FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

AlbumArtSync - Copy ALL album art from PC to Phone

622 posts
Thanks Meter: 4

By littld, Senior Member on 15th September 2009, 12:49 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Presenting a simple little vb script (yes, these can be dangerous so tread carefully) which successfully copies over all those little "folder.jpg" files from your computer to your phone.

Works for S2P, Nitrogen, Windows Media Player, HTC Audio Manager and probably all the other more obscure ones as well.

What it does:
It looks though all your music folders in your phone and copies the album art over from your PC

It doesn't copy them if they're already there (clever, huh?) which makes it very quick

What it doesn't do
It doesn't organize playlists, sort things into alphabetical order or play music or anything like that

How to use it:
1. Extract the file "AlbumArtSync" from the zip attached below and then double click it to run it. You can read it line by line first if you like

2. Follow the instructions - specify a source folder (e.g. your music folder) like this:

3. Select a destination folder (this might be an F:\Music folder, for example. It doesn't work with activesync but does work with cards and it works if you attach your device as a "Disk Drive" if you get that option.

4. Wait for it to complete. If successful, it will tell you how many albums it has updated. Like this:

Some more useful notes
1. If you don't organize your music into folders like "artist\album\track" then this isn't for you
2. If you don't understand point 1 (above) then it probably isn't for you
3. If you use embedded album art with media monkeys, this might not be for you either
3. If you don't have album art or don't want it, then you don't need this
4. If your albums have lots of odd characters in the names like "*[{" then it might not work. Hint: rename them.
5. If you sync your music another way like a perl script on a quad-processor Linux wristwatch computer on your home wireless network then that's nice, you're very clever but this isn't really for you either
6. If someone has stopped you from running vbs scripts on your work computer, I can't help you

If you (like me) just use built-in Windows Media Player to sync playlists and tracks but it refuses to ever copy the album art, don't want to waste a lifetime trying workarounds (that don't) and don't want to embed 1200 or so MP3s and WMAs with jpegs which behave perfectly well outside the music file then this MIGHT be for you.
Attached Files
File Type: zip AlbumArtSync.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.3 KB, 376 views)

15th September 2009, 02:37 PM |#2  
Flag Westende
Thanks Meter: 373

Donate to Me
More
Cool
good idea

does it extract the album art from MP3 ?

Does it make one directory by Artist ? with the Album art in it ?

I'll try it this evening :P
15th September 2009, 04:08 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunoisa10

good idea

does it extract the album art from MP3 ?

Does it make one directory by Artist ? with the Album art in it ?

I'll try it this evening :P

No, it will only take album art which you already have on yur PC and copies it to your device if that music is on your device. Windows Media Player usually creates the file on the PC all by itself. One directory per album per artist.
15th September 2009, 06:49 PM |#4  
Flag Westende
Thanks Meter: 373

Donate to Me
More
Cool
tested

result : no album art copied
15th September 2009, 08:37 PM |#5  
Flag toulouse
Thanks Meter: 3

More
thanks a lot this can be really useful
16th September 2009, 01:52 AM |#6  
Flag San Francisco, CA
Thanks Meter: 11

More
This looks fantastic -- and highly-needed! Damn, looks like I have to go use my PC for this... I say this because on my Mac I purchased last year a great album art search and download app for itunes called "TuneUp" -- and that gizmo has practically filled every album art vacancy in my library.

Do you happen to know how I can (a) first get & make all that album art work on my PC's version of itunes?... Is that easy to do? Any hints?

(b) ... then I could use this tool you've created to get them to my WM phone, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by littld

copies over all those little "folder.jpg" files from your computer to your phone. Works for S2P, Nitrogen, Windows Media Player, HTC Audio Manager and probably all the other more obscure ones as well.

16th September 2009, 08:52 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksite

This looks fantastic -- and highly-needed! Damn, looks like I have to go use my PC for this... I say this because on my Mac I purchased last year a great album art search and download app for itunes called "TuneUp" -- and that gizmo has practically filled every album art vacancy in my library.

Do you happen to know how I can (a) first get & make all that album art work on my PC's version of itunes?... Is that easy to do? Any hints?

(b) ... then I could use this tool you've created to get them to my WM phone, right?

Okay, TuneUp will have created all those album art pictures embedded in the music files. I think if they are mp3 and you can import them into Windows Media Player then it should create those folder.jpg files for you and then it should hopefully work. Good luck.
16th September 2009, 09:28 AM |#8  
Flag San Francisco, CA
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by littld

Okay, TuneUp will have created all those album art pictures embedded in the music files. I think if they are mp3 and you can import them into Windows Media Player then it should create those folder.jpg files for you and then it should hopefully work. Good luck.

Thank you! ... D'OH! I just googled "TuneUp art Mac to PC" and found out TuneUp is for Macs AND PC's ... I forgot about that!

