FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[App][14-07-09] Stop PushInternet for real - save 9.5 MB memory

281 posts
Thanks Meter: 18

By TinTin, Inactive Recognized Developer on 3rd July 2009, 04:37 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Stop PushInternet for real - throw Opera out of memory and save 9.5 MB memory

Push-Internet – sounds like a pretty good idea: The user can set certain webpages to be automatically downloaded to their devices in time intervals that can be set. This way it will take much less time to open a webpage, since it's cached locally on the device.

On second thought this isn't such a great thing though:

1.The smallest time interval that can be set is 1 hour. For people that are in need of realtime information from websites, this certainly won't work. And even if you're just browsing to a website that is updated pretty often, you wouldn't want to miss the last hour and would refresh it anyway.

2.Another big downside of push internet: for it to work HTC forces Opera to stay in memory all the time. Even if you quit Opera from within, it will be restarted within the blink of an eye, at the costs of an extra 9.5 MB that are taken from RAM.

3.Opera staying in memory all the time makes it hard to save changes via opera:config , like the number of open tabs.

Now, there is of course the possibility to deactivate push internet some will say, but the available option does not actually stop the underlying pushinternet-service nor does it stop Opera from staying in memory (for no reason).

By downloading and installing the attached NoPushInternet_v2.CAB you will force the underlying PushInternetEngine service to „start manual“ instead of automatic and you will get rid of Opera staying in and eating up your memory after a softreset.

BUT BEWARE: Once you have installed NoPushInternet_v2.CAB, push internet will not work anymore, the respective setting under Touchflo will have NO EFFECT, no matter if turned off or on.

You will have to uninstall NoPushInternet_v2.CAB to actually be able to turn push internet back on. To uninstall got to uninstall programs and click on „Manila NoPushInternet“, all changes will be reverted.

Visit my Blog if you like: http://mytd2.blogspot.com , it's in german however.

This description is included in the CAB file and will be installed to \My Documents folder.

[UPDATE July 14]
Fixed a bug: Opera would not switch to landscape mode on the first loaded page.
Download and install NoPushInternet_v2.CAB or only NoPiFix.CAB if you had v1.0 installed.

Attached Files
File Type: cab NoPushInternet_v2.CAB - [Click for QR Code] (59.5 KB, 12577 views)
File Type: cab NoPiFix.CAB - [Click for QR Code] (517 Bytes, 1657 views)

3rd July 2009, 05:38 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin

Stop PushInternet for real - throw Opera out of memory and save 9.5 MB memory

Push-Internet – sounds like a pretty good idea: The user can set certain webpages to be automatically downloaded to their devices in time intervals that can be set. This way it will take much less time to open a webpage, since it's cached locally on the device.

On second thought this isn't such a great thing though:

1.The smallest time interval that can be set is 1 hour. For people that are in need of realtime information from websites, this certainly won't work. And even if you're just browsing to a website that is updated pretty often, you wouldn't want to miss the last hour and would refresh it anyway.

2.Another big downside of push internet: for it to work HTC forces Opera to stay in memory all the time. Even if you quit Opera from within, it will be restarted within the blink of an eye, at the costs of an extra 9.5 MB that are taken from RAM.

3.Opera staying in memory all the time makes it hard to save changes via opera:config , like the number of open tabs.

Now, there is of course the possibility to deactivate push internet some will say, but the available option does not actually stop the underlying pushinternet-service nor does it stop Opera from staying in memory (for no reason).

By downloading and installing the attached cab you will force the underlying PushInternetEngine service to „start manual“ instead of automatic and you will get rid of Opera staying in and eating up your memory after a softreset.

BUT BEWARE: Once you have installed NoPushInternet.CAB, push internet will not work anymore, the respective setting under Touchflo will have NO EFFECT, no matter if turned off or on.

You will have to uninstall NoPushInternet.CAB to actually be able to turn push internet back on. To uninstall got to uninstall programs and click on „Manila NoPushInternet“, all changes will be reverted.

Visit my Blog if you like: http://mytd2.blogspot.com , it's in german however.

This description is included in the CAB file and will be installed to \My Documents folder.

thanx for the app
i'm looking for this a wile push internet is really not good dont like it at al

again thanx man really good work

GRTZ Roosen
3rd July 2009, 08:39 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 44

More
It can also be done in the registry.
HKLM\Software\HTC\PushInternet\Enable => change to 0
4th July 2009, 01:56 AM |#4  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Hamburg

More
@roosen
Thank you! Glad you find it useful.

@elmalote
Thats' not all of it.
4th July 2009, 02:01 AM |#5  
Flag Vitoria
Thanks Meter: 1

More
very nice!!
thanks a lot.
4th July 2009, 01:23 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Nice work dude
4th July 2009, 04:11 PM |#7  

More
+10% free RAM : That's a TRICK! Thank you!
5th July 2009, 02:22 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 58

More
thanks friend. have no use for push internet. plus get back some ram!! good.
5th July 2009, 01:12 PM |#9  

More
This is a very nice tweak, thanks. However, it does have one side-effect I am not sure I like. Because Opera doesn't run in the background, everytime you press 'Open Internetbrowser' Opera needs to be loaded and this takes a few seconds. Not sure if the extra free RAM outweighs the wait for the browser to start.
5th July 2009, 01:22 PM |#10  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Hamburg

More
Thanks for the nice comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyWeter

This is a very nice tweak, thanks. However, it does have one side-effect I am not sure I like. Because Opera doesn't run in the background, everytime you press 'Open Internetbrowser' Opera needs to be loaded and this takes a few seconds. Not sure if the extra free RAM outweighs the wait for the browser to start.

That's true, of course and for everyone to decide for themselves. It will only take longer on first start, if you set Opera not to close on X or switch via Taskmanager (WksTask is great for that btw.) it will stay in memory. I for one like to decide myself if and when Opera stays in memory. Also this "downside" is an "upside" for some: Your device will start quicker, as Opera isn't loaded automatically.

You may however load Opera via autostart and have both: Opera ready in memory, but you can throw it out of memory if/when you like. Probably the best for your specific liking, Betty.
6th July 2009, 09:34 AM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyWeter

Opera needs to be loaded and this takes a few seconds. Not sure if the extra free RAM outweighs the wait for the browser to start.

It is a personal choice depending also on what use you are making of your device, but as you said, it takes a really short time to load Opera. Be also aware that having a more charged RAM can:
  • slow down your device
  • drain battery more quickly (this is the problem I'm trying to fight by all means!)

I think that HTC decided to load Opera at startup "just for the show", to impress people when they discover their newly bought device for the first time. But with passing of time the surprise effect vanishes and users may want to have a more efficient device for every day use. Anyway..it's all up to you guys!!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)