FORUMS

Dust under the touch screen - solution!!!

81 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By pedroo, Member on 31st May 2009, 09:35 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi to all who have dust between the touch screen digitizer and LCD.
I send my device 3 times to the authorised HTC service center because of this problem, they cleaned it (not perfectly) and the dust was back again after few days of use. This was really ennoying for me...
After several disassemblies, cleaning, research where dust comes in, then assembles I found the flaw.

The dust doesn’t come in via sealing foam between the touch screen digitizer and LCD.
There is a bump defect of phone housing around the volume keys. Inside of the plastic housing is a metal frame, where the touch screen digitizer is stacked on - that frame is a little bended and the touch screen doesn’t stick properly on it (around the volume keys only). When you look close on the phone you can see also a little wider gap between the touch screen top glass and silver plastic housing edge. (See picture)

WARNING
The following directions WILL VOID
your warranty - you are performing
this repair at your own risk.

So, now, what you have to do:
For those, who have already dust in, just simply disassembly your device (if you are brave enough, have all tools and precise hands - maybe some experience ) and remove PROPERLY all dirt with brush, compressed air and antistatic cloth, then assemble it back or send the device to the service center to clean it (wont void the warranty). Before sealing your TD2 (keep it in plastic bag away from dust) prepare a sharp wooden toothpick, neutral transparent or black silicone (you can purchase it from any building material shop) and cotton cloth.

Now you have to clean the gap between whole plastic silver housing frame and touch screen top glass with soft brush. Then use sharp wooden toothpick to impress the silicone into the gap (all gaps you can see, just in case) (silicone does not damage phone housing and TSCR surface and it’s easy to clean), then just gently and properly wipe off all the rest of silicone from phone surface. (be careful not to get silicone to the keys or phone receiver slot)

Leave the phone for several hours to get silicone dry.

Then you can use your TD2 in dusty environment and your display stays absolutely clean and dusty free. (TESTED on mine, for me perfect phone now and I am very happy with it...)

For those who have a little dust in and want to stop come more in and those who are planning to buy TD2 (dont wanna play the lottery faulty or not ), do the same procedure (silicone impress only) after unwrapping your device from plastic package.

GOOD LUCK!!! ENJOY YOUR ABSOLUTELY DUSTY FREE DEVICE!!!
Sorry for my English
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gaps.JPG
Views:	9441
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	190453   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3967.JPG
Views:	7684
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	206023   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3961.JPG
Views:	6857
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	206024  
The Following User Says Thank You to pedroo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pedroo Ad-Free
31st May 2009, 10:12 AM |#2  
Flag Portugal - Lisbon
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I don't know about you guys, but I'm not crazy enough to void the warranty of my phone because of a minor thing like that. When mine gets dirty, I send it back and that's it.

If it gets dirty again, I send it back again...

But, it's a good tutorial for the "brave ones" anyway Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

HastaSSSS
31st May 2009, 12:00 PM |#3  

More
I sent mine back over a week ago due to this dust problem (in fact I delivered it in person to HTC repair center in Milton Keynes) hoping for a quick turnaround.

I'm still waiting for it to come back and missing it terribly. I'm back to using my old Nokia E71 which is a great phone but I like my new one and want it back so I may go down the route of the OP just so I don't have to repeat the return each time I get a dust issue.....
15th July 2009, 12:23 AM |#4  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 23

Donate to Me
More
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=519463

i dont want to hijack this thread. if i am then i am sorry

but hopefully you can input your expertise into this thread or help form an opinion for a new thread
15th July 2009, 06:44 AM |#5  

More
I just got a topaz and want to keep dust from getting in but I'm confused about the sillicon. Could you describe more clearly what it is and maybe post a picture so I have some idea what it should look like.
15th July 2009, 08:16 AM |#6  
Flag Botosani

More
from the picture, for the second gap, apply the protective foil that comes with the phone. Should solve a bit the problem. Ber in mind that after apply, the touchscreen will not have the same sensitivity. You'll have to tap a little bit harder ...
15th July 2009, 01:52 PM |#7  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 23

Donate to Me
More
i think you meant screen protector no?
anyway thx for the info,

if anyone knows how to disassemble this device pls help
15th July 2009, 02:35 PM |#8  
Flag Botosani

More
yes, screen protector. Better not use the screwdriver ... remember warranty ...
15th July 2009, 10:18 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
I thought these dust under the screen issues had been fixed long ago, but now it seems the problem that affected my old c600 has come back to ruin my topaz after just 1 week.

Not impressed.
16th July 2009, 03:12 AM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeono

from the picture, for the second gap, apply the protective foil that comes with the phone. Should solve a bit the problem. Ber in mind that after apply, the touchscreen will not have the same sensitivity. You'll have to tap a little bit harder ...

I already use a screen protector. I'm more concerned about the first gap. I really don't want dust to happen since I bought my phone second hand and it doesn't have a warrenty.
16th July 2009, 06:44 AM |#11  
Flag Botosani

More
Lightbulb
you can always use a can of pressurized air to get the dust out. (same you use with PCs)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)