FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

PockeTwit - Twitter client with GPS support (Updated 8-24)

87 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By Dromio, Member on 25th July 2008, 11:08 PM
Post Reply Email Thread

See it in action here.

I admit it, I'm a bit of a twitter addict. And like my MPD client, I just couldn't find a twitter client that I liked. So I had some spare time today and whipped up my own. So far it does the basics -- shows the timelines, lets you set your status, and let's you reply to tweets. Of course there's a lot more to be done like showing user info (besides their icon), direct messages, and dealing with URLs in tweets.

It uses the same kinetic list code that I used in the MPD client, so it's kind of fun to scroll up and down and view the menus on the sides.

If you're a twitter user, you can try get my client from the google code site. Let me know if you have anything to say about it.

Current Version: v.52

25th July 2008, 11:13 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I use tinyTwitter which works really well on my diamond
25th July 2008, 11:33 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimusan

I use tinyTwitter which works really well on my diamond

Umm, yeah. . . that's great you already have one you like. Keep right on using it . But like I mentioned, I never did find one I liked. Even more importantly, I never found an open source one that I could contribute to. So I made my own.

This version probably won't work out too well on a VGA screen. I took some shortcuts with sizing some info. VGA-pretty will have to wait for a bit.
26th July 2008, 09:54 AM |#4  

More
This client has some real potential! I have been using ceTwit, but its slow load time, (seemingly) heavy battery drain, and lack of kinetic scrolling were all shortcomings. I am looking forward to further development especially direct msgs and twitpic support.

The UI took a bit to figure out but is slick and fun once you get it.

Thank you for putting this out.
26th July 2008, 08:47 PM |#5  
OP Member

More
Updated with some new features:

Direct messages
URL shortening with http://is.gd
Clickable @names and URLs in tweets
Bigger user images.

If you had a previous version installed, you may want to delete the cached profile pics so it'll get the bigger ones. Just delete Program Files\PockeTwit\ArtCache and run again. It'll re-fetch all the bigger images automatically.
27th July 2008, 12:25 AM |#6  
Flag Chicago

Donate to Me
More
Looks good. I have been trying every twitter client under the sun and cannot find one I am happy with. In particular I have been looking for one that supports GPS for location based messages.
27th July 2008, 12:43 AM |#7  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebphoto

Looks good. I have been trying every twitter client under the sun and cannot find one I am happy with. In particular I have been looking for one that supports GPS for location based messages.

I've been trying to think of something to do with GPS. I think twinkle is doing something with their own webservice to find users located near you -- I don't have those kinds of resources. But I could do something more basic, like posting your current location. I've got a great idea for a location-aware component, just no apps that need to know my location

There's a crash bug that pops up occasionally in my last release--that's still my first priority. And I think the code I wrote to parse out the clickable words is slowing things down a bit too much. But despite both of those, I'm proud of how well it's going so far.

I'm definitely looking for suggestions on what features to implement next, so I can surpass the other apps that are out there.
27th July 2008, 12:59 AM |#8  

More
my UI suggestion is to right justify the timeline links on the left side of the UI, so that way you don't have to side scroll all the way across to click on one (Like on the right side ...but backwards) Also this may just be a user training issue, but I have a hard time side scrolling far enough that it doesn't auto reset back before I can make a selection.

Also maybe a tap and hold menu on the user picture for @ and D replies? Finally the clickable text is a bit, umm, sensitive? I don't know if it is just me, but my feed is littered with @replies so that makes scrolling down a landmine trying not to flick across a link.

Does it have, or is there plans for an auto-update of the friends timeline?

just got a crash while attempting an update, I think the URL link was tapped by accident. still not quite sure how that works yet.

I know people like features and not everyone wants the same features, but keep in mind that light and fast is a feature in itself, I like the fact it loads quickly and has a smooth interface. Great work!
27th July 2008, 01:02 AM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebphoto

SO this would inbed your GPS coordinates into twits? is that a desired feature? I just can't imagine that would be more effective than just saying "corner of 6th and Red River" ... unless the coordinates were clickable to say google maps, but then that is still an extra step. hmmm ... my phone doesn't have GPS so I never think what it's advantages are for these types of apps.
27th July 2008, 01:21 AM |#10  
OP Member

More
Thanks for the thoughtfull reply chuque. You made some great points.

The auto-update is probably what made it crash! I forgot and made a UI call from another thread. I'll try to fix that up in the next build.

I think I have a way to make the clickable text less sensitive too. I'll just make them react if you aren't scrolling. That should help.

I like the idea of right-justifying the left menu, but I'm not sure how easy that will be. I'll try it out though.

What advantage would a tap+hold menu have over the right menu?

Thanks again for the feedback, I really appreciate it.
27th July 2008, 01:40 AM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dromio

What advantage would a tap+hold menu have over the right menu?

Thanks again for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

None really, just another path to the same result. Right now, (and I am still in the learning curve) it feels like more work to have to highlight a twit, side scroll, click D, while thinking wouldn't it be easier if I could just click on the icon and go from there? ... I guess one is just more intuitive to me over the other. Given another few days I am sure it'll be second nature, so by no means consider it a highly desired request.

Also updates say "from web" instead of listing the client, I hope that changes as well, this is a good WM client already and could use the free advertisement.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)