FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Would you like to see 3D driver development on the Polaris?

Yes

505 Vote(s)
77.34%
No

4 Vote(s)
0.61%
Would prefer to see 2D driver developed

144 Vote(s)
22.05%

Polaris 3D Driver Development Project (P3D) - Phase II

1,865 posts
Thanks Meter: 8

By bally3, Senior Member on 14th September 2008, 10:25 PM
Thread Deleted Email Thread
*** PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE INSTALLING OR FLASHING ANY SOFTWARE POSTED IN THIS THREAD ***

The software posted here is for TESTING purposes only, Myself, NikMel or any of the posters of software, or links to software on this thread take absolutely no responsibility or liability for damage caused by the result of installing or flashing software or links to software found on this thread - correctly or otherwise, you do so on the sole understanding that you do so at your own risk.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Project Name: Polaris Project P3D

CAB Name: HTC-CA-Polaris-Drivers

Development and Testing Team: Bally3, NikMel, Neos2007, NuShrike, Rogro82

Bally3 - Development, testing and updates
NikMel - Development, ROM updates and testing
Neos2007 - Development, CAB updates, videos and testing
NuShrike - Development and code optimisation
Rogro82 - Development, code optimisation and testing
JesseW - Design & testng

11/10 - With the release of the 2D driver and also a rom dump of the long-awaited Toshiba G810 rom - We are temporarily suspending further development and discussion of the 3D driver whilst we pursue our other ambition of bringng better 2D capabilities to our devices.

Please see the Poilaris 2D Driver development thread here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=435190

Thank you - we will continue the 3D driver improvement discussions shortly.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8/10 - Today, The P3D team are proud to announce the release of the P3D Polaris 3D driver in an installable (and uninstallable!) cab form through its partnership with the htcclassaction.org website. Our thanks to Chainfire and the Kaiser team for the creation and distribution of the cab file via its website and enabling the p3D team to concentrate on further development and improvement to the driver.

We wish them all the best

The link to the cab can be found on this page: http://www.htcclassaction.org/driver...ate_20081009_1
2/10 - Distributed new set of drivers that are compatible with the Polaris ddi to all rom chefs to test and integrate into their roms.
30/9 - Initial feedback from Itje's rom is encouraging - users express faster speeds with a few exceptions. NuShrike has success making the original Polaris ddi,dll work with the 3D driver - tested and confirmed working with improved results.
28/9 - Asked rom chefs to assist with testing with their own roms with the drivers cooked in - ije released a new version with 3D drivers.
27/9 - Testing continues with some impressive benchmarks from NikMels rom which has the files cooked in.
26/9 - Group set up for development team: http://forum.xda-developers.com/group.php?groupid=18
25/9 - NuShrike and Rogro82, our developers on this project had a breakthorough to fix the scrolling. Neos2007 created a cab which will be posted out to all testers on this project.

An updated video from Neos2007 of the non scrolling 3D acceleration can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58PFxhIVeE0

A Cab file has been generated by Neos2007 for testing FOR the team - we will release a Public Beta after some testing.
PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR THE CAB!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
23/9 - After trying every angle to fix the scrolling we are now looking at help from NuShrike, a veteran from the CA Kaiser driver who has agreed to help us in porting the CA driver to the Polaris.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: After much research and some interesting development work, NikMel has posted a rom which shows hardware acceleration working in concept! - you can see a few youtube videos here:

Neos2007: http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=69_6zgIZLaU

SuperJMN: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RMYnI23JB4

14th September 2008, 10:29 PM |#2  
Flag Ciudad Real
Thanks Meter: 25

More
What you ask IS what we all want to know. Why the Kaiser, but not Polaris?

Is it capable to do it? It is not? Is is a matter of time?
14th September 2008, 10:34 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tinternet

More
Putting my thoughts to graphical paper here. it might help someone or it might not.

So when I enquired about whether the 3D driver for the Kaiser from htcClassAction.org would work on the Polaris, the answer was a resounding NO!..

Apparently the Polaris was missing a potential ddi.dll file that was rumoured to be included in WM 6.1.

UDK's Syrius R0 looked promising but the bugs forced me to look elsewhere so I flashed swtos new rom which claims to include the ddi.dll and have "3D Support", though swtos also mentions that there is NO hardware accelerated driver available for the Polaris.

Swtos' Rom included the 3D tests which show the D3DM demo cube actually moving at about average 3.2 fps but the lights program still shows HARDWARE RASTERIZATION: false and "Using system memory".

Athough there are clear speed differences from my UDK R8 rom, video playback is slightly smoother, overall rom speed after installing all programs faster its clear that apart from some tweaking and the ddi.dll file (or tweaking BY the ddi.dll file) this is only software acceleration.

