FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[UTIL] BattLog 0.2.3.130 (Beta)

22 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By PalladiumTD, Junior Member on 12th November 2008, 02:35 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
There has been so much speculation on battery performance on the Sprint version that I wrote this logging program. This is the first stable Beta Version, Please PM me with bug reports (and as usual use at your own risk).

I know that it works for the CDMA version if someone wants to try it on the GSM version that would be great. Also Using the nuePower Battery driver for the Diamond give better resolution on the battery level.

What it logs:

1. a. Date and Time
b. Is AC Charger Attached
c. Battery Voltage
d. Battery Current (Discharge)
e. Battery Temperature
f. Battery level (%)
g. Pertinent System events:
a. Active Application
b. Speaker Phone Activity
c. Phone Radio Off/On
d. Phone Active Data Call (EVDO/1xRTT Activity)
e. No Phone Service
f. Phone Searching For Service
g. Bluetooth Power State On/off
h. Bluetooth Hands Free Audio in use (BT Headphones)
i. Bluetooth Hands Free Control in use (BT HF Headset)
j. WiFi Power On
k. WiFi Connected
l. Bluetooth Connections Count
m. Bluetooth Connections Descriptions
n. Cellular Connections Count
o. Cellular Connections Descriptions
p. Phone Call (Talking)

I have been unable to locate where HTC has hidden the charging current so if anyone could let me know that I would appreciate it.

Also, It dumps the data into a CSV file that you can pull into excel if you like. Please PM me with Bug Reports. There is a read.me version of the manual in the cab with a caution about logging to a storage card, please be aware of that if you plan on dumping your log to the storage card.

Version 0.2.3.130

New Features:
Support for Windows Mobile 5
Native QVGA Support (Properly Scales the Graph)
Can toggle between F and C for the Battery Temperature

Bug Fixes:
Properly deletes the downloaded file in the Benchmark test
Some additional Exception handling added

VERSION 0.2.1.105+ REQUIRES .NETCF 3.5!
Attached Files
File Type: zip BattLog0.2.3.130.zip - [Click for QR Code] (380.5 KB, 4742 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to PalladiumTD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PalladiumTD Ad-Free

12th November 2008, 07:32 PM |#2  
OP Junior Member
Flag Seymour, TN

More
I have uploaded a new version of the utility 0.1.1.58.

Includes the following Bug Fixes:

1) Now throws an update for every event. Previous Logic would drop events if another event occurred prior to the timed update.
2) Now allows the system to drop into Power mode D3 (sleep)
12th November 2008, 08:22 PM |#3  
Nashville, TN
Thanks Meter: 11

More
love the idea. will be reporting soon.
13th November 2008, 02:33 AM |#4  
OP Junior Member
Flag Seymour, TN

More
I have uploaded a new version with some reported bug fixes...

The following bug fixes are in place:

1) If multiple events occur while saving the log, a file in use exception would be thrown. It is now properly handled.
2) Visibility of the plots is now properly implemented.
27th November 2008, 07:31 AM |#5  
OP Junior Member
Flag Seymour, TN

More
After slugging through several long days of debugging and testing I have uploaded ver 0.2.1 of the battery log/diagnostics program.

What's new:
added mAH consumption counters for Data and Phone calls
Added a Battery Benchmark Module
Fixed a few miscellaneous bugs.

Benchmark Module details:
This module places the phone in a standard state (screen and backlight on, data connection active and Bluetooth radio on and discoverable). Then performs a 5 minute continuous data download, followed by a 20 minute telephone call. And saves a final report detailing power usage and AC adapter and charging times.
1st December 2008, 07:46 PM |#6  
Berlin
Thanks Meter: 9

More
maybe my comments are silly but after those long discussions about battery draining in Raphael and diamond devices i find curious that nobody has said anything about this tool.
correct me if i'm wrong but this tool seems the best tool i've seen until know to check what the hell is draining our devices when in standby or calling or Data downloading or whatever.
i don't know too much about how it runs but i expect to learn it after some tests i will do.
I think that this tool will let me discover which running process is draining my battery, of course this tool won't tell it to me but after some testsenabling and disabling processes i will be able to see which one/s is/are the guilties.

