Flat rate connection for Softbank Japan

660 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By larsuck, Senior Member on 1st November 2008, 03:10 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Quick and Dirty
  • Are you in Japan?
  • Do you have a Softbank SIM?
  • Do you have the Packet Flat Rate Full? or the older Packet Houdai? (In Japanese パッケト放題 and パッケト定額フル)
  • Do you want to use ANY unlocked WM-based phone on Softbank's network?
  • Then this cab is for you! Install and enjoy.

FAQ
Q: Doesn't the Connection Wizard do this automatically?
A: NO! Don't trust him! He is a Chaotic Evil Connection Wizard.
As many have found out to their disappointment, the Connection Wizard built into most ROMs installs the open-but-expensive Softbank connection. The Connection Wizard will try to set up the 64k digital data plan that charges per 30 seconds instead of per packet and the APN for this account is [email protected] or [email protected] So if you see [email protected] in your data settings, DELETE THOSE SETTINGS! This [email protected] AP is not compatible with the flat rate plans and is charged differently (read: heavily). Some have ended up with bills over 50,000 Yen.
Delete whatever connection the Connection Wizard makes for you before installing this cab.

Q: What does this cab do exactly?
A: It installs a connection with the following information:
Name: Softbank
Modem: Cellular (3G)
Access point: open.softbank.ne.jp
User name: opensoftbank
Password: ****************

Q: Why don't you just tell us the password and we can do it manually?
A: Softbank wouldn't like that.
Last April Softbank changed their password because it was published too widely. This created big problems for many people who were using the old password. To avoid this, I and others with the password have been trying to distribute it by non-public means (email, private messages, writing it on bathroom walls, etc).
Recently, some people who don't know any better have been publishing this information publicly, risking Softbank changing the password yet again, screwing us all. But don't get angry and send them flames . They can't help being that way.

Q: Can I use this connection with MMSLite?
A: Apparently you can, but the MMSLite connection information has been released widely and is available on this site. Do a search.

Q: Why is Softbank so secretive? And why did Softbank change the password? And if the MMSLite connection information has been public for so long, why don't they change that too?
A: Hey now, one question at a time.
The following is speculation, but here goes: I doubt Softbank has any automatic controls on the amount or type of data going through its mobile servers. They are probably worried that if this information gets out that people with SIM accepting notebooks / 3G modem cards can just use this information to get (relatively) cheap, limitless mobile broadband.
The first password change was done by a ROM update to the X01HT (Hermes). At the time, there were few enough X01HTs out there that they could afford to send every customer a 256mb microsd card with the ROM update on it. This ROM upgrade also changed the radio ROM to one which made it much more difficult to unlock the Hermes. Before this, lots of X01HTs were being bought subsidized from Softbank, unlocked, then sold on Ebay for a profit (and a subsequent loss for Softbank). Now that Softbank has more WM-based phones, and has stopped subsidizing handsets so drastically, a four-model, system-wide ROM update looks less and less likely. But it could happen.
The Softbank MMS connection is used system-wide by most of Softbank's phones, both smartphones and dumbphones. Any change to this protocol would be a huge headache for Softbank and is extremely unlikely.

Q: So, if I can get the password somehow I can use my Softbank SIM to surf my laptop and only pay the flatrate fee?
A: Probably. If you have a 3G modem that accepts WSIM cards.

Q: Will you PM me the password?
A: Sure. But it would probably be easier to use one of these links from some people who don't know any better

Q: This cab ROCKS! Who made it?
A: RayB

Q: Hey, where's the cab? Did you forget to attach it like some kind of idiot?
A: Yep. See the next post.

1st November 2008, 03:13 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Nowheresville

More
Here you are.
Attached Files
File Type: cab Softbank Connection.cab - [Click for QR Code] (52.0 KB, 500 views)
1st November 2008, 11:52 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thank you for your nice post.
By the way I just "discover" (edit : forgot to click on larsuck's link in original post) this: http://mb.softbank.jp/mb/en/price_pl...ull/index.html
Is the new limit for unlimited packet plan 5985yens? It would be a nice news!
There still are informations on the old unlimited packet plan, so I'm wondering if there is a trap...

Toni
1st November 2008, 12:11 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Nowheresville

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonidekohlanta

Thank you for your nice post.
By the way I just "discover" (edit : forgot to click on larsuck's link in original post) this: http://mb.softbank.jp/mb/en/price_pl...ull/index.html
Is the new limit for unlimited packet plan 5985yens? It would be a nice news!
There still are informations on the old unlimited packet plan, so I'm wondering if there is a trap...

Toni

I can't speak from experience, but I am 99.9% sure this password will work with the new rate. A guy using a stock X02HT on this thread reported that he was okay after switching. And I doubt he took his X02HT into the shop for them to change the AP.

I would switch and give it a try, but I have actually never used more than a couple thousand yen worth of data a month. I get most of my regular sites' feeds cached in using SPB Insight.
8th November 2008, 11:46 PM |#5  

More
I took the dive myself and setup the new data plan, was jsut a quick visit to the local softbank, and all still works fine technically. Just waiting on the revised bill to see if it actually took effect
10th November 2008, 03:20 PM |#6  
Flag Tokyo

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayB

I took the dive myself and setup the new data plan, was jsut a quick visit to the local softbank, and all still works fine technically. Just waiting on the revised bill to see if it actually took effect

please let us know
10th December 2008, 01:41 PM |#7  
Flag Tokyo

More
anybody???
17th December 2008, 11:34 AM |#8  

More
Sorry for the delayed response. My bill was all in order , so you should be safe upgrading to the new data plan from the old 10,000 yen per month plan. But you never know they could change things
23rd December 2008, 02:34 PM |#9  
Flag Tokyo

More
I can confirm that the connection.cab works also with Blackstone
25th December 2008, 02:02 PM |#10  
Flag Hiroshima
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I can confirm the connection.cab works with my diamond. I have flashed the x04ht rom found elsewhere on this board.

My billing cycle is as follows:

Usage is charged up to the 24th or so and then bill is released on the 7th of the following month.

I check my usage just now: パケット通信料 ~19,000円

It says that discounts have not yet been applied but after working this out to be something like 250,000 packets, I am a little worried. This is assuming the rate is 0.08 Yen per packet. I figure I have used about the same data as with my actual softbank device (the odd email check [mobile.gmail.com] and the odd browsing [less than 10 minutes of yahoo.co.jp etc]). I really don't use it much at all. I work usually 12 hours a day and I am too beat to mess with my diamond.

My previous months usage (including the same browsing habits and the mobile gmail) only ever peaked at like 60000 packets. Mind you I can only look at past bills in their post-discount-applied state.

I am going to call SB tomorrow and ask them what's up.
25th December 2008, 02:17 PM |#11  
Flag Hiroshima
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I can confirm the connection.cab works with my diamond. I have flashed the x04ht rom found elsewhere on this board.

My billing cycle is as follows:

Usage is charged up to the 24th or so and then bill is released on the 7th of the following month.

I check my usage just now: パケット通信料 ~19,000円

It says that discounts have not yet been applied but after working this out to be something like 250,000 packets, I am a little worried. This is assuming the rate is 0.08 Yen per packet. I figure I have used about the same data as with my actual softbank device (the odd email check [mobile.gmail.com] and the odd browsing [less than 10 minutes of yahoo.co.jp etc]). I really don't use it much at all. I work usually 12 hours a day and I am too beat to mess with my diamond.

My previous months usage (including the same browsing habits and the mobile gmail) only ever peaked at like 60000 packets. Mind you I can only look at past bills in their post-discount-applied state.

I am going to call SB tomorrow and ask them what's up.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)