The linked instructions on my blog will stay up to date, I can't guarantee this post will. I recommend going to my site to get full up to date instructions: http://www.koushikdutta.com/2008/12/...deploying.html
This is simply a build of the Android source tree with the Maps application included. Note that this does not have Gmail, YouTube, Market, or IM.
This is just a preview of what is to come in the next OTA update. I would not say this is a really usable build by any means.
Here is the list of new features: http://source.android.com/roadmap/cupcake
- You must have a rooted (or a dev) phone.
- Install the JesusFreke's RC30 V1.3. This will give you a root shell root access in recovery mode. A root adb shell is required for the next step. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=443713
- Install the engineering boot loader. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=455860
- Download the cupcake installation images to your computer. Extract them to a folder somewhere. http://koushikdutta.blurryfox.com/G1/cupcake.zip
- Start your phone up into fastboot mode. You can do this by shutting your phone off, and holding camera and power. You will see Androids on skateboards.
- Connect your phone to your computer. Press the back button on your phone until your screen says FASTBOOT.
- Go to a terminal on your computer and navigate to your extracted files and type:
- chmod a+x fastboot
- ./fastboot flash system system.img
- ./fastboot flash boot boot.img
- ./fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
- ./fastboot reboot
- If your phone hangs for a long time while flashing or rebooting, unplug and reconnect your phone. I run into this issue, and that is how I work around it.
Do it Yourself Instructions
- Follow these instructions to get the Android source: http://source.android.com/download
- Follow these instructions to target Dream hardware and generate the images: http://source.android.com/documentat...ding-for-dream
- Several (relatively minor) changes in the Dream audio driver code to fix compilation issues.
- Copied libOmxCore.so to mydroid/out/target/product/dream/system/lib (this was a missing step in the Building for Dream documentation, and something that should be in the HTC provided script)
- Copy Maps.apk from a Android Dev Phone 1 into mydroid/out/target/product/dream/system/app
- Copy com.google.android.maps.jar from a from a Android Dev Phone 1 into mydroid/out/target/product/dream/system/framework
- Delete mydroid\out\target\product\dream\obj\PACKAGING\sys temimage_unopt_intermediates\system.img
- Delete mydroid\out\target\product\dream\system.img