FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Did You find this helpfull? (Yes, No, or Both. Multiple choice)

Yes

68 Vote(s)
90.67%
No

10 Vote(s)
13.33%

[Tutorial] Optimizing Graphics for Windows Mobile (Small update post 2)

1,472 posts
Thanks Meter: 27

By S.V.I, Senior Member on 10th September 2009, 06:02 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
There seems to be a huge demand to be able to stuff more more stuff into low end devices. In addition to HTC's apps, Windows OS is getting bigger too. I remember when the file count in my windows folder was about 3500 loaded, and now it is getting closer to 5000.

I decided to write a few pages describing what I do to help my rom perform well by optimizing GFX (graphics) to take less processing power; less space in RAM; as well as ROM.

Many have tried to compress GFX using programs; only to be decompressed later on the device in real time. This actually reduces performance.

I am often lazy... but being lazy takes a lot more effort.

I attached a PDF file as an introduction.
There will be more to come (why I took 5 posts)
10th September 2009, 06:02 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
Changing the extension of your files! :)
CHANGING THE EXTENSION OF YOUR FILES!

Ever have a background image that is so complicated with gradients that no matter how you try to save it in PNG format it just does not look good?

I have a solution: You can use save for web in JPG format, then rename the extension to whatever the original file is (PNG BMP GIF and so on)

anyone ever tried to trick your ppc programs to thinking that it is using a BMP image, while in fact it is merely a png with a bmp extension?
Have you ever noticed that a lot of the TSK installers used to use GIF files but now many of them use JPG??

I have some good news for those who are trying to save space in their roms: you can change the extension!

I did that with HTC Phone canvas just yesterday!

after turning all of the PNG's to 8 bit, I did a little experiment:

I took all of the bitmaps out of the Phone canvas cab and saved them as PNG8 in Photoshop. Then changed the extension from .png to .bmp . Put all of these new fake bitmaps back into the cab and installed it. the result is that it worked, saved space and ram.

NOTE: I also tried to do that inside the DLL, but it did not work.
10th September 2009, 06:03 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
post 3
Reserved for more
10th September 2009, 06:04 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
reserved for even more
sorry, but yes, I need it
10th September 2009, 06:05 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
just one more.
eventually at some point I might have to ask a mod to make another one.
10th September 2009, 04:47 PM |#6  
Flag Hanoi
Thanks Meter: 0

More
wait for your post.
10th September 2009, 05:54 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobny

wait for your post.

It would be 7 pages long. can't fit that it
10th September 2009, 05:58 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 40

More
I will read this ! Thanks a lot my friend
11th September 2009, 06:01 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi, thanks for this tut! I'll be waiting for it..also can you give us some insights as to how much reduction was made in the file by doing this? preferably some info on its end result/output such as how much ram was reduced? memory reduced? etc...just based on experience coz I know it'll vary depending on the roms
11th September 2009, 09:25 AM |#10  
Flag Sofia
Thanks Meter: 45

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.V.I

I am often lazy... but being lazy takes a lot more effort.

I must agree with that! Only unexperienced people may claim the opposite.
11th September 2009, 09:40 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecruz

Hi, thanks for this tut! I'll be waiting for it..also can you give us some insights as to how much reduction was made in the file by doing this? preferably some info on its end result/output such as how much ram was reduced? memory reduced? etc...just based on experience coz I know it'll vary depending on the roms

download the file atached to the first post;
extract it;
open with an acrobat reader (adobe reader);
Read it.

the results will vary from file to file. the best I remember this method doing, is making a 14kb image into a 0.5kb file. some come already optimized more or less. so the results vary. all of the png images (except weather) in my rom are less than 1kb each. this adds up with 400 images. before, all of the png gfx took up about 2mb, now less than one.
I will also be writing one specificaly about manila. this will include where you can put the files, as well as how to keep from killing your self when doing a repetative task(s) on a 400 image program.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
gfx, graphics, manila, performance, png

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)