FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 GPU

[Guide] Original VS. Fake BST-41 XPERIA X1 Battery

44 posts
Thanks Meter: 4

By kanthai, Member on 23rd July 2009, 07:35 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I've bought new BST-41 Battery off ebay weeks ago.
He claim that they're "100% Original BST-41 New Sony Ericsson Battery X1 X-1 " and "From Sony Ericsson Singapore (NOT CHINA FAKE BATTERY)"
with the price of 17.99$ and free shipping so, I think I should give it a try.
As suspected, it is a fake, very neat fake I must say.

As you can see, they are almost identical.

Hologram reflects at ~30 degree. The fake hologram will elevated from label a little (like stick them on top), but the original will smooth across surface.

Hologram closeup. The fake one have more pixelation than the original.
Look at both SE logo and the word "SONY ERICSSON" around it.

Label closeup. Look at "Sony Ericsson" and "+" (positive), they will have some blur edge and not crisp.

Label closeup (lower part). The word "WNBTS" alignment off a little.

Back side. The fake one will have overlapping label.

Top side. You will notice that the battery shape is not identical, the fake one will have round edge, the original will have more square like edge. This is the easiest way to detect.
Another consideration is the "Moisture Sensor", the fake one will have "plain paper" instead of the moisture sensor (I have tried pouring water over it and the color won't change) and the size is larger too.

Bottom side. The original will have a hole (to depress pressure in case of exploding).

As of now, I've contacted the seller and ask him whether this is the original or not.
He replies "Yes it is original sony battery.. pls try to use it and by using it, u will know it is original."

What should I do?

File a dispute to Paypal? Contact SE to confirm it? Report the item to ebay?

I want to hear an opinion from you guys.

Thanks everyone who read this.
Kan
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kanthai For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kanthai Ad-Free

23rd July 2009, 08:19 PM |#2  
Flag Viña del Mar
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Man you have to take case in the matter... firstly report to ebay, and I think that ebay has the obligation to report to SE... do not contact the seller because ebay get throught there at the beginning, skip it and go right to open a case and report fake description, unsatisfied and sort of...
24th July 2009, 01:41 AM |#3  
U.S. of A.

More
Firstly, what I have learned: "only dummies buy batteries on ebay"!

If you want the 'real' thing for sure, don't be cheap and go directly to a Sony Style Store and pay the price that this battery costs!

So, now: for me the 'original battery' that came with the phone looked fake to me from the beginning, I opened the X1 box the first time, anyways.

Second, I have a 09W23 model phone now and the battery looks now totally different if you compare with the 'old 2008'! It even states now 1450/1500 mAh!!! So looks and sounds now even 'faker'.

To Your case now, did you put it in the phone yet? I read somewhere that if one uses a 'fake' battery, the phone displays "Alien Battery" on the display. Not sure if this is the same with this.

At least for me, especially since the manufacture dates are different (the supposed fake one is later) if that is a fake, they did a pretty good job.

In order for ebay or paypal to do something (at least here in the U.S. of A.) you need to PROOF that this is a fake. And you can only do that by going to SE and have them confirm this is a fake! Then you can complain and file a report with ebay/paypal and get your money back. And hopefully learned your lesson and buy it direct at SE in the future!

In all my years of having SE phones, I never(!) found a real battery on ebay (unless somebody broke their phone and sold their battery!)! This is one thing one should not be: too cheap, and buy at the real place to get the real deal! (You say you paid 17.99... come on, the real thing runs for 59 or so! And you probably bought this from a user in Asia...somewhere....!)

