FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: In light of the changes/improvements list, what do you have to say?

I agree with all points on the list.

22 Vote(s)
33.33%
I agree with most points on the list.

27 Vote(s)
40.91%
I agree with some points on the list.

13 Vote(s)
19.70%
I agree with no points on the list.

4 Vote(s)
6.06%

Your Voice - Xperia after ROM Upate

554 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By msalmank, Senior Member on 3rd February 2009, 10:32 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Here are some things that have been noticed so far with the R2 release of Xperia ROMs. Go through the list and cast your vote above.

(If you chose from the last two selections, then please post your ROM version - i.e. Swedish ROM, Vodafone UK, Generic UK, and so on... and also point out what points you disagree with)
  • The device now boots faster.
  • Faster menus - switching tabs in settings is quicker.
  • Programs launch quicker and file explorer is quick in loading folders.
  • Bluetooth Problem reported to be fixed. (I didn’t face any bluetooth problems with the old software and am not facing any now.)
  • Wi-Fi bug fixed.
  • Panel animation is a bit smoother but still laggy on switching from portrait to landscape and vice versa. Overall a faster panels experience.
  • Video playback has improved a lot! CP benchmark on a video resulted in 90-92% on the old ROM and is now increased to 98%.
  • Word prediction in most text-boxes.
  • Media Panel improvements including; music indexing is a lot faster, image scrolling is almost as smooth as it should be, changing tracks show information about the track at the bottom of the screen, and most importantly it now only shows pictures from the My Pictures and Camera folders on the main and internal storage – say goodbye to all those images from program files and windows showing up.
  • Camera improvements include faster focus lock and more stable focus. Preview is also smoother and introduces a new setting letting you define the frame rate to use for the video to shoot.
  • Furthermore, I think they updated the 3D drivers too. TouchFlo 3D is running way smooth - especially the Pictures and Media tabs! (flicking through pictures and music is quick and smooth) + Slide2Play is performing much better with this new updated ROM; quicker and smoother movement in landscape, switches album/song images correctly on song change, and games are also functioning way smoother than before.

Best Regards.
Salman Khalid.

3rd February 2009, 11:12 PM |#2  
Flag London (nearly)
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I have the generic UK R2A ROM, and since flashing its definitely much better, the only points I cant be sure of are the games (dont have those extra) and the tf3d working better as I dont use that... but all the other points spot on and its humming now... fan-fricking-tastic...
3rd February 2009, 11:14 PM |#3  
Flag Worcestershire
Thanks Meter: 8

More
I do agree with the points but still not a huge difference.

Pannel lag is the worst. This is the central point of the X1 and its crap still laggy as hell ok they boot slightly quicker but going from landscape to portraight is bad.

As for bluetooth fix so far its stayed on but im not completely satisfied until i get my tomtom back from repair and try it.

booting is about the same for me.

videos i need to test.

as for the extra games all they have doneis put the games from Java into the program menu. this is **** as the games are al trial versions and that blockbreaker is only a 90 second demo! WHY ffs dont waste your time and effort putting it on the X1 its a **** game im not going to buy it!

Also a main point is i have not soft reset my X1 yet! this is great finally can i go a day witout doing a soft reset?

Im still not entirely satisfied and even though i really like the X1 and will not give it up i still think it could be so much better. What are SE playingat

To summerise im happy with the update but still want more, more and more.
3rd February 2009, 11:54 PM |#4  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Currently Reverse Engineering 42
Thanks Meter: 1,721

More
There's some issues with playback of recorded video, but other than that vid playback is better.

Overall I find the x1 much faster, especially on screen redraws and other 2D malarky, there appears to be a new DDI in this one that uses the hardware better I think.
4th February 2009, 01:00 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Islamabad

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasand

Pannel lag is the worst. This is the central point of the X1 and its crap still laggy as hell ok they boot slightly quicker but going from landscape to portraight is bad.

as for the extra games all they have doneis put the games from Java into the program menu. this is **** as the games are al trial versions and that blockbreaker is only a 90 second demo! WHY ffs dont waste your time and effort putting it on the X1 its a **** game im not going to buy it!

Also a main point is i have not soft reset my X1 yet! this is great finally can i go a day witout doing a soft reset?

I guess the game point doesn't really need to exist on that list - since its not an enhancement really. FYI - added only with the Vodafone UK ROM.

As for Panels... given that they are the main thing on Xperia, there should have been more improvements with them. Maybe a panel or two!
4th February 2009, 02:33 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I flashed to x1a GENERIC NORTH AMERICA R2AA008 (1.03.948.8) couple days ago. (I have x1a purchased from sonystyle.com nov 08)

Camera - still testing. no option to turn off shutter sound.

Video - has not test yet.
access sd card - seems to be faster.

Headset works now in vibrate mode.

radio rom - 1.10.25.18. Seems to switch to GPRS more often than 1.06.25.29 (Probably will test other radios)
4th February 2009, 03:17 AM |#7  
U.S. of A.
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Exclamation
Overall is SLOWER;
Cannot make it: DON'T capitalize first letter (no matter if checked or not, it is Capitalizing always!)
Still no zoom at 3MP (I know its only digital, but comeon!)
Picture Quality / AutoFocus worse, for sure NOT better!
Still lags sometimes, while opening programs or clicking on anything!
Cannot choose to see ALL pictures in media panel anymore!
and so on.... !

I have Generic UK R2AA008 with the customized software ID from the download here! I have before, originally a different Generic_UK Customized version and had NO such problems besides the Bluetooth sometimes(!) turning off.
4th February 2009, 03:53 AM |#8  
Flag America
Thanks Meter: 517

More
IMHO both NAM R2A and UK R2A have been improved
Still not perfect, but better overall xperiance over R1A

So I leave a positive feedback: Item as described. Would buy again. A++++
4th February 2009, 04:17 AM |#9  

More
newly updated Generic_UK ROM

*First thing I've notice: Message Sent notification Fixed.
*Everything seem to boost up as far as performance is concern.

Satisfied and very Impressive as of now...
4th February 2009, 04:49 AM |#10  
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthemage

Overall is SLOWER;
Cannot make it: DON'T capitalize first letter (no matter if checked or not, it is Capitalizing always!)
and so on.... !

I have Generic UK R2AA008 with the customized software ID from the download here! I have before, originally a different Generic_UK Customized version and had NO such problems besides the Bluetooth sometimes(!) turning off.

Are you sure you flashed with the correct version ?

I strongly agree with the list of improvements.

And zoom at maximal resolution (for us 3 MP) is not a bug, it's just the way Sony Ericsson wrote his software on any of their mobile phones, which is exactly the same for any Sony PowerShot camera. You cannot zoom digital at maximal resolution.
4th February 2009, 07:57 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Islamabad

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthemage

Overall is SLOWER;
and so on.... !

No capitalizing issues at my end. Check your Camera settings - quality must be low or something. Zoom is simply not an option offered in the camera firmware, really not a bug! Overall speed improvements, but will still show a little lag at times - it is windows mobile 6.5 after all! And who wants to see all pictures in media panel? Media Panel kept bringing in pictures from progam files and so on, so turning that off was good, but i agree there should be an option to toggle that option.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)