I guess that the "ma" value that changes over time is per hour right? maybe PalladiumTD, could you explain me how to use this tool as if i would be a dummy, ( you can take out the "as if" if you want...

i don't understand the difference between "average current (ma)" and total usage (mah). The display doesn't change its contents when i switch between these options.

BTW it seems to run in my GSM device with unprotected Proven ROM 1.502. of course i can't install Nuepower driver.

is this tool trustable and accurate?
it doesn't seem to instantly react depending of what is running in the phone. it reacts after a while. ( of course i have it set to one second update)
and apparently it jumps from -78ma to -145ma and to -215ma without doing anything special. The Phone is just flashed with only battlog installed and running and it jumps between these values for no apparently reason.
Also i don't see any difference between having HDSP enabled or disabled (GPRS).
if i turn on Wifi, i see a big difference.
The benchmark test doesn't seem to run. it does not call and it does not download anything. (with wifi turned on)
2nd December 2008, 04:23 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member
Flag Seymour, TN

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourcc

maybe my comments are silly but after those long discussions about battery draining in Raphael and diamond devices i find curious that nobody has said anything about this tool.
correct me if i'm wrong but this tool seems the best tool i've seen until know to check what the hell is draining our devices when in standby or calling or Data downloading or whatever.
i don't know too much about how it runs but i expect to learn it after some tests i will do.
I think that this tool will let me discover which running process is draining my battery, of course this tool won't tell it to me but after some testsenabling and disabling processes i will be able to see which one/s is/are the guilties.

I guess that the "ma" value that changes over time is per hour right? maybe PalladiumTD, could you explain me how to use this tool as if i would be a dummy, ( you can take out the "as if" if you want...

i don't understand the difference between "average current (ma)" and total usage (mah). The display doesn't change its contents when i switch between these options.

BTW it seems to run in my GSM device with unprotected Proven ROM 1.502. of course i can't install Nuepower driver.

is this tool trustable and accurate?
it doesn't seem to instantly react depending of what is running in the phone. it reacts after a while. ( of course i have it set to one second update)
and apparently it jumps from -78ma to -145ma and to -215ma without doing anything special. The Phone is just flashed with only battlog installed and running and it jumps between these values for no apparently reason.
Also i don't see any difference between having HDSP enabled or disabled (GPRS).
if i turn on Wifi, i see a big difference.
The benchmark test doesn't seem to run. it does not call and it does not download anything. (with wifi turned on)

I guess I really ought to write a manual?? Anyway the top for windows are live readings REPORTED by windows they are (left to right/top to bottom) Battery level, Battery Voltage, Battery Temperature, Current being drawn from the battery. These are realtime numbers.

The display average current and total Usage options on the update log menu apply to the Phone Current and Data Current boxes. (just below the 4 realtime boxes. These all total the current drawn during a voice or data call and allow you to see the average current drawn from the battery and the total power drawn from the battery (in mAH i.e. milliamp hours).

The fluctations in power draw may be real, I see them on the CDMA version when I am in a low signal area. the -78ma is close to what I have seen with the backlight off, the -120 - 150 ma when the backlight is on at 50%, the -215 may be an intermittent radio transmission (just speculation...)

With HDSP or GPRS enabled, you should only see a current draw when the radio is transmitting or receiving (i.e. when you are transfering data).

As far as accuracy, these numbers will be only as accurate as what the phone hardware is reporting. To keep it as generic as possible, I pull the values through the WinMo SystemStatus interface which makes it a bit sluggish in updating if other applications are running.

To run the test you must have .net Compact framework 3.5 loaded, it will not run without it. With that loaded, the benchmark should run (as it call only native WinMo functions). If you have .netCF3.5 loaded PM me and I'll see if we can troubleshoot..

