I've read several articles both on xda and on other sites which talk about how this can be done (in one case for a Magic on the same carrier here in Japan and in the other for a Hero on US-based carrier).
To date this is what I've tried:
- Install the SDK
- Install ADB USB driver
- Download a customised Mms.apk from someone here in Japan - http://kuba.fm/2009/06/11/flashing-a...tbank-network/
- Run the following: adb install -r Mms.apk
1626 KB/s (567891 bytes in 0.341s)
- Tried again from the recovery console, did manage to push the file, but now Messages is Force closing whenever I startup.
- Started by reading the following - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=542540
- Took a backup from the recovery console
- Rooted the device using Dayzee's lovely Noob Instructions
- Installed Root Explorer
- Copied the Mms.apk from the xda URL above into my tools dir
- As per URL I type: adb remount - and get remount failed: Operation not permitted
- If I use Root Explorer to Remount as R/W and then type: adb push Mms.apk /system/app I get "failed to copy 'Mms.apk' to '/system/app/Mms.apk': Permission denied
- Alternately if I try to install Mms.apk from my sdcard using Root Explorer I get the following: Application not installed - Messages could not be installed on this phone
- Again tried from the recovery console with the same effect as above - the Messages application Force closes upon startup.
So to put it bluntly I'm at a dead end..
I'm convinced there's a simple explanation but I've yet to discern what that might be.
Appreciate any help on offer.