By the way, I use the mugen power battery and compared to the SE OEM battery, that one looks like the cheapest crap you can imagine. But so far, all well and it has 1800mAh. AND the most important fact, the Temperature stays at only 25.9° C ! (the orig. stays between 35 and 49)
24th July 2009, 01:55 AM |#4  
Flag Venlo
Thanks Meter: 68

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthemage

By the way, I use the mugen power battery and compared to the SE OEM battery, that one looks like the cheapest crap you can imagine. But so far, all well and it has 1800mAh. AND the most important fact, the Temperature stays at only 25.9° C ! (the orig. stays between 35 and 49)

You say that Mugen is a good replacement? and the temprature is low do you notice it, like when i use my phones wifi/gps the back is of the phone gets really hot. is it the same with Mugen battery?
24th July 2009, 02:22 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 129

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodoor

You say that Mugen is a good replacement? and the temprature is low do you notice it, like when i use my phones wifi/gps the back is of the phone gets really hot. is it the same with Mugen battery?

yep i had no problem with my mugen 1800, only that its a bit more sensitive to total discharge(avoid at all costs) , but it works nice and doesnt say alien battery

the mugen is an after market product where their company have standards and try to make theirselfes a good name by releasing quality products ,
but this is a simple fake , trying to get as much money as possible from ppl who fall for it , no quality standards whatsoever

dont get it twisted
24th July 2009, 03:32 PM |#6  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 0

More
They did a good job. You did a good job.

I'd start pushing buttons, but not expecting anything to come of it, just for my own satisfaction. eBay has no problem with fakes and misrepresentation as long as they get their fees.

At least they spelt Sony Ericsson right. Not like the double capacity batteries.
24th July 2009, 03:40 PM |#7  
Flag Bangkok
Thanks Meter: 1

More
From the picture provided, the build quality isn't the same. You can definately tell which one is genuine by looking at it, but the scary thing is the counterfeit items look better and better. Not for long, we won't be able to tell which one is the real product.

Have you tested it? If the performance is fine, its worth it.
25th July 2009, 03:06 AM |#8  
U.S. of A.

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodoor

Yes, I do say! There were several older threads about this phone getting warm/hot. And one person suggested because the battery should be of higher capacity. So I went for this Mugen Power 1800mAh.
When it came it looked really like "what the heck did I buy", and the charge seems to be shorter then the OEM (like about 1 hour or so). BUT the most important part for me is solved, the battery temp stays ALWAYS below 30°C!

Once my OEM went up to 55 and somebody said its close to im/explode.

The phone still gets warm but probably because of the CPU working, definately NOT the battery.

I recommend the 1800mAh anytime! But not this 3600 as somebody stated this is just 2 of those packed together and the phone cannot calculate the real charge and this cover you need looks cheap and probably is!

Hope that helped! Just don't buy this or any other battery off ebay! Go buy it at the dealer to be safe rather then sorry!
25th July 2009, 06:59 AM |#9  
Flag Anaheim
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthemage

Yes, I do say! There were several older threads about this phone getting warm/hot. And one person suggested because the battery should be of higher capacity. So I went for this Mugen Power 1800mAh.
When it came it looked really like "what the heck did I buy", and the charge seems to be shorter then the OEM (like about 1 hour or so). BUT the most important part for me is solved, the battery temp stays ALWAYS below 30°C!

Once my OEM went up to 55 and somebody said its close to im/explode.

The phone still gets warm but probably because of the CPU working, definately NOT the battery.

I recommend the 1800mAh anytime! But not this 3600 as somebody stated this is just 2 of those packed together and the phone cannot calculate the real charge and this cover you need looks cheap and probably is!

Hope that helped! Just don't buy this or any other battery off ebay! Go buy it at the dealer to be safe rather then sorry!

This is a very interesting and INFORMING TOPIC with alot of informing posts.

Anyways, I don't think your battery can implode due to overhearing.
26th July 2009, 12:04 AM |#10  
Flag Hannover / Germany
Thanks Meter: 16

More
kanthai
how is performance in comparison with original one?
26th July 2009, 08:08 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 422

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by prewed

kanthai
how is performance in comparison with original one?

I'd also like to know. I am currently in the dilemma of deciding between the 1800 and 3600. The 1800 keeps teh size, but the 3600 offers the power.... Hmm... I'm opting for the 3600 but I wouldn't be able to know if it's time to recharge or not! So .... Also, the 1800 is only 25 euros while the 3600 is 70 euros.

I'd want to have my phone last ALL Day with 3G and leaving a chat application open/connected.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)