FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Force Android to use ONLY 3G?

170 posts
Thanks Meter: 6

By Weees, Senior Member on 13th July 2009, 04:42 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi

Is their anyway I could force android to use ONLY the 3G UMTS network ? it keeps jumping to 2g randomly and the download speed drops from 500kb/s to 15 !!!! So its really pissing me off.

If anyone has ANY idea how to do this, please let me know

Krgrds,
Waseem
The Following User Says Thank You to Weees For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Weees Ad-Free
13th July 2009, 05:00 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Well sometimes 3G networks aren't available and your phone can't connect to them. So it uses 2G networks to preserve the download and the connection
13th July 2009, 05:05 PM |#3  
Flag Bronx by way of Brooklyn
Thanks Meter: 512

More
Download Any Cut from the market.
Make a short cut using Activity.
Select Phone Info.
Select from the drop down list towards the bottom "WCDMA only".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dkb218 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dkb218 Ad-Free
random_username_
14th July 2009, 05:57 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
there is an option on the hero rom to use only 3g networks
14th July 2009, 06:21 PM |#5  
Flag St. Louis
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weees

Hi

Is their anyway I could force android to use ONLY the 3G UMTS network ? it keeps jumping to 2g randomly and the download speed drops from 500kb/s to 15 !!!! So its really pissing me off.

If anyone has ANY idea how to do this, please let me know

Krgrds,
Waseem

If you did this and were downloading something you would get tons of dropped connections. T-Mobiles 3G is still kinda in its beginning stages and isn't near as available or reliable as the bigger networks (Sprint/verizon/AT&T)
14th July 2009, 07:26 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkb218

Download Any Cut from the market.
Make a short cut using Activity.
Select Phone Info.
Select from the drop down list towards the bottom "WCDMA only".

Dude.....YOUR A GENIUS

Thanks abunch for the suggestion !! Yea..it worked just fine

I would have never guessed that one !!

Thanks to everyone else who contributed ! appreciate your help !.
The reason I wanted this is because my G1 sometimes suddenly drops the 3G and goes to 2g in a zone where 3G signal is excellent and im downloading at 400kb.s but for some wierd reason it switches to 2G and I have to wait untill it decides to switch back to 3G. But thats solved now.......FINALLY
14th July 2009, 08:20 PM |#7  
Flag St. Louis
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weees

Dude.....YOUR A GENIUS

Thanks abunch for the suggestion !! Yea..it worked just fine

I would have never guessed that one !!

Thanks to everyone else who contributed ! appreciate your help !.
The reason I wanted this is because my G1 sometimes suddenly drops the 3G and goes to 2g in a zone where 3G signal is excellent and im downloading at 400kb.s but for some wierd reason it switches to 2G and I have to wait untill it decides to switch back to 3G. But thats solved now.......FINALLY

That makes sense. I'll have to keep that in mind when STL eventually gets damn 3G
18th August 2009, 03:04 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
thank you!!!
On my operator (italian - TIM) i was going from 4mbit to 8kbit on "edge"

my operator thanks you also (as i was going to switch to another operator with better coverage) :P
19th August 2009, 04:23 PM |#9  
Flag SE Michigan
Thanks Meter: 117

More
Set phone for only 3G (WCDMA)
There is yet another way...

From the dialer, type exactly:
*#*#4636#*#*

After a moment, a screen will appear called "Testing". Select the drop-down that says "Phone Information". From there, scroll down to where it should say "WCDMA preferred", and change it to "WCDMA only". Use the back key to get out. It should stay selected even through a reboot.

This works on CRC1 (the latest US 1.5 "Cupcake" ROM) but I can't say for sure if it will work for other phones (myTouch) or other markets (UK).

It's essentially the same as AnyCut/BetterCut, you're just using a different way to get there. This uses more battery than 2G (GSM), but everyone already knew that, right?

HTH!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to voxluna For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift voxluna Ad-Free
25th February 2010, 09:04 PM |#10  
Flag belfast

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxluna

*#*#4636#*#*

After a moment, a screen will appear called "Testing". Select the drop-down that says "Phone Information". From there, scroll down to where it should say "WCDMA preferred", and change it to "WCDMA only". Use the back key to get out. It should stay selected even through a reboot.

This works on CRC1 (the latest US 1.5 "Cupcake" ROM) but I can't say for sure if it will work for other phones (myTouch) or other markets (UK).

It's essentially the same as AnyCut/BetterCut, you're just using a different way to get there. This uses more battery than 2G (GSM), but everyone already knew that, right?

HTH!

thank you that worked a dream,am based in uk
2nd March 2010, 03:54 PM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxluna

*#*#4636#*#*

HTH!

I tried this with Internet Radio in the Car and it seem to cut out less often, just wondered if there was any other way to increase the 3G signal on the phone as it has not external connector for a 3g antenna, is it possible to solder a connector in, is there any know mod, it would be so cool to listen to internet radio without so many cut outs.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)