FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Now that we have root, what about a failsafe?

177 posts
Thanks Meter: 36

Post Reply Email Thread
Okay, I used a G1 since October 20th, and rooted a few months later when I felt the process was easy enough and could be reversed. I'm not sure how long it'll take on the myTouch, but I'm thinking I'll wait and keep my G1 by my side for Tethering purposes, only because I'm scared to death of breaking the ROM. I mean, we don't even have the original ROM do we? Or at least the SAPPIMG.NBH with all of the myTouch factory software on it? The DREAIMG.NBH used to get back to RC29 was a life saver whenever I goofed things up on my G1. I'd just reflash it from the phone, on the road, and then could do all the rooting on the device. The biggest problem I'm running into is that I'm stuck on a 4 yr old iBook G4, so making the goldcard is going to be weird. I'll probably have to find a way to do it through MS VirtualPC with Windows XP and turn on USB pass-through. Any ideas?

Does anyone know of a way to backup the myTouch ROM before digging in too deep? I love nandroid's capabilities, and the cyanogen recovery 1.4 is of GREAT use on my G1, is it compatible with the myTouch? I'm sure some of this is available by digging through the threads, but this computer's 800x600 screen size is KILLING me (the laptop display cracked, so I'm stuck on an external monitor, and maximum output is 800x600)

Plus, if I have to do any exchanges, it's best to keep everything at factory before sending it in. And I will definitely need to do that should I have any problems. So a factory SAPPIMG would be great. Know how to get ahold of one? Anyone?

12th August 2009, 10:46 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Pittsburgh
Thanks Meter: 36

More
Exclamation
Wow, 85 reads, no replies rather surprised, but a regular search on Google for the MyTouch SAPPIMG ROM pulled up a page here on xda...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=533641

Is this REALLY the myTouch ROM? even if it's the one from before the "Work Email" app came as an OTA (COC1 is the build) that'd be fine, the phone will pull that later on and I don't use it anyway...

Any ideas on whether or not this particular "update.zip" style ROM will refresh me back if i get in a bind and break android? I'm putting some hope on it. According to what's in the rooting thread, the ION's radio ROM is the same as the myTouch's shipping radio, right? Other than that, the SPL is the only other thing that'd need replaced before doing a warranty exchange, so that's all that's left to "unroot" the device. Anyone have access to that, or have a way to dump it?
13th August 2009, 12:45 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Allong the same line as this... I am in Japan on a DOCOMO HT-03. Doubt there is a rom avail around here... I havent gotten in to the rooting yet.. But can i use nandroid to creat a back up of my own(with all of my settings).. Or even Extract the orignal rom, to post here as a repository for anyone else...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)