FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

WinMo & Xperia Drawbacks - Agree or Disagree?

662 posts
Thanks Meter: 13

By MapleDouglas, Senior Member on 17th September 2009, 09:59 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey guys,

I got my Xperia in early October last year, and it was my first encounter with Windows Mobile. Like many of you I've had mixed feelings towards this device. I do think it can be a great phone - if you put some effort into it and with the help of the xda-developers.

But I took some time and wrote down everything that has annoyed me over the past year with WinMo and the Xperia. I thought it would be interesting to see if there are other Xperia owners out there that share my opinion

All That is Bad About Windows Mobile

So, is this article a load of cr*p or are my objections valid? Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

/Lars

17th September 2009, 10:30 AM |#2  
Flag Nijmegen
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Ì think you summed up about everything I know I hate - and love - about WM. Amen brother!
17th September 2009, 02:24 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
i agreed with you, but i prefer winmo 6.5 over the iphone, the blackberry and the e71.
17th September 2009, 02:41 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Totally agree, and I started in somewhat the same situation.

The X1 is my first experience with Windows Mobile phones, even smartphones for that matter, and I found it horrible in the beginning. The only thing that has made it even harder for me than you is I use Apple pc's so I can't update my stock-rom without lending someones Windows pc and sure as hell can't try stuff like switching rom's!
17th September 2009, 03:59 PM |#5  

More
i agree about the xperia bits and windows mobile 6.1 - but windows mobile is changing - the 6.5.2 builds with the buttons at the bottom are a huge improvement on the 6.1 we have at the moment and the Marketplace will also change Windows Mobile for the better
17th September 2009, 04:59 PM |#6  

More
Agreed on most of it (99%) and laughed a lot, but FRACKING LOL'D at this:

......but don't forget that there is a reason for the absence of those features... Why?...

...because.....

IT'S A GAMING MACHINE!
17th September 2009, 05:08 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
I agree too .. problem is there is no perfect device.
iPhone quite limits the software. No opera mini. No AVI playback.
WebOS and Android are still a bit young. We must wait. And in the time of X1, WebOS was not known and Android was just an infant.
WM plainly sucks, but most things can be fixed and it is actually possible to live with it.
17th September 2009, 05:34 PM |#8  

More
Read the list but can't share all of it. I'm not very sensitive to GUI aspects because the critical items are one-timers mostly and you don't touch them every day. My point is that all the other fancy stuff on the market like iPhone and Android are basícally nice as well but they still are islands in a productivity kind of view. I need my windows/exchange connections and frankly, WiMo does the job. I need my particular range of software and I can get them for WiMo, I can't get that stuff for iPhone. An iPhone for me would just be "a phone" with web access but that's not what I carry that device for. I got my Spb 3 and got rid of the panelmanager (never found out what the heck I shall do with it anyway), got my street/air navigation stuff and my ERP system to run on it and I'm happy. I'm not after Facebook, I don't need strange themes every day, I don't even need weather because that's what I see when I don't stare at the screen but lift my neck (move muscles) and watch out of the window, the ones made of glas. Sometimes I think that I'm "just a happy customer" because that thing does exactly what I was expecting when I put my money on the table. Most of the things on your list I never even came across when using mine on a day-to-day basis. But I use my SE to do the job, it's not my job to do something an the SE.

Cheers - Susan
17th September 2009, 07:10 PM |#9  
Flag London

More
Well put!
+1 for "totally agree"...
all the frustrations ~and yet all the love too ...
Was my first WinMo too -and yes it took several weeks of trial and error(s)
Had it not been for XDA I'd have given up, but thanks to all the great people and stuff here (and my interest /patience /application) I now love my Xperia
Couldn't live without it
20th September 2009, 04:09 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Thanks for all the excellent feedback! I was afraid the article was too long for anyone to be bothered reading it

Looks like you both agree and disagree with me, and that most of you have a love-hate relationship with WinMo as well.

@orelsi - do you follow Battlestar Galactica too? Frakking awesome show!
20th September 2009, 09:59 PM |#11  

More
Great article. I agree with all of the minor irritants about default WinMo interface. Since I never really use MS built-in features and rely almost exclusively on 3rd Party (prettier) apps I don't really care about ugly touch-unfriendly interface.

However, for the uninitiated I can see that this could seem like a very large barrier to entry. I would have thought MS would have done to the old WinMo interface what they did with DOS and Win95/98. Hid it underneath a much prettier shell and NEVER see those old 3.1 style menus (unless a REALLY want to).

When people see my phone sometimes they ask about it and usually I can't recommend they buy it, unless they are pretty tech-savvy. Which I think is a little sad because I love my phone so much, and I wish everyone could get a device as capable as mine, but instead they settle for cruder devices.

Oh well, I am happy with mine, and maybe 6.5 and 7 will bring a little more for me to play with and recommend to others.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
article, cons, criticism, drawbacks, winmo

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)