FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Bee-Free Replace WM 6.5 Hexagon Honeycomb with list Start menu for QVGA - 31 Aug

622 posts
Thanks Meter: 4

By littld, Senior Member on 5th June 2009, 02:58 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Based on work by JMRRJMRR at this link:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=496931

I've managed to do something similar with QVGA and I like it much better than the hexagon grid.

1. To use the original version, copy the contents of StartMenuList.zip to the \Windows folder.

2. To use the easy cab version from witschey, simply copy and run "Single List Start Menu - Titanium.cab" on your device

3. To use drkfngthdragnlrd's modified cpr's (in case you want to experiment), copy the selected files from "Titanium Start Menu.zip." You then have a choice of page scrolling or line scrolling.

4. Another cab is to be found in Post 68, again from drkfngthdragnlrd

5. Another version (cab) from witschey is in Post 83

Backup your exsiting files first!

Screenshots attached.

Update added 23-Jul-09 includes a working selection "halo" round the active icon. I like it. For this one, just copy the contents of StartMenuList2.zip to your \Windows folder and restart.

New update added 31-Aug-09 based on great work from witschey and drkfngthdragnlrd's. Please take a look at post 84 and post 88 for the details.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	StartMenuList.jpg
Views:	7861
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	192721   Click image for larger version

Name:	StartMenuList2.jpg
Views:	4062
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	208249  
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip StartMenuList.zip - [Click for QR Code] (9.3 KB, 2083 views)
File Type: zip StartMenuList2.zip - [Click for QR Code] (661 Bytes, 1086 views)
File Type: zip Titanium Start Menu.zip - [Click for QR Code] (11.0 KB, 825 views)
File Type: cab Single List Start Menu - Titanium.cab - [Click for QR Code] (16.3 KB, 1045 views)

5th June 2009, 03:18 PM |#2  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 57

More
Looks great.. way more functional than the hexagon menu too.
5th June 2009, 11:29 PM |#3  
Flag Linda-a-Velha
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegishua

Looks great.. way more functional than the hexagon menu too.

Really??I only see 6 icons,with honeycomb i would at least have 9 icons 12 with the 4 row update...

Nice work looks good,it would be great if you could add 2 columns side by side,instead of 6 icons you would have 12 and it would still be very finger friendly.

Edit:icons names would be below icons in a smaller font size.
6th June 2009, 12:02 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED_pt

Really??I only see 6 icons,with honeycomb i would at least have 9 icons 12 with the 4 row update...

Nice work looks good,it would be great if you could add 2 columns side by side,instead of 6 icons you would have 12 and it would still be very finger friendly.

Edit:icons names would be below icons in a smaller font size.

You can do that but because it forces a hexagon arrangement the second item in the row would appear below and to the right of the first.

I agree that you get more icons with the hexagon - it's just I find it hard to look up or down hexagons having got so used to columns and rows. The hexagon just looks untidy to me and this seems to be the only way to get some order.

An option could be to reduce the height of the rows and have, say 12 rows instead of 6. I like this as it is, though, especially as I can put icons in logical groups like media, games etc and it's very finger-friendly.

Thanks for the feedback
6th June 2009, 10:20 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by littld

I agree that you get more icons with the hexagon - it's just I find it hard to look up or down hexagons having got so used to columns and rows. The hexagon just looks untidy to me and this seems to be the only way to get some order.

Our eyes are trained to scan horizontally or vertically but not diagonally.
The honeycomb structure is indeed the most finger friendly one, but it's not user frinedly as it does look messy and unstructured.

Sascha
6th June 2009, 01:08 PM |#7  
Flag Sofia
Thanks Meter: 45

More
May I ask for VGA version of it? If there is one and I probably missed it than I am sorry.
6th June 2009, 01:18 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
you may wanna concider doing wvga also, people in blackstone forum would be happy if i knew how id do it myself
6th June 2009, 06:25 PM |#9  

More
lesscro, could you post your edited .cpr please? that looks great
7th June 2009, 03:58 AM |#10  
Flag Linda-a-Velha

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesscro

i play a little bit with your cpr...
result :

Exactly what i was talking about...very nice.
7th June 2009, 04:09 AM |#11  
Flag Inland Empire, California
Thanks Meter: 12

More
I like lesscro's version. We need a cab file for that and to put it in the WM6.5 plugins thread.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)