So the question is:

IS THE POLARIS CAPABLE OF HARDWARE ACCELERATED 3D?

From my limited understanding of this, the only way to verify that the Polaris is running on hardware accelerated 3D mode is that the lights test should say "Using Video Memory".

I tried installing the kaiser 3D driver in the hope that now I have the ddi.dll file this may work. no such luck - exception errors etc..

So started looking at the dll files mentioned in the lights program and googled the file named on the first screen which was d3dmref.dll. I found this interesting article at Microsoft:

Failed on Direct3D mobile Test in Test Tools

Apparently d3dmref is a Microsoft D3D reference driver (not hardware accelerated)

(Continued)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some questions then:

drdmref.dll is a referenced driver. So what is ddi.dll and what does it do specifically?

The ddi.dll performs better than the Samsung Omnio driver which in itself proved to show much improvement than before - why?

If we now have the required ddi.dll, what else needs to be done to make the HtcClassAction Kaiser 3D drivers work with the Polaris?

What other files are we missing?

Time for a break.. and hopefully someone might be kind enough to provide some answers.
14th September 2008, 10:41 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tinternet

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJMN

What you ask IS what we all want to know. Why the Kaiser, but not Polaris?

Is it capable to do it? It is not? Is is a matter of time?

Sure it is.. and here's hoping somehow we get an answer from someone.

Swtos, UDK, these guys must know a little though the actual 3D bit seems to be a carrot dangled to get everyone excited over individuals forthcoming roms.

udk does not directly answer the 3D question, swtos in his defense, has been blunt about the fact that HARDWARE acceleration doesnt exist in his rom which is fairplay.
14th September 2008, 10:45 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bally3

So the question is:

IS THE POLARIS CAPABLE OF HARDWARE ACCELERATED 3D?

the think is, if the chipset have hardware alleleration, so the polaris have hardware acceleration. we just need the software to unlock it. a time ago i read something about the qualcomm chip and there where standing that the chip have hardware acceleration. i dont think that htc has made a new chip for the polaris so it dont have hardware acceleration. they just used the chip how it was.
14th September 2008, 10:53 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tinternet

More
Which would mean it should be capable and we should try to ascertain which, if any files are missing from the Polaris as opposed to the almost identically specced Kaiser which has now seen true hardware acceleration.

Of course it might be some simple tweaking to the registry or the dll files to make the classaction drivers working.

I Found this thread in these forums. Look at the last post:

Can anyone run the D3d Mobile samples?

"i,ve had kinda the same problem trying to get some of the samples to run on my trinity, try changing d3dmpp.AutoDepthStencilFormat = D3DMFMT_D24S8;
Dont know if its the same problem but it helped me out."

Anyone care to venture a thought?
14th September 2008, 11:23 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tinternet

More
This is an interesting article:

microsoft.public.win32.programmer.directx.graphics

might be old news, might be new but this Don Crouch guy seems to know his stuff. Of interest is this line:

"Any device manufacturer should be spanked for shipping this driver as it was only designed for generating golden images to test drivers against. MS prohibits it from being shipped on any device."

This is in reference to the d3dmref.dll which IS present in the Polaris!
14th September 2008, 11:36 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tinternet

More
Been reading the Kaiser thread to see if I could better understand the issue:

D3D or OpenGL ES hardware acceleration for Qualcomm MSM7200

Reading the last posts we now also have to consider another question if there is a heat issue and HTC were aware of it:

SHOULD we try to hardware accelerate the Polaris???
14th September 2008, 11:52 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bally3

Been reading the Kaiser thread to see if I could better understand the issue:

D3D or OpenGL ES hardware acceleration for Qualcomm MSM7200

Reading the last posts we now also have to consider another question if there is a heat issue and HTC were aware of it:

SHOULD we try to hardware accelerate the Polaris???

good point. i mean, does anyone have real problems because he dont have the drivers? tomtom could be a little more faster but it works. last time i drove over 350miles and was using tomtom all the time and the device got really hot. so if its true i dont think i will use the drivers....

another question....does the kaiser really have 3d drivers ? i dont read the hole story.
15th September 2008, 09:56 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tinternet

More
OK, putting the "should we" question aside I've been doing some more delving into why the HtcClassAction.org kaiser driver doesnt work out of the box (mainly cos we all would still like to see the Polaris doing hardware accelerated 3D - and who could blame us?

So heres what I've found out so far:

1. Kaiser driver is compatible with roms which include a ddi.dll file version 3.28 and up - someone mentioned 3.55(my file version in the swtos rom shows 3.13.0.0?)

2. We might be missing some required dll's (anyone fancy doing some digging here plz?)

... I'll investigate further!
15th September 2008, 10:13 PM |#11  
Flag climbing somewhere...
Thanks Meter: 32

More
thanks bally3 for those news...
Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread