FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Tethering VIA USB - Install and troubleshooting

1,403 posts
Thanks Meter: 55

By add3421, Senior Member on 7th November 2008, 01:39 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey,

Thanks to Grahamsz, he is the first (and only i believe) who has created a working tether app for our G1. The app works with edge,3g, and wifi.

Here are the instructions on how to set it up. Theese are copied from his website (http://graha.ms/androidproxy/). Please note that I have changed the link to the app which needs to be installed to the phone, because the one on his site is temporarily not working.

Tetherbot
Welcome

Wow - i didn't expect this would generate quite this much response. Looks like i've made the front page of Lifehacker and various other blogs.
What is this?

This is an experimental SOCKS proxy and Port Bouncer that should allow you to connect your laptop to the internet using the internet connection (EDGE, 3G or Wifi) of your T-Mobile G1 Cellphone.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

What is this not?

It's not really a true "tethering" app. Presently we don't have access to any low level packet APIs so it's impossible (without hacking the lower levels of the phone) to write something that does the kind of NAT connection possible with Windows Mobile phones.

Who are you?

My name's Graham Stewart, I'm a 28 yr old Software Consultant in Boulder, CO. I'm also involved in various other ventures, including the news discussion aggegrator banniNation.com. I'm also a keen photographer.
Installation

Read the bit above about no warranty again. This shouldn't damage your phone, but if it does, it's your own fault!

* Install the app on your android phone, by clicking here (from your phone browser of course)
You might have to change your settings to permit apps that don't come from the Google Market by going to your home screen and choosing MENU > Settings > Applications > Unknown Sources.
* Turn USB debugging on on your phone
On your G1 go to the home screen, press MENU > Settings > Applications > Development, then enable USB debugging.
* Follow the instructions here to install the Android driver - you'll need to do this on Windows & Linux but apparently not on the Mac.
* Download and install the Android SDK for your computer platform. Alternatively if you are on Windows and don't want a 100 meg download, just get the ADB utility from here
* Plug your phone into your computer

Using the Socks Proxy

The SOCKS proxy will let you connect things like firefox to the internet

* Choose Tetherbot from your phone's menu
* Press the "Start Socks" button on your phone
* Move to the directory that has the adb utility, using inside the Sdk Tools folder and run

Windows: adb forward tcp:1080 tcp:1080
Linux/Mac: ./adb forward tcp:1080 tcp:1080

* Now you should have a socks proxy running on port 1080 that you can use to configure firefox
Okay i got it to work using an Add on from Firefox

Download FoxyProxy from mozilla page..
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...+Proxy&cat=all
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Open the FoxyProxy Options

Proxies ----->

Add New Proxy ------>

General (Check enable,Proxy Name: Tetherbot, Leave blank Proxy Notes, Select Animation icon & Include this proxy) ---------->

Proxy Details (Select Manual Proxy Configuration, Host name: localhost Port: 1080, Select Socks proxy?-Socks v5) Click ok a warning message should appear saying "You didn't enter and enable any white....." Hit yes

Tools/FoxyProxy/Use Proxy "Tetherbot for all URLs

Now refresh your page and see if you are able to go online..

Socks Proxy: localhost
Port: 1080

Leave the others blank
* Remember to disable your proxy settings in firefox if you want to stop using your phone.

Using the Port Bouncer

The port bouncer will let you connect to a single port on a remote host. This works well if you need to establish an SSH tunnel to your home machine.

This should work for TCP only vpns (openvpn can be configured in this mode) but it wont work for Microsoft PPTP (because it's GRE based) or most typical openvpn setups (because they are UDP based).

* Choose Tetherbot from your phone's menu
* Enter the hostname of the server you wish to connect to on your phone
* Enter the port you wish to use
* Press the "Start Tunnel" button on your phone
* Move to the directory that has the adb utility, using inside the Sdk Tools folder and run

Windows: adb forward tcp:4444 localabstract:Tunnel
Linux/Mac: ./adb forward tcp:4444 localabstract:Tunnel

* Now you should have a tunnel connecting from port 4444 on your local host to the port on the host of your choice
* To establish an ssh connection, type something like

ssh -p 4444 user@localhost

and you should be routed through to the server in question

Credits

Thanks to my wife and boss for their patience while I scramble to get this working.

