Vasquez Talk To Me 0.1.4 - Speaking clock

Search This thread

degritxda

Jul 23, 2008
Tested on HTC P4350 Herald with stock WM6 unbranded.
The purpose of this is to have the handheld tell me what time it is in the way I choose.

I first made a mortscript to do that (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=2450016&postcount=659), but I wanted it to have the dignity of a stand-alone app (I have nothing against mortscripts though, they're brilliant). Since my experience with developing for windows, and even more so developing for windows mobile, == NULL, I looked (once again) for ways to get all set up and learn very quickly.
After being reminded for the nth time (it's an every-six-months or so process, recursive) that no, you don't infact learn c++ quickly, even less some newish language you've never seen before, I stumbled onto PPL, what I would think of as a script interpreter with a fairly easy to use IDE.

The result of my few hours of fighting with PPL is attached below for the joy of all children and elderly people.

Installation:
Place the contents of the zip in a folder wherever you like on the device, then link buttons or shortcuts at leisure to vasquez.exe.

Settings:
The file setup.exe modifies the few settings for the app.
Actor - which sounds set to use (only default available for now);
Format - hh mm only for now, to be joined by "o'clock", "and a half", "quarter to" and so on;
AM/PM - use am/pm or not where appropriate;
12/24 - use a 12 or 24 hours cycle.
Note that using 24 hours the AM/PM setting is ignored.

Bottom Line:
PPL, while easy to use and learn, has its downs:
1) an app that would have taken a few kbs requires instead more than 2mb, because of having to pack the interpreter together with the code (only to be expected really);
2) it takes a while to run the app (each exe being ~1.2mb) and it feels oddly wrong having to wait a few seconds for such a settings menu to appear (you'll see what I mean if you try).

It is my intention to develop this further, although I'd much prefer to rewrite it "properly" using Cwhateversappropriate or .NET or dunnowhat.
But first I'll have to find someone to tutor me through the setting up stage because I always stop before even starting. (Anyone ? Hih, hih. :))

Thanks for bearing with my rambling.

Attachments

• vasquez_ppc_014.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 5,390

oldsap

Apr 4, 2006
oldsap.blogspot.com
vasquezvt8.png

nice little app.

comments:
- maybe you could recode your checkbox' so that when AM/PM is selected, the 24Hr checkbox will automatically be unchecked, and vice versa.
- the wav file's volume are a bit low :)

zenkinz

Apr 21, 2005
www.zenyee.com
using a lang interpretator or managed framework would always have its cost and overheads.

I always prefer to build utility using native Win32 instead of .NET for the same reason, especially if I am interested just to get the job done and need to keep it lean and mean...

degritxda

Jul 23, 2008
using a lang interpretator or managed framework would always have its cost and overheads.

I always prefer to build utility using native Win32 instead of .NET for the same reason, especially if I am interested just to get the job done and need to keep it lean and mean...

What's the deal with the various Visual Thisandthat ? Do they work like this (with all the understandable differences) or are they as lean and mean as any notepad-made C++ ?

Solaris_irc

Feb 28, 2007
Merida
great app i use it avery day. Is there any plans to update it? could you plz add the feature to use a diferent wav file for sayin 1hr and 1min, cause I made spanish sounds for your app but when it says One One AM, in spanish should be Una Uno AM, but there is only a file for the 1.

Jasand

Nov 8, 2008
Worcestershire
www.homeeasy.eu
thanks for this,

however the sounds are very quiet so when i get home tonight ill amplify the sounds and see what they sound like.

if they sound good ill uplaod the amplified sounds for you if you dont mind?

Crypt!c

Jun 3, 2008
hi, how to i link the vasquez.exe to buttons? any recommended programs?

wapvirus

Jan 24, 2008
London
Any chance of wma support as these files can be made much smaller, Bug found i get a crackling when time is played i have tested with different sound samples and it's still present still great and i look forward to watching this app grow :)

I am running 6.5 on omap 200mhz ;)

jcmiller

Jan 1, 2009
Thank you very much!

I am a visually impaired user of Windows Mobile, this program is great, no more getting my reading glasses to see the time. I dedicated a button to use this program on my phone. I finished some new voices both male and female.

Here is the download link ----->
http://rapidshare.com/files/281991840/voices.zip

Last edited:

rogermorse

Aug 8, 2009
I needed such application because when i ride a bike or something, then i could use my earphone (just push the call button, say the name of the application to launch it....as you say the name to call someone, same thing) to listen to the time without having everytime to take my phone out of the pocket.

It doesn't work....because everytime i click on the .exe, windows asks me 'are you sure you want to run this application?' that's because it's an unknown .exe....sure you know what i'm talking about.

So the thing with the earphone and the vocal command wouldn't work because i would always have to click on 'yes' after that safety warning. How can i remove that warning ?

wapvirus

Jan 24, 2008
London
I needed such application because when i ride a bike or something, then i could use my earphone (just push the call button, say the name of the application to launch it....as you say the name to call someone, same thing) to listen to the time without having everytime to take my phone out of the pocket.

It doesn't work....because everytime i click on the .exe, windows asks me 'are you sure you want to run this application?' that's because it's an unknown .exe....sure you know what i'm talking about.

So the thing with the earphone and the vocal command wouldn't work because i would always have to click on 'yes' after that safety warning. How can i remove that warning ?

Disable "not signed" warnings for unsigned apps
try this it's just a couple of reg settings to remove that warning ;)
http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=196602&d=1245242316