FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

I Have Solved The Reason Some Have Latitude In RC9 While Others Don't

20 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By PeepoTurton, Junior Member on 5th March 2009, 10:47 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
****UBER IMPORTANT NOTE****

It would appear that the fix I found described below seems to stop working after a day or so I haven't found any sensable way to way to get it back yet

I have left the rest of the post how it was incase you still want to try it or if anyone wants to work on it as for me I'm giving up on it for now and going back to APD1.1 (where latitude works anyway)

Sorry guys I really thought I'd cracked it sob

I have manged to to get it to keep the UK and German local settings so no xxx-xxx-xxxx format on numbers and things but the phone would show as a ADP1.1 Dev phone but if there are any people who are only on RC9 for the local and language settings who would like to keep them and have latitude and voice search I have that one sused just PM me if you want it. If enough people are intrested I'll do a write up on here but for now I want beer

<----Original Post---->

***NEW LINK IN (Thanks to LucidREM)***

Hi not sure if anyone else has worked this out I have read through as many posts as I could and haven't seen it anywhere else.

I can assure you that Latitude is in the RC9 update (I was one of the people who it didn't show up for), when I was reading throught the millions of posts on the matter I noticed that all the people who claimed it was there are all on networks outside the UK. I assume that if you have a MCC that is in the UK (or something simular) it is set somewhere simply not to show up. I guess T-Mobile UK think us Brits can't be trusted with letting our friends know where we are.

Anyway after giving you this sad news I have some good news. I know how to get it back (YEY) but more bad news its quite sloppy and it does involve a full wipe.

I basicly did a small bit of tinkering with the JF RC9 (hope he doesn't mind) I will add my version to this post if you want to do it quicky but also explain what I did if you want to try it yourself.

First with the origanal JF RC9 I opened the zip and added the lines below to the ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES section of the /system/build.prop file...

ro.setupwizard.mode=OPTIONAL
keyguard.no_require_sim=true

These options allow you to use the phone for the first time without a sim card and allow you skip the sign up to your google account screen (as obviously you won't be able to sign up without a simcard) These two options are standard in ADP and I just did a lazy man copy and paste.

Once you have done this you will need to replace the original in the zip with your nice new file. You will then have to resign your zip file there is a good guide how to do this on http://modmygphone.com/forums/archiv...p/t-10591.html (again the amazing JF was involved in this tool)

Once you have done all that stick it on your SD card, call it update.zip, <--*take out your simcard*--> and wipe/update/reboot in the normal way.

When they No Sim Card Screen pops up press menu and it will take you to the sign into your google account screen. When you get to the bit where you can create a new account or sign in with your current account scroll down and there will be a nice skip button press that.

Next go into setting and connect to a wifi network once you are connected run any google app that connects to your account (gmail, IM, etc) this time put in your sign in details and wait for your address book and stuff to resync.

Next run maps and the Latitude info screen thing will pop up, press ok and then press the Join Latitude button. Once its all registered turn your phone off stick your sim back in and turn it back on and YEY Latitide will still be there. Install all your apps and set up your phone back up and happy days.

If you are not brave enough to make the changes to the JF RC9 update (or you just can't be arsed) I have attached the one I made below. Note I have removed the Amazon MP3 thing from this image as it only works if you live in the US and Shazam defaults to it and not Amazon UK if it's installed and that makes me a sad panda. As for voice search that isn't in RC9 at all, I will have a mess to see if I can port it from ADP or RC33 at some point.

Obviously I would like to thank JF for doing all the hard work in the first place hope he doesn't mind me fiddling with his stuff.

Hope you all find this post useful and let me know how you get on

***NEW LINK***

http://www.kyubinc.org/files/JFv1.43_RC9_LatFix.zip (Thanks LucidREM and to the others who offered to host)

***KEEP YOUR CURRENT USERDATA AND STILL HAVE LATITUDE*** (Thanks to TonyHoyle)

Perform prodecure as above to enable latitude.
Flash data.img from backup. Reboot. Do not replace SIM. Do not enter maps yet.

Using adb, Add the following to /data/data/com.google.android.apps.maps/shared_prefs/com.google.android.maps.MapsActivity.xml

<boolean name="FF_SHOWN" value="true" />
<boolean name="SHOW_MY_FRIENDS" value="true" />

(the second line will already be there - just modify it to 'true')

Now enter maps. Hit 'menu' and the Join Lattitute button will be there. Join, and it'll stay when you replace the SIM.

5th March 2009, 10:58 AM |#2  

More
Like, WOW. I mean, erm, yeah, I was just about to do that, you beat me to it.

Nice work!
Kudos!

Havent tried it yet though
5th March 2009, 11:01 AM |#3  

More
Hang on, you waited 3.5 years to make your first post?
5th March 2009, 11:10 AM |#4  
OP Junior Member

More
Lol yeah I had a XDA something on O2 years ago but never had anything intresting to say about it Hadn't really been back since as after that broke I decided I would't get sucked into new mobiles and went back to a Nokia 3310. Then the G1 got me so tempted I joined the dark side again and now I'm toally hooked.
5th March 2009, 11:26 AM |#5  

More
Nicely proven that it is a UK issue.

I wonder if it will be enabled across the board at some point. The only reason I can think of that TM would disable it is bandwidth usage. How much traffic does Latitude generate?
5th March 2009, 11:37 AM |#6  
OP Junior Member

More
Can't see it been very much just a tiny bit of text sent to google every so often. No idea why T-Mobile wouldn't want us to have it they might think its a privacy issue us Brits tend to make a fuss over things like that. I could see the daily mail now 'New Google Phone Allows Government Track Every Step You Take'
5th March 2009, 11:42 AM |#7  

More
Very true...
5th March 2009, 11:43 AM |#8  
Flag Widnes

More
You mean something like this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...y-mobiles.html
5th March 2009, 11:49 AM |#9  

More
That's a point, its available for other mobile handsets?

Obviously TMUK being £$%$s again!

They even block internal access to google.com / latitude!
5th March 2009, 11:50 AM |#10  
OP Junior Member

More
Talking
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabouth

You mean something like this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...y-mobiles.html

LOL WOW well that just proves the point
5th March 2009, 11:56 AM |#11  

More
And the greatest thing is, we'll never know why its not included. TMUK will blame google, and google will blame TMUK. So easy for them to do.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)