FORUMS

CAB to install Office Mobile 6.1 onto your storage card (free up some device memory)

313 posts
Thanks Meter: 23

By gadgetuk437, Senior Member on 26th August 2008, 10:17 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I wanted to free up more device memory, but the Office6.1 CABs (I could find) would only install to the device. So I edited the CAB I had, to give you the choice (device or storage card).

It seems to work OK. The shortcuts, on the start menu, weren't pointing to the new location... but I think I have fixed that. Not sure what happens on non-english devices.

The only bugbear I have found is, hitting the new button in Word generates an error. I think it is because the default template is in the wrong place. So if anyone can shed some light on that, I would be grateful. It's not a biggie tho' I just created a document called "blank.doc" and open that instead.

I'm sure someone will come along now and say, "there is already a CAB that does this".... but I did spend two days looking for one!

Here it is,
MSOffice2007onStorageCard.zip
26th August 2008, 10:37 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
so this will extract the files from my device including the corresponding templates and place on storage card for use?

or is this the full MSoffice2007 install that allows you to save to storage card?
26th August 2008, 10:39 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Devon/Cornwall border, UK

More
Sorry, my bad.
you will have to uninstall your office 2007 suite and reinstall, using this CAB.
HTH

=====
I think the problem with Word not opening the new file is because I neglected to make the CAB change the registry entries for the office programs in their new locations. I just tried to start a random DOC file from File Explorer and got the same error (but can open it from inside Word). Same problem with Excel and PP too. Harrumph!
Which keys do I need to change?
=====
Changed the file associations for documents and workbooks by hand using Total Commander... it's a kludge for the problem above, works tho'.
Still can't get the 'New' button to do its job in word mind.
26th August 2008, 10:47 PM |#4  

More
How do you un-install the office suite?....doesn't allow me to delete the files individually. And active sync doesn't give me the option to un-install either.
27th August 2008, 12:32 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Start\Settings\System\Remove Programs

I am running CRCinAU's WM6.1 ROM, not sure if Office is uninstallable on other ROMs... so YMMV.
27th August 2008, 12:46 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Hang on a mo... I am editing registry entries in the CAB. I will upload a new version in a few minutes.
27th August 2008, 01:27 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Hang on a mo... I am editing registry entries in the CAB. I will upload a new version in a few minutes.

=====EDIT=====

Dammandblast - I screwed up the registry entries... it's late, bed is calling me.
The file above will work, but you need to point the file associations in the new direction.
I will get back to this at a civilised hour.
1st September 2008, 09:55 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Found a CAB that does the job properly, on this thread

Here it is,
PDACorner_Office2007.CAB
2nd December 2008, 11:55 AM |#9  
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 11

More
I have a Mio A701.
Not every costume ROM have Office inside.
So this is a solution.

Thank you very much gadgetuk437.

Thanks to mainsail too, who gives me the link of this page
in our new MIO A701 COMMUNITY here:

http://www.a701.org/Forum/

2nd December 2008, 06:20 PM |#10  

More
How do you edit a .cab file?
2nd December 2008, 07:52 PM |#11  
Flag Newark
Thanks Meter: 8