Birthday / Anniversary to Appointments

Search This thread

TheToid

Sep 8, 2009
Heres a little program I made which allows you to automatically create / update / delete appointments based on your anniversaries and birthdays set on your contacts, it uses its own group for the appointments "From Contact" so that it wont interfere with any other appointments you have, also the latest version has a function to view all your birthdays / anniversaries on one screen and sort by various things, you can get it here:

http://home.exetel.com.au/amurgshere/bdaytocalendar.phtml

Download link at bottom of page

The main reason I made it is because I didnt want to have to sync with Exchange and back again every time i add / change a birthdate / anniversary

NOTE: This program required the Microsoft .NET CF 3.5 to be installed on your device, so if you dont already have it you will need it, there is a link on the page to download it.

Let me know what you think, its my first attempt at a Windows Mobile device application, i have been using this app on my own HTC Touch HD for some time and it works really well.

Last edited:

TheToid

Sep 8, 2009
Definitely, I didnt even think of that when I coded it, I will endeavour to get an update done today to fix this issue. Thanks for the input!

Last edited:

TheToid

Sep 8, 2009
Thanks aerodynamic.

And to maniatico:

A new version is up : Version 1.8

* Appointments are now created with a Free status instead of busy
* There was a problem before where editing the appointments manually would cause an error (end date must be after start date) this has been fixed, but may required you to Remove and then Update the appointments through the program rather than just updating.

Download from same location:

TheToid

Sep 8, 2009
Another new version is up, sorry for the successive updates but I wanted to fix and update a few things:

Version 1.9 - 16/09/2009
* Multi column sorting now supported in view (sorting by another column will not interfere with current sort order of items which are equal for that column)
* Option added to select status for birthdays and appointments
* Sometimes appointments would update when there was no need for them to be updated - fixed
* Bug where appointments could not be edited is now fixed for sure (please remove and update if you have this issue)
* Progress bar now shown when loading contacts for viewing of birthdays / anniversaries

Version history is now on website:

Elodie

Jun 15, 2007
Huawei P9 Lite
History & Info

There is a whirlpool thread dedicated to this program here.
1.9 - 16/09/2009

And :
Download

You can download the latest version of the Birthday to Calendar here
Download Link:

Filename: BirthdayToCalendarInstall.CAB
Size: 68.5 KB
Uploaded: September 15, 2009

Where is the link for the 1.9 ?

TheToid

Sep 8, 2009
The download link shows as blue text between the text "Download Link:" and "Filename: BirthdayToCalendarInstall.CAB". It shows up for me, and quite a few other people?? Dosnt it show for you?

If it dosnt, i would be interested to find out what browser you are using, i have tested my website on Chrome, Firefox, IE6 and IE7, havnt tested it much on IE8 though.

Download Link:

####DOWNLOAD LINK HERE>>#### Birthday to Calendar

Filename: BirthdayToCalendarInstall.CAB
Size: 68.5 KB
Uploaded: September 15, 2009
This file has been downloaded 95 (95) times
It was last downloaded on Wed, 16 Sep 2009 19:53:10 +1000

TheToid

Sep 8, 2009
I have noticed there seems to be a bug in the HTC Touch HD (or possibly in WM6) where sounds, and vibrations wont work for reminders on appointments that are set to All Day events, for this reason sounds and vibrations dont work for appointments created by my program on this phone with WM6

Other people have confirmed this problem here:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsmobile/thread/4dbfcc1f-bfc2-4b01-9551-5496fa05be40

I am planning on putting an extra option under a new tab into the program which is called "Appointment Method", basically it will have two options, "All Day" and "Start of Day", all day will result in all day appointments (for those where the bug above dosnt affect them) and "Start of Day" will create the appointments at midnight and end at midnight on the same day (this way they show up at the start of the day only) which should allow the sounds and vibrations to work.

Actually I might add this option for both appointments without reminders and appointments with reminders.

TheToid

Sep 8, 2009
New version is up, you can now control your birthdates and anniversary dates from within the program using the view function, also a few other features including one to get around the problem where all day appointments wont play a sound or vibrate (see previous post):

1.9.1 - 17/09/2009
* You can now view / edit contacts by clicking a selected item in the view birthdays / anniversaries
* Extra setting added for making appointments at start of day instead of all day for reminded / non reminded apointments
* Extra setting added "Show All Contacts in View" will show contacts without birthdays or anniversaries allowing to set them if needed (they always sort to the end except when sorting by name)
* Dirty checking is now performed on the settings so you only get asked to update contacts if you make a change to relevant settings

http://home.exetel.com.au/amurgshere/bdaytocalendar.phtml#Download

woaloo

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 23, 2006
Fairphone
Samsung Galaxy S10e
Hi,

Thanks a lot for this app. Very nice program, very useful and welldone.

