FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

initlogo.rle: display an image on boot

44 posts
Thanks Meter: 41

By alansj, Member on 8th November 2008, 05:56 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
You can display a "splash" screen of sorts upon boot. You just have to have a file named initlogo.rle in your root directory. The trick is that the root directory is overwritten each time you boot with the contents of your boot image (mtd2). There are instructions elsewhere on the forums for updating this image.

You can prove to yourself that this works by just copying logo.rle to initlogo.rle in your updated boot image and you will see the "G1" screen twice.

The hurdle I'm running into is generating my own images. There is a program called to565 that takes in an image and spits out the resulting image in the appropriate format (give it the -r flag to generate an rle) [edit, correct flag is -rle]. However, everything I generate with this just looks like random colored bars when I boot up (and sometimes at the bottom of the screen I see part of whatever was left in the framebuffer when I shut down). Supposedly to565 takes in a raw rgb888 file, and perhaps I'm not generating those properly. I tried saving to "raw image" from gimp but so far everything is just different variations on colored bars.

I may give up at this point, but I thought others might be interesting in picking up where I left off.

8th November 2008, 06:05 AM |#2  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Huh. Interesting. I'll see if I can give it a whirl. Thanks for posting the info you've found so far
The Following User Says Thank You to JesusFreke For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JesusFreke Ad-Free
8th November 2008, 06:13 AM |#3  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 52

More
I took a quick look at the source of that to565 program. It looks like you need to use -rle instead of just -r. Did you try that?
8th November 2008, 06:48 PM |#4  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusFreke

I took a quick look at the source of that to565 program. It looks like you need to use -rle instead of just -r. Did you try that?

You sir, are correct! I just did it with -rle and it works.
8th November 2008, 07:57 PM |#5  
OP Member

More
How to create a boot image:
1. put a properly encoded initlogo.rle in root directory
2. insert this line in init.rc in the boot: section (optional, this disables the stock android boot animation)
Code:
setprop debug.sf.nobootanimation 1
3. wrap it all up and flash it to mtd2

Attached:
1. A boot image with these changes made. To try it on your phone, first back up your mtd2 image (the boot image). Type the following in a root shell to back it up to your sdcard:
Code:
cat /dev/mtd/mtd2 > /sdcard/mtd2.img
Then, unzip boot-rc29-customlogo.img.zip it and stick it on your sdcard and type the following in a root shell:
Code:
cat /dev/zero >> /dev/mtd/mtd2
flash_image boot /sdcard/boot-rc29-customlogo.img
(when you do the cat, it will tell you "write: No space left on device," which is fine)

To restore your original boot image, do the cat and then flash_image your mtd2.img backup.

2. Samples of the raw image as well as the rle encoded version.

3. A nifty photo of this working on my phone.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hackdroid-boot.jpg
Views:	44699
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	128380  
Attached Files
File Type: zip boot-rc29-customlogo.img.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.45 MB, 3908 views)
File Type: zip initlogo.raw.zip - [Click for QR Code] (17.6 KB, 2398 views)
File Type: zip initlogo.rle.zip - [Click for QR Code] (4.1 KB, 3424 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alansj For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift alansj Ad-Free
8th November 2008, 08:08 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Thumbs up
WOW awesome!! great job will test this out when i get back from the airport
8th November 2008, 08:26 PM |#7  

More
i couldn't wait so i did it works perfectly. i just can't get rid of the first boot .img.(i see the instruction but i need further help) if this helps i have a vista 64 but, I'm also running VM to any operating system.
8th November 2008, 10:01 PM |#8  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by humble

i couldn't wait so i did it works perfectly. i just can't get rid of the first boot .img.(i see the instruction but i need further help) if this helps i have a vista 64 but, I'm also running VM to any operating system.

Yeah, actually I haven't found a way to get rid of the G1 logo on boot. If you change logo.rle on the root filesystem, it still shows that image. I'll post a longer guide to generating your own boot.img later tonight (although I posted a bunch of it in another thread already). You could always create your own boot.img and replace logo.rle to prove to yourself that it doesn't change that initial logo... but I've tried it. It must be somewhere else (including, perhaps, some on-phone memory that we can't access).
8th November 2008, 11:02 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
hmmm so i've done this correctly since the boot image works...however i no longer have WIFI access. Does anyone knoe whats going on? under settings it keeps saying turning wifi ON... but it doesnt.

EDIT: So i reflashed the original backup img and now its fine. I wonder where i went wrong?
8th November 2008, 11:08 PM |#10  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack

hmmm so i've done this correctly since the boot image works...however i no longer have WIFI access. Does anyone knoe whats going on? under settings it keeps saying turning wifi ON... but it doesnt.

Did you use the boot.img I posted or one of your own? I'm not having any trouble with wifi, and I'm booted with that one. Do you see anything in dmesg about wifi?

Edit: also, it looks like JesusFreke had some issues with wifi not working when he was doing custom boot images. Dunno the details but maybe it's related.
8th November 2008, 11:18 PM |#11  

More
thanks alansj (sorry i miss read). and my wifi still works
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)