FORUMS

How To Theme Develop for Windows For Dummies in 10 easy steps

110 posts
Thanks Meter: 4

By Dave Da illest 1, Senior Member on 8th January 2009, 03:28 PM
Thread Closed Email Thread
How To Theme Develop for Windows For Dummies in 10 easy steps (( no your really not a dummy its just an easy name for a how to lol))

well i'm going to give this a shot in the dark on how to create this how to be as easy as possible

1st

download these files if you don't already have them

JAVA
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

download the JDK

Winrar

http://rarlabs.com/rar/wrar380.exe

and Auto-sign.zip

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?uwzjjydnm2r

2nd
Download my included Auto-sign files.
what it contains.
the Test keys file..
and an update.zip file
and a batch file i created called auto-sign to make things easier to sign

3rd
after you have downloaded my Auto-sign
then you extract it to where ever you want.

4th.
use the update.zip included if your a Beginner it includes my windows 7 theme .. i edit so many files that it's easier to tell what does what and whats goiing to go where. now open that zip file DON'T EXTRACT just open it using winrar..

5th

When it is open go to Framework.. and open Framework-res.apk
NOW IF THE APK. POPS UP AND SAYS IT CANT OPEN BLAH BLAH SELECT A PROGRAM AND THEN SELECT WINRAR.

6th
Once you open Framework-res.apk KEEP THIS WINDOW AND UPDATE.ZIP WINDOW OPEN!!

then just extract the whole Res Folder to where ever you like this makes it easier to see what files you wish to edit.. most of the files will be in the folder called Drawable

7th

open up your favorite photo editor .. i use photoshop along with 90% of the people who Graphic Design... Edit your pictures Remember a file with a .9 can mess up your phone so edit those carefully.. and save what ever pictures you have

8th

Now drag the whole Res Folder .. back into the Framework-res.apk

now your update.zip file is going to say files has been changed to framework-res blah blah do you wish to save it . click yes .. now your framework has been updated you can close everything out

9th

go to the Auto-sign folder.. and open Auto-sign this will now sign your update.zip .. and rename it to update_sign.zip .. now just delete your old update.zip.. rename update_signed.zip to update.zip

10th

put it on the root of your memory card.. reset using green call + menu + end
then hold home and end .. until the recovery mode shows up .. then press Alt+S and hope your device isn't bricked

Disclaimers

I'm not responsible if your brick your device.. but i will help to the best of my abilty and if i can't help i'm sure XDA will

i don't sign every file in my update.zip i just sign update.zip .. and hey it works lol..

For ADP or RC 8 versions .. just download your favortie ADP theme or RC 8

put it in the Auto-sign folder.. and rename it to update.zip if it isn't already then just follow my steps

Screenshots will be added later.. you have to understand i did this right when i woke up i didnt' even eat breakfast yet lol.. so if something is flawed.. just write me and i'll change my post..
8th January 2009, 03:28 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag New York City

More
reserved for later use
8th January 2009, 03:39 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
thank you a didnt want to download linx...i will try when i get home tonight.thanks in advance
8th January 2009, 03:51 PM |#4  
Flag VA BEACH
Thanks Meter: 9

More
you are the man!!!! thanks, really appreciate this. got some ideas. i'll run them by you when i can get some time to start on my theme.
8th January 2009, 04:09 PM |#5  
Flag Tampa
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Da illest 1

How To Theme Develop for Windows For Dummies in 10 easy steps (( no your really not a dummy its just an easy name for a how to lol))

1st

download these files if you don't already have them

JAVA
http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/downlo...BundleId=26223

Winrar

http://rarlabs.com/rar/wrar380.exe

and Auto-sign.zip

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?uwzjjydnm2r

2nd
Download my included Auto-sign files.
what it contains.
the Test keys file..
and an update.zip file
and a batch file i created called auto-sign to make things easier to sign

3rd
after you have downloaded my Auto-sign
then you extract it to where ever you want.

Is the "Auto-sign files" you mention in step 2 the same as the link you provided for the "and Auto-sign.zip"?

Just want to make sure Im not missing anything.

Thanks for putting this together!
8th January 2009, 04:11 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag New York City

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier6303

Is the "Auto-sign files" you mention in step 2 the same as the link you provided for the "and Auto-sign.zip"?

Just want to make sure Im not missing anything.

Thanks for putting this together!

yes it is iima have to edit that lata right now i gotta get ready to return my laptop
8th January 2009, 04:20 PM |#7  
Flag Tampa
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Da illest 1

yes it is iima have to edit that lata right now i gotta get ready to return my laptop

Ok cool. Thanks for the prompt response!
8th January 2009, 05:10 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
hey i was looking through and i noticed you did have the .9 files edited, what do you mean they can mess up your phone? Also how did you edit it so that the tab is the way that it is across the screen? Thanks.
8th January 2009, 05:51 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag New York City

More
Ill explain more about .9 in my reserved post and more about app designing when I get home..the file ur looking for is in launcher.apk .. under drawable-port and land
8th January 2009, 06:28 PM |#10  
Retired Senior Mod / Retired Senior RecDev - Godfather of Android Theming
Thanks Meter: 420

More
Do not edit or open .9.png's They will distort when android tries to resize them, editing them can also make apps force close upon boot. You will make more trouble for yourself by editing these files! Leavem alone! Just opening the files to look at them can make them distort... I fought with these images for weeks and caused serious problems in my theme...

Stericson
8th January 2009, 06:38 PM |#11  
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 82

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stericson

Do not edit or open .9.png's They will distort when android tried to resize them, editing them can also make apps force close upon boot. You will make more trouble for yourself by editing these files! Leavem alone!

Stericson

Its true! Listen to him! Dont touch the .9.png files!
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
development, theme, windows
Previous Thread Next Thread