" CACHE NOT FOUND " and Other Errors.
...and How to Install the Latest Version of GCzII
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
The latest version of GCzII is 0.2.35.58
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
* * * * * This is an interim release - you will have to update as noted below. AppToDate will not update interim releases! * * * * *
How to get the latest version of GCzII:
* * * * * This update only partially fixes the errors induced by the recent Groundspeak updates. * * * * *
1. You will find the GCz's version number displayed in the lower left corner of the main screen.
2. GCzII is installed from the posted version on the Nicque.com site (HERE
). You can install it either on your device memory or an SD card.
If you have a touchscreen phone, install the .cab file without the "STD" in the file name. This is the only file you'll need to install.
If you have a non-touchscreen phone, after you install the .cab file described above, copy the GCzII.exe file in the " . . . . . _STD.zip" file into your \Program Files\GCzII folder, overwriting the one placed there by the cab file installation.
To install an an interim version:
After you install the version posted on the Nicque site, download the update (download the zip HERE
). Unzip the appropriate update (i.e. only use the "std' update if you have a non-touchscreen phone) and copy GCzII.exe over the existing one.
3. If you encounter errors while running the program after upgrading from a previous version, you may need to empty the contents of the Cache_DB folder (It is located in \Program Files\GCzII, but you might have put it on your storage card.). If you are upgrading or reinstalling because you have encountered errors, try running the newly installed version first without emptying \Cache_DB, as the new installation may have solved the problem. See the "NOTE" below for additional cautions regarding emptying \Cache_DB.
" Cache not found " and Other Errors
Several conditions may generate errors:
1. You are not running the latest version. Upgrade as noted above.
2. Your language setting on the geocaching.com website is not set to ENGLISH. Check your setting by going to your account page and clicking on the "Your Account Details" link. The language setting is at the bottom in the "Your Preferences" box.
3. Cached caches stored in the GCzII cache folder (\Cache_DB) may be causing issues. Try deleting the files in this folder.
NOTE: Deleting the files in \Cache_DB will also delete waypoints and notes
. Waypoints (.wpt) and notes (.pwi) are saved in each cache folder (the folder name is the GC code.) If you do not want to lose this information, back these files up. THIS POST
describes how one user selectively deletes files in \Cache_DB.
4. If you have a GCzII skin installed, try uninstalling it. If that corrects the problem, check if there is an updated skin and install that one.
Distance Measurements in Lists
This update restores some functionality for distance measurements in lists. To show distance measurements in a list, you'll need to use the "Download All Caches", "Reload from Cache Detail" or "Menu, Sort By" functions in the list view. You may wish to change the number of caches you display in a list to make the list regeneration go faster. (From the main screen, Menu, Option, Download Settings.)
This has been implemented for:
- Postal Code/Address
- Cache Code
- Current Location
Log Posting Failures
There is some speculation that having more than five trackables in your inventory may cause log submission errors. If you have more than five trackables in your inventory, move some out of inventory to your collection and try to post again.
Still Need Help???
If you are still running into problems, or need help with the features and functions of GCzII, check out the DEDICATED FORUM
. It can be tricky to find the answers in this huge thread, so the forum has been set up to make finding help easier. Please use it!
There are a number of people here willing to help you. But to be honest, we seem to answer the same questions over and over again. We'll be glad to help you, but you need to do your part first. Here's what we suggest:
1. Read the last 5 pages of posts and try the things that have been suggested. Most of the time, the solution has been posted recently. If you don't want to take the time to read the last few pages, why should we take the time to restate, again, what we just posted not too long ago?
2. Post the version of GCz that you are using. Believe it or not, there is a chance that you may not have the current version installed.
3. State whether or not you have deleted the contents of \Cache_DB.
4. Confirm that on Geocaching.com, your language is set to "English".
Finally, make sure you have read and followed the instructions contained in this post. Twice.
If you've worked your way through the above and are still having an issue, post here using the guidelines above, and we'll be glad to help. Or, go to the dedicated GCzII forum
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Check the developer's page for the next full version release:
Also check the dedicated GCz forum for info and updates: http://gczii.newstarforum.com