FORUMS

Android on Charmer?

32 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

Thread Deleted Email Thread
Hi people, is anyone working on a port of Android for the Charmer?

Thanks
26th February 2009, 05:10 PM |#2  
Flag Trier
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Android as directboot won't work. And booting out of WM won't work because it'll be too slow.

So sorry but I think it won't work.

But maybe Vlodeck will correct me.
27th February 2009, 10:47 PM |#3  
Retired Moderator
Flag classified
Thanks Meter: 2

More
As you said, the only way to run it is through WM and it doesn't necessarily have to be slow but unfortunately it will. I'm not a huge fan of porting other operating systems - it will never work properly.
28th February 2009, 08:34 AM |#4  
Flag Trier

More
I just said it is slow because WM6 or6.1 itself are slow. So also with WM5 there won't be much power left for booting an other OS. We would need at least 300MHZ or more for that. And overclocking so much would be very stupid.
2nd March 2009, 10:50 AM |#5  
OP Member
Flag London

More
Thanks for the info.
1st June 2009, 05:57 PM |#6  
Flag Győr
Thanks Meter: 786

More
Thats overclocking is for.I wish i could cook, i like Android interface
2nd June 2009, 02:48 PM |#7  
Flag Trier

More
I think we haven't been clear enoght last time. I'll summ up everything about Android on Charmer:

1) Charmer is too slow. You can't overclock it over 300MHZ and We would need at least 400MHZ to run it good.
2) You can't cook Android. It is Linux and you have to cross compile it. I'm good in Linux questions and I can compile and build a Linux from scratch but cross compiling is too hard for me too. And you'll have to change all scripts too.
3) There are no drivers for the Charmer. You'll need to write them. You can't use the Windows Mobile drivers.
4) Android doesn't support many apps if it is ported. You would have to recompile all apps. And for that you first need the code. And the code isn't aviable for the most apps.

So the answer is. YES! ANDROID WOULD WORK ON CHARMER!!!!
But we don't have the time and mans here to get it working. It would take me alone 50h to get it booting. And 150h more to analyse and rewrite the drivers. To compare: I can port a new XIP and clean up the SYS in 1h. After all tests and fixes 5h are over.

SO IT IS POSSIBLE BUT IT WOULD BE SLOW AND IT WASTES TOO MUCH TIME UNTIL IT WORKS.

So learn more about it and find 5 guys helping you. I'll help then too.
22nd September 2009, 02:21 PM |#8  

More
Hi Charmer users!

As an ex-charmer user, I feel like I have to tell you.
At the Universal forums, we're working a port for the Universal, that has a CPU clocked at 524 MHz at factory settings, and we tend to use it at 620 MHz OC'd, but even then it is painfully slow. Please sorry for the bad humor, but what do you think, how'd it run on a processor that is more than three times slower? I don't think you'd have too good results. Though it IS possible, to boot Android on it - as ChrBeck said - it simply doesn't worth the effort to make it work. There was a Linux port in work for the charmer when I had mine, but I guess it's dead by now. I don't want to disappoint anybody(that was done by ChrBeck anyways... just joking), but this won't work any time soon. I hope you guys and gals have a good day.
22nd September 2009, 05:34 PM |#9  
Flag Trier

More
Have to say something again. We have Android working on the Kaiser too. It has a 400MHZ CPU and Android runs very good. Sometimes it hangs for some seconds but normaly it runs very quick. But anyway it won't work good on Charmer. And there are bugs in ported Android. (On Kaiser the pin field is bad for example).

So much to say about that.
12th December 2009, 12:52 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Guys, apparently Linux is running on Vogue (Touch). See http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=382265.
As far as I know, it is based on OMAP850 too, same 200Mhz clock. Probably there are some differences in hardware so drivers need to be changed but I don't think it's hopeless...
12th December 2009, 10:30 AM |#11  
Flag Trier

More
Then start porting. Install ubuntu and crosscompile it. Start writing drivers from scratch for display and Board. And get a Haret working on Charmer. Then you'll have Android. Have fun it are 50 or more houres for such an old device. It is senseless.

But you can start I'll support you with infos as good as i can.
Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread