FORUMS

Touch HD, first impressions

87 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By johnkorver, Member on 1st November 2008, 03:24 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
So indeed the UK model is available in the Netherlands, just got mine.

My first impressions:

- The device actually feels smaller than I thought, feels only slightly heavier than my Diamond and much lighter than my Pro.
- The screen sensitivity for my finger is great, however it seems that I have to press harder with the stylus than on my Diamond.
- I cannot prevent touchflo 3D from installing, softresetting before customisation brings the device back in setup mode.
- The screen and the size of the buttons are great for finger usage.
- The device is faster than my Diamond and Pro, Touchflo 3D is really improved in terms of speed, however there is a lag when using the file explorer I didn't had on my previous devices.
- I really like the small led in the power button, indicating charching, bluetooth, etc. No more irritating charching lights from the action button when the device is next to my bed.
- All software I installed on my Diamond works on my HD (Spb products, Mobipocket, Pocketbreeze.)
- Did not test the GPS
- There is a soft bag for protection of the HD. The good is that it doesn't make the device much thicker. The bad is that it will not provide much protection (but it is included!!)
- The device comes with a 8GB microSD card (Sandisk.)
- The HD can be used in the HTC cradle, but without the special inlays, so a bit risky for the connector.
- No video-out (not in settings.)
- The full QWERTY on screen keyboard is better than on my Diamond, but still small and not as responsive to touch as I would want (I am used to my Iphone ;))

Overall I think it is one of the best devices I have had for the last two years (a bit early to tell, but... first impression)
1st November 2008, 03:28 PM |#2  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 414

More
Can you tell us how vga apps work? Do they get stretched to fill the screen or are there black bars on top and bottom. I am talking about apps with no WVGA support.

Thanks!
1st November 2008, 03:46 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Great post! I'm really looking forward to finding out how people get along with the HD. It's number one on my list of devices to replace my Touch.
1st November 2008, 04:21 PM |#4  

More
please oh please try to play a divx movie thats perhaps the only thing that will make me sell my diamond i was used to see movies on my x7500 diamond sucks on plaaying video
1st November 2008, 04:55 PM |#5  

More
yeah please try coreplayer/tcpmp with divx/xvid movies tell us the results!!
also if possible try some H264 (mp4 AVC) encoded videos

try resolutions around 640x360!
1st November 2008, 05:02 PM |#6  
OP Member

More
Smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboy2000

Can you tell us how vga apps work? Do they get stretched to fill the screen or are there black bars on top and bottom. I am talking about apps with no WVGA support.

Thanks!

All apps I tried so far just scale to fill the screen.
It looks great!

The apps even look better than on my X7500!

After tweaking some performance settings and after installing 10 apps, this baby is fast!!!
Everything is almost instantanously, never seen this on a HTC device before (and I have had a lot ;))
1st November 2008, 05:09 PM |#7  

More
if you tell me it plays divx flawlessly ill put my diamond for sale right now hehehe
1st November 2008, 05:12 PM |#8  

More
Any comments about audio quality through the 3.5mm plug. Also does the cradle have audio out (through usb of the device)?
1st November 2008, 05:36 PM |#9  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkMoSs

yeah please try coreplayer/tcpmp with divx/xvid movies tell us the results!!
also if possible try some H264 (mp4 AVC) encoded videos

try resolutions around 640x360!

Well, tried a video, 656 x 272 pixels, see for your self, will try TomTom 7 now
1st November 2008, 05:37 PM |#10  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitri

if you tell me it plays divx flawlessly ill put my diamond for sale right now hehehe

Sell your Diamond ;)))

Trying to upload a video.... not that easy :((

Update: uploading zip files do not work from my computer, so you would have to believe me on my word....
1st November 2008, 05:51 PM |#11  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by exe

Any comments about audio quality through the 3.5mm plug. Also does the cradle have audio out (through usb of the device)?

The audio quality through the headset is great, its roughly the same as the Diamond, good bass, etc.

No sound through USB though, so no music through the cradle.

Looks great in the cradle though ;)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0368.jpg
Views:	2891
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	126458  
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)