FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Bluetooth Remote Control for Android Media Player, etc

414 posts
Thanks Meter: 117

Post Reply Email Thread
I'm looking for a Bluetooth remote to use in my car, to control my G1 when it's hooked up as a music player. This is both a safety and convenience concern.

The starting point is finding a remote control that transmits Bluetooth directly to the G1 (i.e., not infrared or wired). It needs, at a minimum, a forward and a stop button. Reverse, pause, and other functions are nice, but not mandatory.

The other half of the solution is software to control the media program in Android, which may or may not already exist; if not, I'll commission someone to write it. Maybe I can even offer a turnkey system for sale if there's enough interest.

I know someone's will say "search the forums", and I did. What I found seemed to be focus on wired remotes for another HTC phone, or remote controlling your PC with your phone. But if I missed a relevant post, please do correct me.

Ideas are greatly appreciated.

25th July 2009, 04:52 AM |#2  
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 1

More
remote
there is a remote for gaming used for the n95 i saw on a website it worked for android on a basic level. maybe that might help. in the development of this
25th July 2009, 06:46 AM |#3  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Found this on another thread http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87Wc0KqnW2M that some people are using. Jabra BT3030

Aux cable from car stereo plugged into remote. Remote paired with phone. Not *completely wireless* but atleast you don't have to look at your phone.

Does that get you anywhere?
29th July 2009, 10:51 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag SE Michigan

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by juphro

Found this on another thread http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87Wc0KqnW2M that some people are using. Jabra BT3030

Hmm, I posted a reply to this, but it isn't showing up. Maybe forgot to submit.

Anyway, thanks for pointing this out. I had seen this a long time ago and forgot all about it. That's exactly the kind of thing I want. Here's the instruction manual, for anyone else who might be interested. It's about US$55.

The only problem I see here is that it'll register as a headset and thereby disable the sound coming out of the extUSB connector in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistol4413

there is a remote for gaming used for the n95 i saw on a website it worked for android on a basic level. maybe that might help. in the development of this

It's the Zeemote JS1, and this blog has a video showing it interacting with a G1. This may ultimately be what I'd have to go with... it seems to be designed solely as a controller, without A2DP getting in the way. But looks like it needs some kind of interfacing software, at least on the Nokia. At US$20, I should just get one and play around with it. Cheaper than buying another car stereo with BT built in.
26th August 2009, 06:45 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag SE Michigan

More
Thumbs up Dual Infrared + Bluetooth Remotes
FWIW, I ran across two rare, interesting items.

One is the RicaVision Vave 100 Universal Remote. Unfortunately, it's $349... but in theory, it would control both your car stereo (via infrared, which the majority of remotes use) and the G1 (via Bluetooth). It's able to "learn" commands from 24 infrared devices, and has a 2.4" 240x320 color LCD screen. No PC or internet connection is needed for configuration.

The screenshots show artist/track info being received from Windows, so it's Media PC-oriented, but still a possibility -- assuming you could program it accordingly. If so, just carry it back and forth between home and car: use it inside for your TV and PC, outside for the car stereo and G1.

The other device is the Ricavision SideShow Remote for the same price, also having IR + BT transmitters. This is purpose-built for Windows SideShow, and has fewer buttons -- volume, play/pause, prev/next, etc. It's smaller than the Vave, but still has a 2.5" QVGA screen. This is perfect for my car setup, but there doesn't seem to be a learning mode or any way to program, so the chances of it working are about zero. Boo!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	view1.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	220952   Click image for larger version

Name:	view3.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	220953   Click image for larger version

Name:	view7.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	220954   Click image for larger version

Name:	ssremote1.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	220959  
random_username_
26th August 2009, 06:51 PM |#6  

More
try the jabra 3030 (dogtag) theyre about $15 on ebay
2nd September 2009, 07:34 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Apparently some people have had luck with this one:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8422
random_username_
2nd September 2009, 01:05 PM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by trigeek

yep they're pretty good once you get a working one
2nd September 2009, 05:24 PM |#9  

More
Quote:

Thats what im running right now. works pretty good battery is def not what its said to be though.
random_username_
2nd September 2009, 05:34 PM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do0zman

Thats what im running right now. works pretty good battery is def not what its said to be though.

mabye you got a faulty one like i did because the first one i got had a 10 minuite battery life lol
3rd September 2009, 05:22 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag SE Michigan

More
Quote:

If that worked in my case it'd be perfect, and it's the smallest form factor yet. The only problem I foresee with this and the Jabra is that they'll want to subvert my wired headphone output over to A2DP. But for $13 I'll probably take a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJbdoggg

yep they're pretty good once you get a working one

Yeah, buying directly from mainland China, you never know what you'll get -- and if it doesn't work, it's usually pointless return it. But I've bought stuff from DealExtreme before, and dirt cheap, too. Back when I had this flashlight habit....
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, bluetooth, media player, remote control

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)