FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[App] [Updated 02-NOV-2008] Diamond Cubes

86 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By cgeboers, Member on 29th August 2008, 05:05 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Here is a small OpenGL based program that allows you to use your Diamond as a "Dice Shaker". It is a simple program and it was written to learn how to use OpenGL together with C# on my Diamond.

There are still some bugs in the collision detection code, but I think it is a good example of what can be done with this lovely PDA/Phone.

I apologize for the bad interface, there is not much else you can do then shake it and exit from the program.
The dices are 3D objects and tumble across your screen. I still think there should some better "randomness" and there is an annoying bug, which I short-fused in a very ugly way

Anyway have fun and if I find the time, I will certainly try to improve it.

Done:
- Add sound effects/ buzzer triggering - thanks to gerDiamond to fix the "bugs" in the collision detection and surur for the sound and background file. Also thanks to simplifight to clean up some of the code.
- Better graphics - I think I finally understand OpenGL lighting
- Menu choice for the number of dices - You can choose 1 till 7 dices
- Ticking on the screen is the same as shaking the device.

Still todo
- Different faces for different types of games (for example the dice colors needed for "Cities3D" ?) - Basic setup for this is done, just need to find the time to create the images
- Nicer graphics for the playboard. Again I have the graphics understood and made some code changes with regard to the rendering of the dices.
- 3D tilting. Have a look at my "Paper Plane" app, which shows a 3D F16, which you can look at from all sides.

Lower priority todo
- Zoom in or out ??
- Change size of play-field ???

Any suggestions are welcome.

I will post the latest sources again, but it could take a few days, since they sort of are a mess for the moment.

Dice can be parked by clicking on them. Clicking on them when parked, they will go back to the "field".

Help needed
I could still use some help in the dice rotation algorithm. Currently there is a tendency to favor some numbers, but I need to randomize it better. One solution is perhaps to randomly choose between turning around the x or y-axis ?
Graphics are welcome.
I also could use some help or guidance in using a "3DS" loader or something similar, so that people can design their own dice textures.

If you have nice pictures of dices, preferable JPG or PNG with square sides, I will try to use them. Usable sizes are 64x64, 128x128 or 512x512
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen03.jpg
Views:	14233
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	126725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen04.jpg
Views:	2494
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	126726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen06.jpg
Views:	2734
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	126727  
Attached Files
File Type: cab Diamond Cubes V2.CAB - [Click for QR Code] (331.5 KB, 31082 views)

29th August 2008, 05:15 PM |#2  

More
got the sofa!!
Hi there!! It looks great for fun with your friends!!!

I will try it right away !!
29th August 2008, 05:20 PM |#3  

More
I just tested this first version.
The animation is great, perhaps de Gsensor sensitivity could be enhanced to be more realistic the "shake" to trow the cubes.

Great job my friend!
29th August 2008, 05:36 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 31

Donate to Me
More
Wow.. very nice

This looks great... A little more programming and it will be perfect...
some sound... and interaction with the cubes.. ( now they can land ontop on eachother)

Looking forward to see the next version
29th August 2008, 09:56 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
nice job!

how about adding another 3 dice so i can play yatzee?
29th August 2008, 11:08 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Great app, but it doesn't work for me. I'm using 1.93 NL official rom.

I allso found an iPhone dice app so here is the link for inspiration for further developement http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugoq8M2XxVE

I'm also willing to make the dice so they look more beutifull but i don't know how this is done with mobile phone apps. Will a Cinema 4D or 3DSMAX render do?
29th August 2008, 11:33 PM |#7  
OP Member
Flag Schriek

More
.NET CF 3.5 needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by gebruikershaes

Great app, but it doesn't work for me. I'm using 1.93 NL official rom.

I allso found an iPhone dice app so here is the link for inspiration for further developement http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugoq8M2XxVE

I'm also willing to make the dice so they look more beutifull but i don't know how this is done with mobile phone apps. Will a Cinema 4D or 3DSMAX render do?

Problem 1: You might want to check if you have .NET CF 3.5 installed. I always use that because it is installed in my ROM.

The dice is created as a cube on which I render 6 different images. So I don't know if you can use Cinema 4D or 3DSMAX. Check the sources, maybe that it gives you a better idea ? Any way I appreciate any help I can get, I am still learning to use the OpenGL software, so I have not really a clue about all the possibilities. Sometimes it feels like I have managed to understand about 5%
Maybe some other people can help out here ?

My main reason to add the sources also was the hope that somebody would take the application and make it better, so that I can learn of it too.
29th August 2008, 11:42 PM |#8  
Flag Fagersta

More
Nice app!

A little laggy though, besides that it looks great!
29th August 2008, 11:45 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Great idea. Should be called "Diamond Dice" though? sounds more appropriate ;) And is the animation quite smooth for everybody else? not very smooth on my Diamond, but that might be due to the high memory usage I usually have
29th August 2008, 11:55 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 88

Donate to Me
More
Greatttt ... thanks a lot...
30th August 2008, 12:47 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Can you make a version for Yahtzee?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cube