I have two suggestions:

- Multi-language translation ( I can do the french one )
- Possibility to add birthday in your app. (I have full of contacts with one person birthdate, but I must remember wife, children,...), it would be a nice option.

I hope it"s not to diffucult.....

TheToid

Sep 8, 2009
- Multi-language translation ( I can do the french one )

This can definitely be done, will have to localise all the strings, but there arent that many in it! :) I will look into it

- Possibility to add birthday in your app. (I have full of contacts with one person birthdate, but I must remember wife, children,...), it would be a nice option.

Do you mean, the ability to add extra dates, then one birthday and one anniversary per contact? The way I normally handle this is to just create a contact with only a name and a birthdate.

However im not discounting this feature entirely, but this one is a pretty big one to implement, although definitely possible, its a little outside the scope of the applications functionality.

Maybe when I have all the other stuff done and added, like the multi language, i will look into this feature a little more.

Thankyou very much for your feedback :)

ady_uaic

Dec 12, 2006
Birmingham
where should i add an anniversary reminder? 'cause i can figure out how can i use this app. when i press update, nothing happends. i have in contacts all reminders.

woaloo

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 23, 2006
Fairphone
Samsung Galaxy S10e
.........Do you mean, the ability to add extra dates, then one birthday and one anniversary per contact? The way I normally handle this is to just create a contact with only a name and a birthdate....

Yes, it's about that. I keep my contact database with persons who have a phone number. For the other ones, I don't create them in my contacts.

I would like to add them in your app, instead of creating a recurring appointement for each birthday or anniversary.

TheToid

Sep 8, 2009
where should i add an anniversary reminder? 'cause i can figure out how can i use this app. when i press update, nothing happends. i have in contacts all reminders.

Im not sure what your saying here ady_uaic, but for the program to work you MUST have one or more contacts with their Birth dates / Anniversaries set, you must also check the settings of my application, and ensure that "Process Birthdays" and "Process Anniversaries" is checked, otherwise they wont be processed and therefor wont create any appointments.

Apart from that, thats all you need to know?

TheToid

Sep 8, 2009
Yes, it's about that. I keep my contact database with persons who have a phone number. For the other ones, I don't create them in my contacts.

I would like to add them in your app, instead of creating a recurring appointement for each birthday or anniversary.

Ok, well this is something I will add later on, basically I will implement my own database, this is a large undertaking for a project that was meant to be small and simple, but im sure once I get these other things done i will be looking for more to implement.

TheToid

Sep 8, 2009
Ok, new version is up:

1.9.5 - 18/09/2009
* Now support multi languages files with icons, read below
* Other minor enhacements

Basically, you need to put at least one file with the extension of .lang in the same folder as the executable on the device, you can also, optionally put another file with the same name but with an extension of .png which should be a 64 x 64 PNG image to be used as the languages icon

Download this file to see a demo of the .lang and .png file for French (NOTE: Not all the french words have been converted and I only used google so its probably not that accurate, words which have not been converted have an X in front of them).

Every 2 lines in the .lang file is a conversion, the first is the english version .. DO NOT CHANGE THIS, change the second line of each one ONLY, you can edit the .lang file in Notepad, just be sure to save it as a UTF-8 format NOT ANSI.

Download the demo french language files here:

http://home.exetel.com.au/amurgsher...&filename=FrenchLanguageForBDayToCalendar.zip

Heres how selection works, if you havnt set a language yet and more than 1 language is available (NOTE: English is always available, as it is built in) then when you load the program it will ask you for the language.

Once it asks you once it will never ask again, unless you click the LANG link in the top right corner of the main form, this will close the app and make it so that next time you launch the app you will be asked for language, but AGAIN this will only occur if you have more than 1 language option available (ie have at least 1 .lang file in the executable dir)

If you create any .lang and .png files, please kindly ZIP them up and email them to amurgshere@iprimus.com.au, I will them include them in the distribution CAB so that everyone has access to them.

The next thing to do is custom Birthdays / Anniversaries...

Cheers!

aerodynamic88

Dec 25, 2008
hey, one small problem for me:

program works fine, creates contacts. but in touchflo calender tab, i cant see these greyed out corners for days with a birthday.
tried to save the bithday appointments as all day as well as start from beginning of day.

when clicking on the date, i see the appointment in tf3d.

thanks in advance!