I've managed to do something similar with QVGA and I like it much better than the hexagon grid.
1. To use the original version, copy the contents of StartMenuList.zip to the \Windows folder.
2. To use the easy cab version from witschey, simply copy and run "Single List Start Menu - Titanium.cab" on your device
3. To use drkfngthdragnlrd's modified cpr's (in case you want to experiment), copy the selected files from "Titanium Start Menu.zip." You then have a choice of page scrolling or line scrolling.
4. Another cab is to be found in Post 68, again from drkfngthdragnlrd
5. Another version (cab) from witschey is in Post 83
Backup your exsiting files first!
Update added 23-Jul-09 includes a working selection "halo" round the active icon. I like it. For this one, just copy the contents of StartMenuList2.zip to your \Windows folder and restart.
New update added 31-Aug-09 based on great work from witschey and drkfngthdragnlrd's. Please take a look at post 84 and post 88 for the details.