FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

(Sticky?) ROM List -- Complete (and editable!) database of all builds.

128 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By jay652, Senior Member on 17th July 2009, 12:27 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
COMPLETE BUILD DATABASE GOOGLE DOC

Several months ago, SimonNWalker assembled a ROM database (http://www.simonwalkerphotos.com/and...nformation.asp) full of details of just about every build cooked up. The problem is, users can't edit it, and thus, one person is stuck tracking every single ROM -- many of which are updated daily.

So, I've decided to put together a spreadsheet -- fittingly, a Google Doc -- that can be edited like a wiki. The obvious advantage to this Doc is that it's so easily editable -- just click the link, fill in a cell, and the spreadsheet will automatically save. This can be used by developers (so they won't have to constantly answer "Does this build have the HTC Dialer?", "Does Bluetooth work?", etc.), and by those looking to help out the Android community.

If developers start putting this link in their threads, those who use their builds will probably update the Doc themselves. Essentially, this can turn out to be the best way to keep track of the dozens of ROMs scattered about the community. I understand that it has its limitations -- the inability to sort by data field, for example -- but it seems to be the best and easiest way to keep things organized.

I don't have time to fill in the entire spreadsheet, but I got it started with a sample. If you guys want to get to work filling in the rest, we can have a complete, comprehensive database within days/hours!

PLEASE, only include information that is accurate and truthful. And if you see a cell with incorrect information (perhaps something that was absent in one build, and added in recent updates), feel free to fix it!

Here's the link: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...veMKSI2BLcUI7g

Read-only, printer-friendly, old-browser-friendly page: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...7g&output=html

How to add a new ROM:

Find the type of build (Hero, Ion, etc.) that the ROM belongs to. Right-click on the letter of the last column within that build family. For example, If I wanted to add a Hero ROM (and let's say that the last Hero ROM was in the E column), I would right-click "E" (top of page), and click "Insert 1 left". This will get you a new column to work with.

How to add a new Base OS/build (Hero, Ion, etc.)

Follow the steps above ("How to add a New ROM"), and make two or three columns.
You should now have a current build with some actual columns, and two or three blank ones. Click the Base OS cell (it should be highlighted in a background color already; Hero, for example, is green), and unmerge the cells by clicking the "Break Apart" button (third from the right; left of the formula and wrap text buttons). This will give you individual cells.
At this point, highlight the three/four/however many cells of the original build (let's say, Hero), and click that same button to merge just those. Then, highlight the two or three new cells, and merge those separately. Give it a new color, and you should be done.

It's definitely more confusing to explain than to just do; you should be able to figure it out once you get to the spreadsheet. If anyone wants to expand on/rewrite this tutorial, please do so, and I'll paste it up here.

INSERTING COMMENTS:

I've inserted a sample comment in cell B4 (T-Mobile US OTA/Developer) as a sample. It's represented as a small colored square in the top-right corner of that cell. If you hover over it, a comment window will appear.

Comments can be useful for disputed information, questions/concerns, etc. For example, if you believe a cell to have incorrect information -- but aren't certain enough to change it yourself -- just add a comment asking someone to verify. If you see a resolved comment/issue, please delete it by deleting all of the text within the comment popup window.

17th July 2009, 12:30 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Washington, DC

More
(Space saved in case needed later)

PS: Like a wiki, revision history is available (File > Revision History). So, if someone feels the need to vandalize the spreadsheet, it can probably be recovered by reverting to an older version. And of course, it couldn't hurt to backup the Doc on your computer every once in a while!
17th July 2009, 12:33 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
cyrowski assembled it? Didn't SimonNWalker do it? Great idea however. Im beginning to edit!
17th July 2009, 12:46 AM |#4  
PDX
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thumbs up
Good call. wiki = good.
17th July 2009, 12:47 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Washington, DC

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alritewhadeva

cyrowski assembled it? Didn't SimonNWalker do it? Great idea however. Im beginning to edit!

Oh, you're right. I scrolled down on his page, saw cryowski, and just went with that. Fixed it now; thanks!
17th July 2009, 12:52 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay652

Oh, you're right. I scrolled down on his page, saw cryowski, and just went with that. Fixed it now; thanks!

no problem! Just finished filled in JAC and most of cyrowski's hero build. You mind adding cupcake builds? Don't want to mess up the layout you built
17th July 2009, 01:04 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Washington, DC

More
Quote:

no problem! Just finished filled in JAC and most of cyrowski's hero build. You mind adding cupcake builds? Don't want to mess up the layout you built

Sure, I added an ADP section to get you started. I also put two little tutorial blurbs at this top of this thread; explaining how to add a new ROM and a new base OS (which you were requesting). That way, if you want to add one on your own, you'll know how. Let me know if you need me to clarify anything; it was a little difficult to explain, but not that difficult to actually execute.
17th July 2009, 01:05 AM |#8  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Wheaton, Il
Thanks Meter: 1,730

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Im beginning to edit!

Lord help us
17th July 2009, 01:09 AM |#9  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Wheaton, Il
Thanks Meter: 1,730

Donate to Me
More
Shouldn't 1.5 be first (left side)cause the G1 is based off of that?? the others are ported
17th July 2009, 01:16 AM |#10  
El Paso, TX
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey1022

Shouldn't 1.5 be first (left side)cause the G1 is based off of that?? the others are ported

I agree! 1.5 should be first.
17th July 2009, 01:35 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
What a great idea. I've deleted two idiotic cells already!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
builds, database, list, roms

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)