Happening now! New Honor Phone Launch
FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How to Root Your New Official Cupcake 1.5 OTA Update or Regain Root lost by update

45 posts
Thanks Meter: 21

By semyazza, Member on 24th May 2009, 05:08 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
OTA update to cupcake make you lose root? Have a fastboot enabled SPL?

These instructions are for those who have a Bootloader with fastboot enabled. (Hard SPL, Engineering SPL, etc.)

Again these instructions are for those who have a bootloader with fastboot enabled.

THIS WILL WORK ON ALL FIRMWARE VERSIONS WITHOUT HAVING TO REFLASH!

As long as you have fastboot enabled in your SPL you can root any of the OTA update without having to reflash your firmware or downgrade.

1) Download JF Recovery V 1.43
2) Extract recovery.img from the data directory
3) Boot phone into bootloader (power off then power+camera buttons)
4) use fastboot to boot into recovery firmware (this will NOT flash just boot)

# fastboot boot recovery.img

5)wait for firmware to boot and hit Alt+x
6)press enter when it tells you
7)type on your phone

# mount system

8)wait for a new prompt #
9)type on your phone

# cd /system/bin
# cat sh > su
# chmod 4755 su
# reboot

10) Your phone is now rooted

24th May 2009, 05:47 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by semyazza

OTA update to cupcake make you lose root? Have a fastboot enabled SPL?

These instructions are for those who have a Bootloader with fastboot enabled. (Hard SPL, Engineering SPL, etc.)

Again these instructions are for those who have a bootloader with fastboot enabled.

THIS WILL WORK ON ALL FIRMWARE VERSIONS WITHOUT HAVING TO REFLASH!

As long as you have fastboot enabled in your SPL you can root any of the OTA update without having to reflash your firmware or downgrade.

1) Download JF Recovery V 1.43
2) Extract recovery.img from the data directory
3) Boot phone into bootloader (power off then power+camera buttons)
4) use fastboot to boot into recovery firmware (this will NOT flash just boot)

# fastboot boot recovery.img

5)wait for firmware to boot and hit Alt+x
6)press enter when it tells you
7)type on your phone

# mount system

8)wait for a new prompt #
9)type on your phone

# cd /system/bin
# cat sh > su
# chmod 4755 su
# reboot

10) Your phone is now rooted

How can this be done through adb ? if you can't load-flash hard-spl or the engineered one ? It states E:No signature
24th May 2009, 06:16 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
Exclamation Please read the directions
You must have the Hard SPL,Engineering SPL or a Fastboot enabled SPL for this to work. Try the file I have linked to at the bottom of this post. It is a production signed SPL and has the proper non-test keys so should be able to flash as stock firmware. This SPL is also fastboot enabled.

http://www.filedropper.com/hboot-09500007d2fc780

If it still gives you a key error my method will not work for you (because the first direction I posted is you MUST have an fastboot enabled SPL).

24th May 2009, 06:31 AM |#4  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by semyazza

You must have the Hard SPL,Engineering SPL or a Fastboot enabled SPL for this to work. Try the file I have linked to at the bottom of this post. It is a production signed SPL and has the proper non-test keys so should be able to flash as stock firmware. This SPL is also fastboot enabled.

If it still gives you a key error my method will not work for you (because the first direction I posted is you MUST have an fastboot enabled SPL).

Thanks for the link. Still can't flash.
24th May 2009, 07:09 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
can anyone confirm this works?
25th May 2009, 06:11 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Worked for me
This procedure worked for me. I took the JF 1.43 recovery image from http://code.google.com/p/android-roms/
25th May 2009, 06:54 PM |#7  

More
Worked perfect running gfh_eu CRB43 all OTA updated
25th May 2009, 07:04 PM |#8  

More
I don't understand the point of this... As long as your running the official ADP image or a JF ROM you shouldn't have lost root in the first place. Since the OTA update doesn't include a new SPL you can still downgrade to RC29 and use the root bug to update to 1.5.

Am I missing something?
25th May 2009, 07:30 PM |#9  

More
I believe the official ADP images do not come by default with root enabled any more. I could be wrong though.
25th May 2009, 09:23 PM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datruesurfer

I don't understand the point of this... As long as your running the official ADP image or a JF ROM you shouldn't have lost root in the first place. Since the OTA update doesn't include a new SPL you can still downgrade to RC29 and use the root bug to update to 1.5.

Am I missing something?

Yes, I followed the instructions to update to Haykuro 6.0.
Flashed radio first,then spl, then firmware.
I now have no root and can only downgrade to rc29 through recovery and flash dream. I cannot flash anything ! Cannot flash the recovery.test keys. Am stuck on the ota cupcake( the only file I can flash).
Any suggestions. I downgraded and rooted several times. Still cannot flash anything.
25th May 2009, 09:52 PM |#11  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datruesurfer

Am I missing something?

Why would you want to have to reflash your phone twice? Your chips CAN wear out from repeated unnecessary flashing. You will also have to install a modified build then (see below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by techvd

I believe the official ADP images do not come by default with root enabled any more. I could be wrong though.

Techvd is correct. The new google production ADP images do not allow you to SU to a root prompt. ADB still works but it is kind of pointless without root access. I prefer the least modified firmware possible as it is much more stable than the custom roms (although that is getting less and less true).
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)