FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[HOW-TO] Edit your user.conf

2,432 posts
Thanks Meter: 6

By kingklick, Account currently disabled on 17th September 2009, 04:57 AM
Thread Closed Email Thread
With all these new "hero" builds coming out/updates for them, it is important to have optimal settings. Many people are not sure how to do this so I thought I would take my time to write a quick how to.

I have also attached a user.conf that is setup with comp cache and backing swap, swappiness of 80. I set the cpu scaling from 384 to 528 Mhz. You may edit this with notepad++ if you would like swap instead. Just open the user.conf with notepad++ and make the changes you want (the file is pretty self explanatory) Just be sure to set compcache to 0 along with backing swap

Place the "user.conf" on your sd root, and use the commands mentioned below

P.S. I apologize in advance to the moderators if you feel this is not in the appropriate place or not necessary, just trying to make things a little bit easier

In Terminal type:

Code:
$su
#sh /system/bin/rwsystem
#cp -f sdcard/user.conf /system/bin/user.conf
*If your ROM does not support "rwsystem"* use:
Code:
mount -o remount,rw /dev/mtd/mtdblock3 /system
Once again, I have attached a user.conf along with the JAC kernel that includes the script which allows you to use "rwsystem" (If your ROM supports the kernel)

Here is the link to the JACSki kernel with ttc_smokee's gps fix and Soul Life's script which will allow you to use "rwsystem"
http://www.4shared.com/file/13326171...l-_Update.html

*Just like anything else on this site, I am not responsible for you bricking or damaging your device*

CHeErs
Attached Files
File Type: zip user.zip - [Click for QR Code] (930 Bytes, 1738 views)

17th September 2009, 05:23 AM |#2  
OP Account currently disabled

More
Post here if you would like any kind of walkthrough for "dummies" reguarding user.conf's or user.init's or
17th September 2009, 05:40 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingklick

*If your ROM does not have a kernel that supports "rwsystem" use

Code:
mount -oremount,rw /dev/mtd/mtdblock3 /system

You missed the space between -o and remount...
17th September 2009, 05:43 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cx92001

You missed the space between -o and remount...

works as-is

some progs accept arguments like that
some don't

mount happens to be one that does
17th September 2009, 05:46 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alapapa

works as-is

some don't

Good to know. Thanks
17th September 2009, 06:14 AM |#6  

More
Smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by alapapa

works as-is

some don't

yah it does work without the space, thanks, but i edited the space in anyway to prevent more posts like that
17th September 2009, 07:21 AM |#7  
Flag N.C.
Thanks Meter: 1,150

Donate to Me
More
Are these edits needed/beneficial for those not interested/using hero ROMs?

I recall MikeTaylor had a file, but i know so little on what these can do. Thanks for doing this man.
17th September 2009, 07:26 AM |#8  

More
Smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by s15274n

Are these edits needed/beneficial for those not interested/using hero ROMs?

I recall MikeTaylor had a file, but i know so little on what these can do. Thanks for doing this man.

Not needed, however I'd say most would argue they are beneficial changes for most ROMS... ie) cyanogen uses comp cache on his builds.

and no problem man my pleasure. My way of giving back to this great site
17th September 2009, 06:38 PM |#9  

More
If you do not know how to edit these files post here and ill make you a user.conf to your liking
17th September 2009, 07:47 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingklick

With all these new "hero" builds coming out/updates for them, it is important to have optimal settings. Many people are not sure how to do this so I thought I would take my time to write a quick how to.

I have also attached a user.conf that is setup with comp cache and backing swap, swappiness of 80. I set the cpu scaling from 383 to 528 Mhz. You may edit this with notepad++ if you would like swap instead. Just be sure to set compcache to 0 along with backing swap

P.S. I apologize in advance to the moderators if you feel this is not in the appropriate place or not necessary, just trying to make things a little bit easier

In Terminal type:

Code:
$su
#rwsystem
#cp -f sdcard/user.conf /system/bin/user.conf
*If your ROM does not have a kernel that supports "rwsystem" use
Code:
mount -o remount,rw /dev/mtd/mtdblock3 /system
Once again, I have attached a user.conf along with the JAC kernel that will allow you to use "rwsystem" (If your ROM supports the kernel)

Here is the link to the JACSki kernel which will allow you to use "rwsystem"
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K39IKK7A

*Just like anything else on this site, I am not responsible for you bricking or damaging your device*

CHeErs

Rwsystem is not kernel dependent, its a script I wrote that made its way into a few other builds. Just a script which resides in bin or xbin directory, nothing more or less.
17th September 2009, 08:01 PM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulife

Rwsystem is not kernel dependent, its a script I wrote that made its way into a few other builds. Just a script which resides in bin or xbin directory, nothing more or less.

o ok kool. I was mislead by a few others saying it was in the new JAC kernel silly people.... Anyway thanks for the fix soul life

you did a great thing by adding that script
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread