Originally Posted by fourcc
maybe my comments are silly but after those long discussions about battery draining in Raphael and diamond devices i find curious that nobody has said anything about this tool.
correct me if i'm wrong but this tool seems the best tool i've seen until know to check what the hell is draining our devices when in standby or calling or Data downloading or whatever.
i don't know too much about how it runs but i expect to learn it after some tests i will do.
I think that this tool will let me discover which running process is draining my battery, of course this tool won't tell it to me but after some testsenabling and disabling processes i will be able to see which one/s is/are the guilties.
I guess that the "ma" value that changes over time is per hour right? maybe PalladiumTD, could you explain me how to use this tool as if i would be a dummy, ( you can take out the "as if" if you want...
i don't understand the difference between "average current (ma)" and total usage (mah). The display doesn't change its contents when i switch between these options.
BTW it seems to run in my GSM device with unprotected Proven ROM 1.502. of course i can't install Nuepower driver.
is this tool trustable and accurate?
it doesn't seem to instantly react depending of what is running in the phone. it reacts after a while. ( of course i have it set to one second update)
and apparently it jumps from -78ma to -145ma and to -215ma without doing anything special. The Phone is just flashed with only battlog installed and running and it jumps between these values for no apparently reason.
Also i don't see any difference between having HDSP enabled or disabled (GPRS).
if i turn on Wifi, i see a big difference.
The benchmark test doesn't seem to run. it does not call and it does not download anything. (with wifi turned on)
I guess I really ought to write a manual?? Anyway the top for windows are live readings REPORTED by windows they are (left to right/top to bottom) Battery level, Battery Voltage, Battery Temperature, Current being drawn from the battery. These are realtime numbers.
The display average current and total Usage options on the update log menu apply to the Phone Current and Data Current boxes. (just below the 4 realtime boxes. These all total the current drawn during a voice or data call and allow you to see the average current drawn from the battery and the total power drawn from the battery (in mAH i.e. milliamp hours).
The fluctations in power draw may be real, I see them on the CDMA version when I am in a low signal area. the -78ma is close to what I have seen with the backlight off, the -120 - 150 ma when the backlight is on at 50%, the -215 may be an intermittent radio transmission (just speculation...)
With HDSP or GPRS enabled, you should only see a current draw when the radio is transmitting or receiving (i.e. when you are transfering data).
As far as accuracy, these numbers will be only as accurate as what the phone hardware is reporting. To keep it as generic as possible, I pull the values through the WinMo SystemStatus interface which makes it a bit sluggish in updating if other applications are running.
To run the test you must have .net Compact framework 3.5 loaded, it will not run without it. With that loaded, the benchmark should run (as it call only native WinMo functions). If you have .netCF3.5 loaded PM me and I'll see if we can troubleshoot..
One difference between the CDMA and GSM versions is that the CDMA hardware only reports current draw (as a positive number) I am guessing that The GSM phones report net current draw in the standard WinMo manner ,( i.e. negative for discharge, positive for charging and the number reported is the sum of the discharge and charging currents).
If there is interest (and someone could provide me with a log file from a GSM Phone while not connected to the charger, then when connected to the charger) I will make a GSM flavor of this utility, but will need some willing beta testers as I don't have a GSM Raphael...