FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

X1 SoftTouch (cab now available): improve your screen's responsiveness

393 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By ring-bearer, Senior Member on 21st February 2009, 03:54 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Here's how to improve your screen's touch responsiveness, especially if you primarily use your finger to navigate. I have now uploaded a .cab to make it easier to do the tweak. Method 1 (easiest, thanks, Fards) is the .cab method. Method 2 (thanks, Glithramir) is for those who know how to edit their Windows Mobile registry. Method 3 is an alternative method.

Method 1:

1. Download and install X1 SoftTouch at the end of this post (there are no settings or anything... just installing the file creates the tweak)

2. SOFT RESET YOUR DEVICE

3. Enjoy!

Method 2:

1. Use a registry editor such as SKTools

2. Navigate to or search for:
HKLM/Drivers/TouchPanel/PressureThreshold
and
HKLM/Software/OEM/TFLOSettings/FingerPressure
(eg search on "pressure" and you'll find both)

3. Edit the values to any VERY VERY high value such as 999999999 (nine 9s)
*** CAUTION: do NOT change either of these fields to anything less than about 2000 because if you go low enough you will make your touchscreen unresponsive, at which point it's tricky to change it back (learned the hard way)

4. Soft reset

Method 3:
1. Make sure you have Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 3.5 installed on your pc/Xperia (thanks tri3dent, gundamboy, MidiAmp); if not, do this:
1a. Install Activesync on your pc.
1b. Connect the device with the pc and sync it.
1c. Download Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 3.5 to your PC (not directly to your Xperia) from http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/d...displaylang=en.
1d. Install the .net CF 3.5 from your pc
1e. Follow the onscreen prompts.
1f. Look at the phone's screen, you will be asked to approve an installation, select yes.
1g. You're done...

2. Download and install Shap's advanced config tool 3.3 (props to Shap):
http://www.touchxperience.com/en/adv...downloads.html

3. Scroll down to "HTC TouchFLO" (close to the bottom) and expand it

4. Click on "Pressure threshold," then below you will see a drop down menu.
4a. Click on "Custom" until a field appears allowing you to enter a number.
4b. Change "Pressure threshold" to: 999999999 (yes, that's nine 9s)
4c. Make sure you hit enter if you are using a keyboard so that the value gets entered into the field

5. Change "Finger Pressure" to 999999999 (same number) using the same process

*** CAUTION: do NOT change either of these fields to anything less than about 2000, or less than "Very high" in the drop down menu, because if you go low enough you will make your touchscreen unresponsive, at which point it's tricky to change it back (learned the hard way)

6. Click "Done" below in the bar then click "Ok" to reset your device

Notes:
If you used the recommended "firm" taps when calibrating your screen, the X1 the SoftTouch tweak should lead to:
- substantial improved responsiveness with finger use
- moderate improved responsiveness with stylus use

If you used very light touches when calibrating your screen, the X1 SoftTouch tweak should lead to:
- moderate to minimal improved responsiveness with finger use
- minimal to no improved responsiveness with stylus use

- The tweak works for everything, not just if you have TouchFLO installed

- If you uninstall X1 SoftTouch, your original screen sensitivity settings should return

- I didn't notice much difference in touch responsiveness with registry values over about 1,000,000, but it doesn't seem to hurt to put in extremely high values, which is why I used 999,999,999
Attached Files
File Type: cab X1 SoftTouch 01 cab.cab - [Click for QR Code] (818 Bytes, 5642 views)

21st February 2009, 05:57 AM |#2  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 44

Donate to Me
More
Heya, just enabled this on my X1i and it works like a charm!
No more pressing against the screen so that the touches will work, ahh it's wonderful. Thanks a lot for posting this!
21st February 2009, 06:10 AM |#3  
Flag Jakarta
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I think I need to read the direction carefully next time I changed the setting to "Very High" and voila! Stuckville... Luckily the X1 has keyboards and the awesome pad (I named the directional/optical pad that).

If somebody got stuck accidentally (not like me), just use the d-pad to navigate and press tab on the keyboard to move between dialog boxes.

The config tools been available for a while, but super thanks for the nine 9's trick. Although I seldom use the screen, but it's an improvement I think. As I mushed the screen not touch it, so I don't quite feel the sensitivities changed.
21st February 2009, 06:19 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Sorry for a stupid question, how do I install the Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 3.5?
It's in a .msi file and xperia doesn't recognize the extension.
21st February 2009, 06:35 AM |#5  
Flag Vancouver

Donate to Me
More
Install it on the pc while your Xperia is connected, it'll prompt for install within xperia sometime during the installation.
The Following User Says Thank You to gundamboy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gundamboy Ad-Free
21st February 2009, 07:02 AM |#6  
Flag Jakarta

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamboy

Install it on the pc while your Xperia is connected, it'll prompt for install within xperia sometime during the installation.

Yup, that's pretty much it...

But for more detailed explanation:

1. Install Activesync on your pc.
2. Connect the device with the pc and sync it.
3. Install the .net CF 3.5 from your pc.
4. Follow the onscreen prompts.
5. Look at the phone's screen, you will be asked to approve an installation, select yes.
6. You're done...

Afterward, install the advanced config cab.
21st February 2009, 07:11 AM |#7  
Flag Vancouver

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midi_Amp

1. Install Activesync on your pc.
2. Connect the device with the pc and sync it.
3. Install the .net CF 3.5 from your pc.
4. Follow the onscreen prompts.
5. Look at the phone's screen, you will be asked to approve an installation, select yes.
6. You're done...

Afterward, install the advanced config cab.

Nicely done, hope lots of people try this out because it's quite an improvement from the old finger pressing that I did.
21st February 2009, 07:20 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
if you mess up and turn it down too far, just use my mobiler to fix it if you're having trouble.
21st February 2009, 07:39 AM |#9  
Flag Malaysia

More
I must say this method really good! every touch is so great and accurate! everyone should do this tweak to improve your Xperiance^_^
21st February 2009, 10:00 AM |#10  
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 30

More
This indeed is amazing, i was a bit doubtful when i read the post at first but i tried it and i no longer have to push hard for the X button on the corner of the screen! yay
21st February 2009, 10:13 AM |#11  
Flag Kristiansand
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Yeah it works really good

Thanks
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)