One difference between the CDMA and GSM versions is that the CDMA hardware only reports current draw (as a positive number) I am guessing that The GSM phones report net current draw in the standard WinMo manner ,( i.e. negative for discharge, positive for charging and the number reported is the sum of the discharge and charging currents).

If there is interest (and someone could provide me with a log file from a GSM Phone while not connected to the charger, then when connected to the charger) I will make a GSM flavor of this utility, but will need some willing beta testers as I don't have a GSM Raphael...
2nd December 2008, 06:13 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Found via freewarepocketpc.net
Your Battlog utility is described on freewarepocketpc.net here: http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/ppc-...d-battlog.html

Unfortunately, the download link points to Batti (another good utility) rather than Battlog.

I downloaded Battlog from your link here, and when trying to run Battlog the first time, I got the following error: BattLog.exe MissingMethodException Method not found: get_CellularSystemConnectedEvdo Microsoft.WindowsMobile.Status.SystemState. at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.Form._SetVisibleNotify(Boolea n fVis) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_Visible(Boolean value) at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form fm) at BatteryStatus.Program.Main() At the time when I ran this, my phone (PPC-6700 running WM5, .Net CF 2.0 & 3.5 installed) was connected to my computer via ActiveSync, the battery was fully charged, and the WiFi was turned on (and connected, I believe). the 1xRTT connection was not connected, as far as I know (no evdo on Cellular South in our area yet).

I'm no programmer (my expertise is in IT: remote access support, hardware, networking, etc.), but I hope this helps you. This looks like a worthwhile utility that has a lot of promise.

*edit*
I verified that I receive the same error if disconnected from ActiveSync, and after a soft reset. I also receive the error if WiFi is turned off and the 1xRTT connection is established.

Maybe I'm digging too deep; is this WM5 compatible, or WM6 only?

Sorry, I guess this could be a "bug report" and should have been PM'd to you. I didn't see that part until after I'd posted this.
*/edit*
2nd December 2008, 06:40 PM |#9  
OP Junior Member
Flag Seymour, TN

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekServer

Your Battlog utility is described on freewarepocketpc.net here: http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/ppc-...d-battlog.html

Unfortunately, the download link points to Batti (another good utility) rather than Battlog.

I downloaded Battlog from your link here, and when trying to run Battlog the first time, I got the following error: BattLog.exe MissingMethodException Method not found: get_CellularSystemConnectedEvdo Microsoft.WindowsMobile.Status.SystemState. at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.Form._SetVisibleNotify(Boolea n fVis) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_Visible(Boolean value) at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form fm) at BatteryStatus.Program.Main() At the time when I ran this, my phone (PPC-6700 running WM5, .Net CF 2.0 & 3.5 installed) was connected to my computer via ActiveSync, the battery was fully charged, and the WiFi was turned on (and connected, I believe). the 1xRTT connection was not connected, as far as I know (no evdo on Cellular South in our area yet).

I'm no programmer (my expertise is in IT: remote access support, hardware, networking, etc.), but I hope this helps you. This looks like a worthwhile utility that has a lot of promise.

Unfortunately, the many of the systemstate Classes that I use to detect the usage of the cellular radios aren't directly accessible from managed code in WM5. I will have see if I can code around it or remove some of the functionality when run on WM5. Thanks for the Info BTW.
2nd December 2008, 06:52 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
You're welcome!

I know that I'm in a rapidly dwindling minority of WM5 users, but I love my PPC-6700, batter hog though it is, and I'm getting as much use as I can out of it before I choose a replacement from Cellular South's somewhat limited selection. (And I must admit, I am holding out hope that Google Android powered phones live up to their hype.)

Thank you for looking at this, and I'll be watching for a WM5 version!
2nd December 2008, 07:58 PM |#11  
Inactive Senior Recognized Developer / Moderator Emeritus
Flag Riverside, CA
Thanks Meter: 1,560

Donate to Me
More
Palladium, have you taken a look at the HTC-written TBattery app here?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=451646

It might help in your further development. Appreciate your work!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)