Pedometer using Diamond's built in Accelerometer

90 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By lightsailpro, Member on 13th December 2008, 06:18 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
=========================================
3/14/2009 Pedometer 1.42 is released.

What's new:

--Fixed "InvalidCastException" error for non-english regional setting.

NOTE:
1) If you want to keep your old jogging data, and customized sound file and background file, you need to save the "pedometer.sdf", "background.jpg", and "StepSound.wav" files, install the new version, then copy back these files to \program files\elitemway\pedometer folder.
2) !!! The pedometer is designed to count relatively accurately when you carry the phone vertically or horizontally around you left or right side of your waist belt. It may give you wrong result if carry your phone otherwise. Step detection algorithm that can handle all carrying position and walking/running conditions is very complicated and is beyond my knowledge. Step length and Calories conversion are unique for each individual and walking condition. There is no way that this can be very accurate. You may adjust these values in the "Setting" screen. The application is not globalized yet. Like all other xda developers, I have to find spare time working on this project. Thank you for your understanding!

==================================================

3/12/2009 Pedometer 1.41 patch is released.

What's new:

--Fixed the version number.
--When you set the distance unit to "mile", it still displays the distance value as km. This bug is fixed in the patch.

Copy the attached zipped exe to elitemway\pedometer folder, override the existing one.

12/25/2008 Pedometer 1.4 is released. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

What's new:

--The pedometer should also work when carrying in horizontal position. Please report if the counting is accurate enough.
--Added "Show toolbar" setting so that you can choose whether to show the toolbar on the main screen.

12/16/2008 Pedometer 1.3 is released.

What's new:

--Added battery threshhold setting. The program will pause pedometer, automatically save the current progress and then allow device to go into standby mode based on the Power setting when battery level falls below a certain value.
--Relocate the buttons from the main screen to menu.
--Display battery status on the main screen.
--You can change the background by replacing the default "Background.jpg" file.

12/15/2008 Pedometer 1.2 is released.

What's new:

--Step detection is a little bit better. It still has a lot of room for improvement though.
--While Pedometer is running, the screen will dim, but will not standby.
--The "Hide" button not only turns off the screen, it can also prevent the device from going into stanby mode. So you can let it run in the background for a long time. If you want to keep it running, do not use the Power button, instead using the Hide button.
--Pause button stops both time and step count. It will also stop the timer. So when it is paused, the device can be in the standby mode to save battery.
--I let it run around 7 hrs in office environment with fully charged batterry (1350mAh), with Blackberry connect and a few emails, no step sound, I still had about 45% left at the end.
--You can mute the step sound from the main screen.
--Now it has the HTC Diamond black transparent background. See the screenshot.
--The default step sound is shorter and "big foot" like. You can customize the sound by replace the default "StepSound.wav" file (do not use anything above 0.2 sec). Nero 8 wave editor and other tool is good for sound editing.
--Added error handling for possible decimal conversion error due to different regional setting. As a workaround, you can probably change you regional setting to English, then run the application, finish the setting, then change it back.

12/13/2008 Pedometer Release 1.0 summary

I searched extensively for a pedometer application that works on Diamond, but could not find anything. So I created one.

--It uses HTC Touch Diamond's built in Accelerometer.
--Only .Net CF 2.0 is required (comes with Diamond).
--You can pause and reset the step counter.
--It displays steps, distance, calories and time duration.
--You can use the Hide button to save battery.
--You can set the step length and calories per mile value.
--You can save, delete and view the historical data.
--The historical data is stored in Microsoft SQLCe compact database.
--It can play the sound when the step is detected.
--It can sound an alarm when the set distance is reached.
--Briefly tested with the US unlocked version of the Diamond and Sprint version of the Diamond.
--The sensor.dll is from http://www.koushikdutta.com/search/label/Sensor%20API

Tips:
--First, verify and set your preferred setting from the menu item.
--Find the best carrying position with the "Play step sound" option on.
--Use the Hide button to save battery.
--You can install on storage card, but it can break the application if you use the storage mode while the Pedometer application is running.

Known Issues:

--Step detection is not accurate sometime. The algorithm needs improvement.
--Hide mode does not prevent from going into sleep mode.
--After changing the setting, you need to close then reopen the application for teh new setting to take effect.
--It only works if the diamond is in the vertical position.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen01.jpg
Views:	17087
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	137899   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen02.jpg
Views:	5534
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	137900   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen041.png
Views:	5244
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	137902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen042.png
Views:	3421
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	137903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen05.png
Views:	3326
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	137904  
Attached Files
File Type: zip elitemway_Pedometer_1.42.zip - [Click for QR Code] (943.5 KB, 15508 views)

13th December 2008, 04:10 PM |#2  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 52

More
nice work buddy
13th December 2008, 04:42 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Looks promising, thanks for the work!
13th December 2008, 05:00 PM |#4  

More
any chance this would work on a touch pro? Also, if i wanted to leave it on all day just to basically see how many steps i'm getting in on a typical day, does that basically mean i'll have to recharge my phone everyday or is the battery footprint very low?

thanks!
13th December 2008, 05:00 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 45

More
this could be pretty useful. thanks
13th December 2008, 05:26 PM |#6  

More
Nice work, I just came on here to look for one of these, thanks for the convenience haha
13th December 2008, 06:46 PM |#7  

More
Thx for the ap, i was working on my one some time ago but stop after having bad etection when running, im going to test yours and given a feedback.
13th December 2008, 08:31 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
work well on Touch HD and Diamond but... i run for twenty steps but... it counted only nine.. (bouth diamond and touch HD was in vertical position)...

thank you
13th December 2008, 10:37 PM |#9  
OP Member

More
Step detection algorithm is hard to do. I will see if it can be improved.
13th December 2008, 10:48 PM |#10  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadywwf316

any chance this would work on a touch pro? Also, if i wanted to leave it on all day just to basically see how many steps i'm getting in on a typical day, does that basically mean i'll have to recharge my phone everyday or is the battery footprint very low?

thanks!

Not sure if it will work on TouchPro. It should work though. This utility is still in early development stage. I do not have battery consumption data yet. The key is to find a reliable step detection algorithm. Thanks.
14th December 2008, 05:33 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
On my Touch Pro, RomeOS 1.51 :

When I try to run this APP.

Conversion from string "0.235" to type "Decimal" is not valid.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)