8th November 2008, 04:04 AM |#2  
Marina, CA
Thanks Meter: 7

More
hi aad4321, do you know where can i add the socks proxy : localhost in the latest version of firefox?

i have this options ( firefox version 3.03 ), i have tried em all, one by one but i cant access the internet yet

http proxy port
ssl proxy port
ftp proxy port
gopher proxy port
socks host port

i also have this options

socks v4 or socks v5 ( does it matter ? )

and i have windows xp on a asus eeepc 900
thank you for your help.
8th November 2008, 07:57 AM |#3  
Las Vegas
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfmetal

hi aad4321, do you know where can i add the socks proxy : localhost in the latest version of firefox?

i have this options ( firefox version 3.03 ), i have tried em all, one by one but i cant access the internet yet

http proxy port
ssl proxy port
ftp proxy port
gopher proxy port
socks host port

i also have this options

socks v4 or socks v5 ( does it matter ? )

and i have windows xp on a asus eeepc 900
thank you for your help.

Firefox won't let you use Socks by it self. So you need to download a Add-on called FoxyProxy

Download FoxyProxy from mozilla page..
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...yproxy&cat=all

Once downloaded do this..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Open the FoxyProxy Options

Proxies ----->

Add New Proxy ------>

General (Check enable,Proxy Name: Tetherbot, Leave blank Proxy Notes, Select Animation icon & Include this proxy) ---------->

Proxy Details (Select Manual Proxy Configuration, Host name: localhost Port: 1080, Select Socks proxy?-Socks v5) Click ok a warning message should appear saying "You didn't enter and enable any white....." Hit yes

Tools/FoxyProxy/Use Proxy "Tetherbot for all URLs

Now refresh your page and see if you are able to go online..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update: Make sure you to Check "Use SOCKS proxy for DNS lookups" Is Under Global Settings. By L3wis/L3wish
The Following User Says Thank You to l3wish For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift l3wish Ad-Free
9th November 2008, 04:12 AM |#4  
Marina, CA
Thanks Meter: 7

More
is working now
thanks a lot l3wis
i wonder if i can use msn messenger( the actual program, not web based) because i tested it in the options menu and it read something like this :

connecting to the proxy...
connecting to the server...
We are unable to connect (0).
Resolving the proxy name...
connecting to the proxy...
connecting to the server...
Connected, verifying ability to send data now...
Success, you can connect to the windows live messenger service.

but when i hit SIGN IN, returns an UNABLE TO CONNECT....etc etc.
error code: 800048820
extended error code: 8004840a
so i wonder if exists an addon or independent program like foxyproxy for msn messenger, thank you.
9th November 2008, 02:23 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
wow this is cool. i'll give it a try
9th November 2008, 10:34 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Can anybody help me with this? I put my phone into debug mode, (i have windows by the way) but the computer wont recognize it the correct way so i cant get to the install from selected hardware or w.e. I have both the driver and the adb plugin for windows, but when i try to run the adb a command prompt flashes on the screen for a split second and then nothing, anyone have some helpful ideas? thanks.
11th November 2008, 08:26 AM |#7  
Las Vegas

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondamx525

Can anybody help me with this? I put my phone into debug mode, (i have windows by the way) but the computer wont recognize it the correct way so i cant get to the install from selected hardware or w.e. I have both the driver and the adb plugin for windows, but when i try to run the adb a command prompt flashes on the screen for a split second and then nothing, anyone have some helpful ideas? thanks.

Unzip AdbWin to your desktop
Open command prompt type
cd\+Enter
cd (Directory to your AdbWin folder) example C:\Users\NAME\Desktop\AdbWin+enter
paste adb forward tcp:1080 tcp:1080+enter

and if you do everything right Daemon should start right away.

Here is a screen shot

11th November 2008, 03:40 PM |#8  

More
that got running, thanks for help bro, but it says it cant recognize the device, obviously because i cant get the driver to install, does anybody have any help on this?
12th November 2008, 04:03 AM |#9  
Las Vegas

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondamx525

that got running, thanks for help bro, but it says it cant recognize the device, obviously because i cant get the driver to install, does anybody have any help on this?

You said your on XP right?
12th November 2008, 10:45 PM |#10  
Flag LI, NY

More
Mod rc30
Anyone having issues with the modded RC30? I just updated now when ever I type in the command the daemon dose not start.
12th November 2008, 11:28 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Wilmington!
Thanks Meter: 55

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chryslerq

Anyone having issues with the modded RC30? I just updated now when ever I type in the command the daemon dose not start.

It could be already running in the background of ur pc, try looking in processes and end the process. then run the command again
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
sharing internet android, tether, tethering

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)