FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TUTORIAL] How to get HIGH QUALITY wallpaper on your Touch HD!

774 posts
Thanks Meter: 11

By Rozenthal, Retired Recognized Developer on 2nd April 2009, 06:41 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Rozenthal's guide on how to get high-quality wallpaper image on your Touch HD.

There have been many topics dealing with this issue, and I figured it was time someone made a guide with correct and precise instructions.

To complete this guide you will need to have at least moderate knowledge of Photoshop or similar advanced graphic software. You will also need your PC and some additional software.

However, I can confirm that the results are "as advertised" - full quality wallpaper image, without any visible image degradation.

Please note that I take no responsibility if you mess up something. I suggest you make backup folder with Manila files that need to be edited, so you can always go back to default if something isn't working. Also note that this guide deals with Manila2 (the new Manila from latest Topaz / Rhodium ROM's). The old Manila1 may be using different file names.

If all this seems too complicated, a simple way to improve image quality on your Touch HD is to use 512x512 pixel PNG wallpaper! Do not use 480x800! Use 512x512 and you will see it will be sharper and much better looking. Not perfect, but still better!

2nd April 2009, 06:56 PM |#2  
Flag Rehovot
Thanks Meter: 46

More
my head hurts!!! do you have an example to download and try?
maybe you can use this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CH10.JPG
Views:	2272
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	172236  
2nd April 2009, 06:59 PM |#3  
Flag Bad Dürkheim
Thanks Meter: 1

More
and what if u select an 696x480 pixel pic as background? will it still be compressed that much ?
2nd April 2009, 07:04 PM |#4  
OP Retired Recognized Developer

More
You can imagine how much MY head hurt when I was trying to figure out all this... It wasn't easy, seriously

Also, if you use 480x696 the image will still be downsampled to 512 in height, compressed and then stretched to 480x696.

You have to remember that image CAN NOT be larger then 512x512 for TF3D to use it.
2nd April 2009, 07:10 PM |#5  

More
I will not be a gold-fish here, so please don't request me to make your own custom wallpapers. I spend a lot of time trying to figure it all out, and now I'm sharing my knowledge with other people, so they can learn it too - and have it all much easier then myself :P

But, here's an example of my own custom wallpaper.

Manila files are inside ZIP. Backup your old Manila files before copying these ones into Windows folder!

Overwrite old files, restart TF3D and set the wallpaper to display default wallpaper image.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	example1.jpg
Views:	2623
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	172243  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Black earth.zip - [Click for QR Code] (256.2 KB, 1359 views)
2nd April 2009, 07:15 PM |#6  

More
Smile
One more example...

They're both dark and simple, but I prefer them that way They work 100% and they don't cause problems reading the SMS / Email / Today text.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gray_tiles.jpg
Views:	1892
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	172247  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Gray tiles.zip - [Click for QR Code] (238.1 KB, 753 views)
2nd April 2009, 08:12 PM |#7  
Flag Barcelona
Thanks Meter: 72

More
You are in the true, Rozenthal.. best backgrounds are Black. I always use black themes like the example posted. Great, great tutorial! It´s a bit hard for me (and english too) but i´ll try to follow your instructions. Thanks a lot!

Frank
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	alviero_black.jpg
Views:	1535
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	172261  
2nd April 2009, 08:25 PM |#8  

More
I know it's not simple... I warned you

But, it might get a lot simpler soon, because author of CFC GUI (Chainfire) has been working on a solution that would automatically slice wallpaper bitmaps into appropriate Manila files.

That would mean you would not have to know anything about Photoshop, you would not have to create 4 separate PNG files or anything similar. It would all be done by CFC GUI "automagically" - as Chainfire likes to say it

But, until that happens, this is the only way :P
2nd April 2009, 08:45 PM |#9  
Flag N Y C
Thanks Meter: 3

More
great write up

i actually spent a whole day figuring this out myself, then i find this awesomeness

a great contribution to our community

thanks
2nd April 2009, 09:26 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenthal

arrgh, can´t quote ´cause the tut is a big image.. clever

well, nice tut but it is not working for me. i´m on panoshas black pearl 2.2 and replacing the manila files (used yours) just screws up my background.
So i guess my t3d version must be different ("New Manila v 3.1 panosha with landscape ").
2nd April 2009, 09:51 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 126

More
it would be cool if you post for the old manila too ..
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)