FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TIPS] How to brick your Touch Pro [FIXED!]

1,386 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,072

By rotohammer, Senior Member on 11th October 2008, 06:57 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I decided to play with the Debug Tool 3.2 and found all the Flash flags were set to 0. I saw there was a setting for Radio Flags. I set it to 8, wrote it, rebooted, just to see if there was any change in EDGE/3G capability (I have a Euro TP and I'm in the US). Since that didnt have any noticable effect, I changed the Radio Flags to 65535 , rebooted. The Phone showed the ToucHPro boot screen, then displayed the red version numbers and thats it.

I did a hard reset to reinit everything, no help. I reflashed the radio, no good either. Just reflashed the OS to DCS 1.5, still stuck.

Perhaps theres a way to reset the flags via MTTY in the bootloader, or through an AT command. If anyone has any ideas to try, let me know.

Edits:I just viewed the DebugToolAp.html and I think i know what I did wrong. Since I wrote a value of 65535 (16 bits, all ones), Im guessing the debug app properly converted it to hex and wrote 2 bytes instead of one, overflowing into the next location, where each 1 bit disables a piece of hardware. All 1's in that location would disable everything.

Now to figure out where that flash is and how to set those 2 locations back to 0's. I'm guessing I'll need a MFG SPL that has rtask enabled.

The Debug Tool calls the flash "PureFlash". Anyone know anything about it? Perhaps I can use JTAG to write to it? (I have a Wiggler)

Edit: running info 8 reports that I have 8 bad blocks, and based on similar symptoms posted on xda, the trick seems to be to run task 2a to fix the bad blocks, then task 28 to re-format the flash. But task 2a doesn't seem to do anything.

UPDATE: All the damage I did was repaired from remote by cmonex. I've learned my lesson, leave the tinkering to the experts!

11th October 2008, 09:34 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 90

More
dude if you want to brick your TP,instead of bricking it send it to me. i would be glad to accept.
11th October 2008, 09:51 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag New Jersey

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lover

dude if you want to brick your TP,instead of bricking it send it to me. i would be glad to accept.

I'll keep that in mind next time I feel like wasting $1000

I can hear the interweb say "You dumb ass!".
12th October 2008, 12:31 AM |#4  
Flag The Hague
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohammer

well kudos to you sir for bricking it and still keeping cool

maybe you can get some ideas in frankenkaiser-- it's connecting via radio SPL (OEMBSL) and I remember there is a read/write operation in there.
12th October 2008, 12:36 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag New Jersey

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfcsabre

well kudos to you sir for bricking it and still keeping cool

I'm not sweating it until someone who knows better tells me I done hosed it!
I still have a Kaiser and a Hermes, so I can still make calls

I'm browsing the the strings in HARD-SPL and see a lot of references to related bits, so I'm hoping theres a simple command in there to run to reset it.
12th October 2008, 09:50 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 90

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohammer

well attempting to brick sounds like wasting to me.
hehehe, if you want to brick flash a kaiser radio on raphael
12th October 2008, 11:59 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag New Jersey

More
I'm more of a dumb ass now
Update: True to the saying "A little knowledge is dangerous", I've succeeded in making matters worse.

Realizing task 2a wasn't working in HARD-SPL, I flashed back to the stock SPL, did the task 2a and then task 28. But now I can't flash HARD-SPL back, I just get "error 262". Flashing HARD-SPL from the SD Card just hangs on the loading message (never gets to the bar graph).

Since the CID is HTC_032 (Eastern European), I can't even try a SHIPPED ROM as I can't find one yet.

Running info 8 I only get checksums for SPL, not IPL. And I still have bad blocks.

I'm guessing the only thing left is to wait for a modified SPL that I can load into RAM, jump to it, and then try reloading HARD-SPL.

I'll stop fscking with it now, if I make it any worse then I know its JTAG time.
12th October 2008, 12:11 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Send it back for warranty... if YOU cant boot, then THEY cant too and see that you have modified the rom
12th October 2008, 12:16 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag New Jersey

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by licht77

Send it back for warranty... if YOU cant boot, then THEY cant too and see that you have modified the rom

Thats no fun I rather sit with it and wait for one of the big guns to advise.
12th October 2008, 09:58 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
I would suggest you pm cmonex , explain what you've done, and see what she recommends.
12th October 2008, 10:02 PM |#11  
Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Budapest
Thanks Meter: 49

More
hey there, I'm checking this thread as per your PM.

classic case of reading BUT not reading enough. and also messing around more even after realizing something is wrong.. I hope you agree :P

I'll first try to correct all the wrong information mentioned here...

1) the debugflags have nothing to do with the 3G enabling.
2) task 2a is only useful for hermes, you're lucky it didn't kill the SPL totally. why do you think it is removed from hardspl otherwise.
3) task 28 is a plain hard reset, same as the button combo for hardreset. (BTW, many touch pro's have the same number of bad blocks, mine included, god knows why)
4) JTAG is not as simple as that. what devices have you jtagged before? any devices that have no publicly available documentation for it?
5) frankenkaiser will not work on a diamond/touch pro, because the normal USB interface is disabled in oemsbl command line and in dload mode. please no one should try setting any bootmodes in oemsbl command line!!! instant brick if you set 1, 2, or 3. and by brick I really mean brick, this touch pro right now can still boot SPL so not a true brick.
6) there is no IPL since kaiser came out. now radio bootloaders boot the SPL, not IPL.
7) if you have no shipped rom for this, you're in a much bigger trouble than originally even if you manage to unset the flags. btw there is a way to unset them, but the way I know of will only work with hardspl, we'll see if there is any other way. but again, your biggest trouble isn't the flags right now.

ok, i'll reply to your PM too and see how to go from there.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)