This is from a review at The Gadgeteer from February 2009:

Quote:

TuneUp is compatible with both PC and Mac

versions of iTunes

So I am guessing this will be even easier now... As an FYI for all those who've never tried it, I tried so many freeware utilities and scripts that would automatically transfer a song's title into a google image query, or amazon CD query, and the results were never very satisfying. Yes, maybe 10% of the time such freeware would find matching artwork, but it got to the point where I looked at the amount of labor and mental focus it took to find the art, drag it into itunes, etc. ... fwiw, I think TuneUp is one of the best software utilities I've purchased in over 20 years.

Sorry, this wasn't meant to be a commercial... it;s just that finally with your new app, having artwork on players like NITROGEN or the brand new version of S2P would greatly improve the usability of sorting visually by album art.. thus the more artwork available, the merrier. Thanks for your fast reply! Cant wait to try this.
23rd October 2009, 12:04 PM |#9  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag USA
Thanks Meter: 48

More
Thanks! This is exactly what I am looking for since I spent days without any solution to get album arts sync.

But my mp3 structure is a bit different as I listen to multiple language and divide them into folders before artist. So I modify the script a bit to fit mine (sorry it's a bit mess as I don't know VB but c/c++). Maybe someone found it helpful and modify to suit his/her need as well.

Code:
'AlbumArtSync, littld, Septemer 2009, Verson 1.0

'Provided as-is
'Use this at your own risk
'No warranty, guarantee, not even a "it will work"
'I don't promise it will be useful. It doesn't have to look nice either.
'I am not liable for anything at all
'I have no idea what country you are in and have no idea what crazy laws you may have
'and I have no intention of finding out
'If you are in any doubt, don't use it. Walk away. It's your computer, not mine.
'Provided freely for personal use only, unless you like updating your phone in small groups

Dim MyVar
Dim MyInput
Dim Shell
Dim i

Set Shell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

'1. Obtain the source and destinationflders from user input, checking first for registry entry
On Error Resume Next       'in case no registry entry exists
  strRegSourceMusicFolder = "HKCU\Software\AlbumArtSync\SourceMusicFolder"
  strSourceMusicFolder = Shell.RegRead (strRegSourceMusicFolder)
  strRegDestMusicFolder = "HKCU\Software\AlbumArtSync\DestinationMusicFolder"
  strDestMusicFolder = Shell.RegRead (strRegDestMusicFolder)
  if strSourceMusicFolder = "" then strSourceMusicFolder = Shell.RegRead ("HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences\SearchPath")
On Error GoTo 0

strDestMusicFolder = "j:\Music\"
Set objFSO = WScript.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
if Not objFSO.FolderExists(strDestMusicFolder) then 
  WScript.Echo "Destination Music Folder '" & strDestMusicFolder & "' does not exist, exiting"
  WScript.Quit
end if

Set objDestFolder = objFSO.GetFolder(strDestMusicFolder)
    'sort out string variables
    destLen = Len(objDestFolder.Path)

strSourceMusicFolder = "\\192.168.2.2\Qmultimedia\Music\MP3\English\"
GetSourceFolder

strSourceMusicFolder = "\\192.168.2.2\Qmultimedia\Music\MP3\Chinese\Misc"
GetSourceFolder

strSourceMusicFolder = "\\192.168.2.2\Qmultimedia\Music\MP3\Chinese\Female"
GetSourceFolder

strSourceMusicFolder = "\\192.168.2.2\Qmultimedia\Music\MP3\Chinese\male"
GetSourceFolder

strSourceMusicFolder = "\\192.168.2.2\Qmultimedia\Music\MP3\Japanese"
GetSourceFolder

Sub GetSourceFolder()
    'check if the source folder exists
    if Not objFSO.FolderExists(strSourceMusicFolder) then 
      WScript.Echo "Source Music Folder '" & strSourceMusicFolder & "' does not exist, exiting"
      WScript.Quit
    end if

'2. Enumerate the destination folders and check for album art
    Set objSourceFolder = objFSO.GetFolder(strSourceMusicFolder)        
    ShowSubfolders objDestFolder
End Sub

Sub ShowSubFolders(Folder)
    For Each Subfolder in Folder.SubFolders
        destPath = Subfolder.Path
        partialDestPath = Right(destPath,Len(destPath)-destLen)
        'check first for the existence in dest of the folder.jpg file
        If Not objFSO.FileExists(destPath & "\folder.jpg") then
          'check for existence in source of the folder referred to in dest
          sourceFile = strSourceMusicFolder & partialDestPath & "\folder.jpg"

if objFSO.FileExists(sourceFile) then
            'copy the file from source to dest
            objFSO.CopyFile sourceFile , Subfolder.Path & "\" , True
            i = i + 1
          end if
        end if
        ShowSubFolders Subfolder
    Next
End Sub

if i = 0 then WScript.Echo "No album art copied" else Wscript.Echo "Finished copying album art for " & i & " albums"
23rd October 2009, 12:11 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
great stuff, glad you've been able to reuse this.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)