FORUMS

[APP][24JUN2010]VolDpad: Use the volume buttons as a d-pad; New: Source code avail.

338 posts
Thanks Meter: 9

By beemerTPPC, Retired Recognized Developer on 27th August 2009, 09:57 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have changed my Diamond bay a Touch HD and what I miss more is the d-pad.

I really need it because I read a lot on my device and it is necessary to turn pages, etc. So I searched for a solution.
I've using remaping keys programs for some days, but they are big and have some limitations so I've done my own program with a very simple behaviour:

-Volume UP is remaped to d-pad UP. Can be hold for autorepeat.
-Volume DOWN is remaped to d-pad DOWN. Can be hold for autorepeat.
-Double click Volume UP is remaped to d-pad LEFT. Does not support autorepeat.
-Double click Volume DOWN is remaped to d-pad RIGHT. Does not support autorepeat.
-Double click with hold in Volume UP is remaped to d-Pad RETURN with Hold.Does not support autorepeat.
-Double click with hold in Volume DOWN is remaped to d-Pad RETURN.Does not support autorepeat.
-If a call is being established or is active the volume keys will behave normally.
-Running the file a second time will close the resident with a small tone.

The program is small (7Kb) and remain resident without making use of CPU, it is simply a keyboard hook.
To install it copy the file werever you want and execute it. If you want it to start automatically after a Soft Reset make a link (DO NOT PUT THE FILE DIRECTLY) under \Windows\Startup or your locale equivalent.

REVISIONS
June 24, 2009: I've liberated the source code in order to allow other developers to improve the concept!!

August 28,2009:
-Soved the Back Arrow issue on HTC devices.
-Added support for unloading the program
-First try to add suport for Return-Hold (Context menus)

IMPORTANT
Some users are having issues with VolDpad on HD2 and Diamond 2. This one solves the issue:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...91&postcount=4

Hope it will be useful

If you like it and want to give me a buck please use this button:

Thanks to the following donators:
Johannes B., Federico, Mike P., Marie-Fran├žoise H.,

DOWNLOADS
Download VolDpad from my site.
27th August 2009, 10:22 AM |#2  
Flag Dubai , UAE
Thanks Meter: 44

More
really nice app

but does it work in touch pro 2 ?
27th August 2009, 11:36 AM |#3  
OP Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Madrid
Thanks Meter: 9

More
I've tested it only on a Diamond and on a Touch HD.
But the technology should be the same for the TP2
27th August 2009, 12:14 PM |#4  
Retired Moderator
Flag Jerusalem
Thanks Meter: 338

More
well this is brilliant! and it works great on my blackstone.

few suggestions:
- it would be a good idea to have command-line support so that you can turn it on and off easily by creating shortcuts or assigning hardware buttons to enable or disable it, or having a status check so that if it's on, next time you run it will turn it off and vice versa.
-it would be great to have both the "ok" button support and the "hold ok" button support so that you can load "right click" menus.. (you can have the upper vol button function as "ok" and lower vol button function as "hold ok")

wonderful work
27th August 2009, 01:56 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
it works perfectly on my HD!
27th August 2009, 04:09 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Virtual button interrupt on HD?
hi all,

installed this on my HD and it works well, but i notice that when i try to use the virtual button to go <Back> (looks like a left arrow <-- ), now it goes up instead.

anyone else have this issue?
27th August 2009, 05:32 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
This is a fantastic app, will be useful specially for those who play games on their phone. One query; is there a way to remap the vol key buttons? For example can volume up key be mapped to left key, and volume down key mapped to right key. I say this because in Diamond and Touch Pro the Up and Down key on D-Pad functions normally, its only the left key and the right key that has a problem.
27th August 2009, 08:54 PM |#8  

More
I just check - program works good on samsung i780. Is it possible to disable left/right/return function, but remain only up/down? Could you please add (in future version) any configuration file?

Best regards
Tomasz
27th August 2009, 10:32 PM |#9  
Flag Davistown
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisaparody

hi all,

installed this on my HD and it works well, but i notice that when i try to use the virtual button to go <Back> (looks like a left arrow <-- ), now it goes up instead.

anyone else have this issue?

Same here on the Diamond 2, otherwise, fantastic stuff! If we can either get the Back Arrow button to act like the OK, or return it to its former glory, we are good to go!
27th August 2009, 11:14 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Brillant, and I agree with the ML idea
28th August 2009, 01:29 AM |#11  

More
fantastic. been looking for something like this for my touch hd
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
volume d-pad utility

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)