys i tap and it types the key like 3 times

like when i press a

it types

aaa

and im like wha?

i am still under warranty, should i just put original stock rom back on and ask them to repair it or try and get it switched out for a vogue 0.o
14th July 2008, 09:59 PM |#2  

More
I have a similar problem on my device. Is this a known problem?
14th July 2008, 10:23 PM |#3  
Flag Orlando
Thanks Meter: 164

More
Ditto here, the Function key has to be pressed hard, and some keys in the first row are acting up as well, but primarily the Q key.
14th July 2008, 11:26 PM |#4  

More
I'm not sure that this has been officially acknowledged by HTC or any providers but it seems to be a widespread issue for end users.

While the "hard presses" for Function, Q and P seem to be a physical problem many users have reported that using the following CAB fixes the duplicate entries.

The CAB is being provided by UTStarcom and be downloaded at the below page.

http://handsets.utstar.com/phone_dow...zon%20Wireless

Direct link to the CAB.

http://handsets.utstar.com/downloads...x%201-9-08.zip
15th July 2008, 07:40 PM |#5  

More
This is deff a problem. My phone does the exact same thing as OP.

I press a and it types it three times. This is the only key that this happens on.
16th July 2008, 03:40 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
I didn't realize how bad the keyboard was degrading until yesterday, when my Mogul was replaced. For me, the ./0, y/1 and function key were the worst offenders. The unit was swapped because the usb port broke. The port failed because it's a really cheap design, 2 pins broke off . The rep in the repair center insinuated that it was a really common issue, she didn't even look at the port when I explained the problem. On the plus side,I got rid of the dreaded white spot and my keyboard works well again, but for how long? The keyboard, screen and usb port problems are all common complaints on this board and others. What I surmise from this is that HTC makes a pretty crappy product! When this phone is retired in a year or so, I'm hopeful that I'll be able to replace it with a non HTC/non Windows Mobile (or whatever MS calls it next). Every time I use my phone, I wonder if it be wonderfully helpful tool this time, or a frustrating pain in the ass? Unfortunately, the later happens all too often!
16th July 2008, 08:14 AM |#7  
Flag Santa Ana
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 0ne

I'm not sure that this has been officially acknowledged by HTC or any providers but it seems to be a widespread issue for end users.

While the "hard presses" for Function, Q and P seem to be a physical problem many users have reported that using the following CAB fixes the duplicate entries.

The CAB is being provided by UTStarcom and be downloaded at the below page.

http://handsets.utstar.com/phone_dow...zon%20Wireless

Direct link to the CAB.

http://handsets.utstar.com/downloads...x%201-9-08.zip

These cabs dont necessarily fix the hardware keyboard issues. It fixes the old issues of the function button always being on in certain applications.

The issues that people are having is just wear and tear. The XV6800 has a cheap build.
16th July 2008, 03:17 PM |#8  
Flag Bronx, New York
Thanks Meter: 13

More
hi guys,

same here, when i type "a" either doesnt do anything or it gives me a duplicate of 3 a's. and that started happening since i upgraded to dcd 3.2.0 an on.
also when i switch to landscape mode it sometimes writes an H or Y or P. don't know if it is OS related or hardware but it is a brand new phone and i never recall having this before going to dcds greatest 3.2.X.

edit: also i've been using quickmenu ever since 3.2.0 because of the x-button issue so i was thinking is any of you using quickmenu too?
16th July 2008, 04:54 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
fn key problem
So I guess many people have this "hard press fn key" issue. Annoys me a lot, especially with password sites where I cannot see the entry. Would this justify replacement from spring, i have full insurance?
16th July 2008, 07:47 PM |#10  
Flag Ontario

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]$

These cabs dont necessarily fix the hardware keyboard issues. It fixes the old issues of the function button always being on in certain applications.

The issues that people are having is just wear and tear. The XV6800 has a cheap build.

I don't really think it's a hardware degradation issue. This is because there is no gradual degradation. If it were I would think just a few keys would start acting this way and then eventually a bunch of them would. With me I just all of a sudden noticed one day that all my keys were acting wonky. I think it was after a ROM flash but I can't recall any specific one that broke it (I change the ROM more often than I use my keyboard I think haha).

The CAB seems to help a little. I still have to take more care in typing than I used to but it's better than having so many repetitions of the same key.
16th July 2008, 10:02 PM |#11  
Flag Santa Ana
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by unL33T

I don't really think it's a hardware degradation issue. This is because there is no gradual degradation. If it were I would think just a few keys would start acting this way and then eventually a bunch of them would. With me I just all of a sudden noticed one day that all my keys were acting wonky. I think it was after a ROM flash but I can't recall any specific one that broke it (I change the ROM more often than I use my keyboard I think haha).

The CAB seems to help a little. I still have to take more care in typing than I used to but it's better than having so many repetitions of the same key.

I still say it's a hardware thing. Because if it was the software / ROM you would just be able to hard reset and your keyboard would be back to the state it was before.

My keyboard has issues with the E,O,H,Function Key, Space Bar, and the L.
It's something we will have to live with or just return our phones for a new one and wait for that one to wear out.

Just like the spots on the screen, loose stylus and so on. The 6800 was a bad build for HTC.
Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread