ervius ROM_Deprotector.....

Search This thread

ervius

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 15, 2006
Hi all, I post this little apps that maybe can help you if you want dump a protected rom (not all, obviously.....) but in some cases it can help.....
how it works:
put a .payload or a .nb file in the same folder of the app, open a command prompt and write:
rom_deprotector os.nb
or
rom_deprotector os.nb.payload

where os.nb / os.nb.payload is the name of your target file.....

wait and finger cross that the target file was protected in a way known by my apps, if my apps "deprotect" the target file, you can dump it then ;)
good lock.....

version 2 a bug on output string solved!

Attachments

• ROM_Deprotector_v2.zip
    6.1 KB · Views: 1,423
Last edited:

chavonbravo

Jul 15, 2006
There are a couple different ways to protect a rom. Which method does this one unprotect? imgfs signature mod? file/module header swap?

ervius

Nov 15, 2006
There are a couple different ways to protect a rom. Which method does this one unprotect? imgfs signature mod? file/module header swap?

there are other ways to protect roms, not only theese 2, bwt... it deprotects the 1st one that you told......
so, maybe an old wise will be able to build another "new???" rom..... ;)

Last edited:
C

conflipper

haha very nice tool, i am yet to test this out, but it looks very nice. I am going to go out an guess that you and UDK are about 4 steps ahead, and have already been using new ways to protect your roms.

very nice work though once again. you never stop amzing everyone with the work you do.

ervius

Nov 15, 2006
haha very nice tool, i am yet to test this out, but it looks very nice. I am going to go out an guess that you and UDK are about 4 steps ahead, and have already been using new ways to protect your roms.

very nice work though once again. you never stop amzing everyone with the work you do.

what about???
did it work well???

johnpatcher

Jan 5, 2008
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it doesn't seem to work for me.

I have extracted the nb file out of a nbh file (using NBHextract). Now I try to execute "ROM_Deprotector.exe os.nb" (whereas "os.nb" is the name of my nb file).

But nothing is happening, the command is executed (that means I can type in a new command), but the file stays untouched, and the computer isn't working at all.

What am I doing wrong?

NOBELOVE

Nov 11, 2004
@ervius
Amazing achievement,,,

How can I tell the type of protection added on the rom? Is there a way to find out which rom is capable to be deprotected by your method?

And if you don't mind, I think your tool can be useful as relatively handy to my thread here ;)

NOBELOVE

Nov 11, 2004
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it doesn't seem to work for me.

I have extracted the nb file out of a nbh file (using NBHextract). Now I try to execute "ROM_Deprotector.exe os.nb" (whereas "os.nb" is the name of my nb file).

But nothing is happening, the command is executed (that means I can type in a new command), but the file stays untouched, and the computer isn't working at all.

What am I doing wrong?

I tested couple of roms and same results keep happening to me.:confused:

@ervius,,, would you mind share the details of handling one sample rom as a tutorial to understand this method better?

if my apps "deprotect" the target file, you can dump it then

How can i tell if the file got deprotected successfully, and can you explain how you dump it after all?

Last edited:

ervius

Nov 15, 2006
I tested couple of roms and same results keep happening to me.:confused:

@ervius,,, would you mind share the details of handling one sample rom as a tutorial to understand this method better?

How can i tell if the file got deprotected successfully, and can you explain how you dump it after all?

try version 2 attacked to the 1st post!!!!!

to see if it works, try to dump, for example a DIB rom (os.nb), then use deprotector and try to redump it..... to see if rom_deprotector works...
bye!

Last edited:

Ameet

Retired Moderator
Dec 15, 2007
Mumbai
try version 2 attacked to the 1st post!!!!!

to see if it works, try to dump, for example a DIB rom (os.nb), then use deprotector and try to redump it..... to see if rom_deprotector works...
bye!
This rom deprotector doesnt work on my ROMs :( My ROMs are cooked in your visual kitchen :) Any ideas ervius?

C

conflipper

If i rememember right Bepe new kitchen, what ervius is based off, it takes the apps.reg and inserts that into the hives, and so you can not decompile it.

also i think this tool just reconstructs the imgfs start address if a chef decided to mess up the imfgs address.

ervius

Nov 15, 2006
If i rememember right Bepe new kitchen, what ervius is based off, it takes the apps.reg and inserts that into the hives, and so you can not decompile it.

also i think this tool just reconstructs the imgfs start address if a chef decided to mess up the imfgs address.

yes, you are right! ;)
bepe kitchen produces a dumpable rom, but unusuable to rebuild new roms!
bye!

Ameet

Retired Moderator
Dec 15, 2007
Mumbai
yes, you are right! ;)
bepe kitchen produces a dumpable rom, but unusuable to rebuild new roms!
bye!
Oh ok. Now I get it. So the tool only reverses the protection which is done on the ROM IMGFS header to make it really undumpable. Right? You right about Bepe's kitchen producing dumpable ROMs but due to lack of dumped DSMs & RGUs the ROM is not re-packagable :) Cool.. Now I get the drift

Mind sharing how to protect the ROM so can be documented in the tutorials? :D

kkwy

May 25, 2008
Used your deprotect tool, it said deprotection done successfully.
But after dumping bepe's rom, all file names, sizes are correct.
Some files, e.g. .lnk files are correct too.
But all .dll and .sys files are all zero padded, and unusable.

joshkoss

Retired Senior Moderator
Oct 31, 2007
CT, USA
if

we provide you with updated ways roms get protected are you up for updateing this sweet little tool?

yasirriaz1977

Sep 26, 2008
Karachi
Dear Ervius
amd NOOB
will this tool will work with ur kitchen build roms. casue when I try to dump ur kitchen's build rom (which is CRACING's wm 6.5 23034 rom) through visual kitchen's build 1.8.1 .. its just build ur kitchen's structure but did nothing with sys, oem and ext folder.. its just resume language as 0000 and dpi as 00
please help me.. I tried ever rom in it. but didnt get result yet :eek: