FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP] Groovefish v0.3.2 [DISCONTINUED]

269 posts
Thanks Meter: 12

By Barguast, Senior Member on 17th September 2009, 02:01 PM
Post Reply Email Thread

The Grooveshark client for Windows Mobile 6

Groovefish will allow you to search for and play virtually any song in the world for free via your Windows Mobile 6.x device!

Current Features
  • Search for individual songs.
  • View song information.
  • Play the song, with common media controls (play, pause, seek, etc.)

Planned Features
  • Entirely new user interface, designed to make it easy and simple to access all parts of the program.
  • Playlists.
  • Favourites.
  • Categories for both playlists and favourites, to help sort them effectively.
  • Album artwork.
  • Radio mode (play a sequence of randomly selected similar songs indefinitely)
  • The option to cache to storage card in order to overcome the 'Failed to start song' error.
  • Fully user-skinable user interface.

Groovefish is built upon the most excellent Grooveshark music streaming service.

Quote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like this app, please consider a donation to encourage further development.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Following User Says Thank You to Barguast For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Barguast Ad-Free

17th September 2009, 02:02 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Can I download songs to my phone?
A. No. This is not something Grooveshark allows you to do, and it won't be something Groovefish will allow you to do. It would constitute piracy after all.

Q. How can I help?
A. At the moment, I want a good solid base on which to build up the rest of the features. If you encounter a problem whilst using Groovefish, please post the details - including how to reproduce it if possible - in this topic. If the problem is non-fatal (i.e. the application doesn't crash) then please check the Debug Log (Options > View Debug Log) and post any relevant information from there.

You can also help by using the Grooveshark service. I'm not sure how they will react to this app, but I'd like to think they can coexist symbiotically since I'm promoting their service. You can support the host of the download by visiting the 1800PocketPC.com website who are kindly hosting and promoting the app for me.

Finally, of course you can DONATE to help encourage further development, more features, etc.

Change Log

0.3.2: QVGA compatibility, more bug fixes, code overhaul
  • Big rewrite of some of the code - should fix some problems, may cause others!
  • Sporadic crash on exit should now be fixed.
  • Searches can now be cancelled.
  • Fixes a crash that sometimes occurred when scrolling the search results.
  • ... QVGA compatibility!

0.3.1: Bug fixes, extra debugging
  • Music player should be less buggy now.
  • Crash on exit should be fixed.
  • Music player now give more information when connecting to a stream.
  • More debugging information (will help the developer in debugging).
  • Two options added; Pause on headset disconnect and Pause on incoming call.

0.3: Total overhaul!
  • Completely rewritten code base for greater stability.
  • Huge improvements to the user interface, allowing search, browsing, and playing on one screen.
  • Search results now display the song and artist name.
  • Media player now allows for playing, pausing, and seeking the music stream.
  • Screen will no longer turn off while the application is running, ensuring the music won't stop playing.

0.2: Major Bug Fix
  • Removes a crash that happened when the song had no artwork.

0.1: First Release!
  • Initial proof-of-concept release.
  • Program can crash if a problem occurs when downloading song artwork (rare) or the actual song itself (more common).
  • Sometimes crashes when clicking 'Back' on the player page.
  • Poor user interface!
Screenshots

Downloads

This application is now exclusively hosted on 1800PocketPC.com. Downloading requires no registration. Please do not upload this file elsewhere.

Download Groovefish v0.3.2 (current version)
  • If you visit the site on a mobile device just click on the Download .CAB image to download the latest verion to your device.
  • If you visit the site on a desktop browser and to download the CAB to your phone, just click on the CAB to Phone Image and Scan the tag using Microsoft Tag Reader, and the CAB is sent to your Device.
17th September 2009, 04:59 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I am really excited about this......playlist support and device screen off would make this the ultimate music app.....thanks for your efforts.
17th September 2009, 07:20 PM |#4  
MD
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Testing
Please post any betas for us to test....thanks

JP
19th September 2009, 04:01 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Releases

0.1a: First Release!

Notes

• Initial proof-of-concept release.
  • Program can crash if a problem occurs when downloading song artwork (rare) or the actual song itself (more common)
  • Sometimes crashes when clicking 'Back' on the player page.
  • Poor user interface!

The first release has been uploaded to the second post! I've tested this on my Xperia and it seems to be relatively stable. That said, I've not done much testing!

The user interface is admitted not very good. I've not spent much time on it, I was more focused on getting a moderately stable first release out there to see how it runs on different devices and at different resolutions.

Next up, I'm going to start designing the 'proper' interface and start adding some basic features that are missing. I have big plans for this!

Hope you like! All feedback welcome.
19th September 2009, 05:06 PM |#6  

More
Seems stable enough for me at the moment. I'm testing on a Ipaq hx2795 qvga. I did have it crash when it tried to get the album art. Keep up the good work!
19th September 2009, 05:50 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrofool

Seems stable enough for me at the moment. I'm testing on a Ipaq hx2795 qvga. I did have it crash when it tried to get the album art. Keep up the good work!

Actually, as it turns out the 'rare' crash would -always- happen when there was no artwork for a song. This was due to me writing a clever bit of code with loaded the default artwork from the installation directory rather than downloading it. As it turns out, this clever bit of code didn't work since it used an unsupported .NET method. Opps!

I've taken this out for now, so it should work for all songs apart from the odd network-related crash! See post 2 for an updated CAB.
19th September 2009, 08:37 PM |#8  
Flag MalmÖ

More
looking good, i like ur UI more than nilson, more finger friendly...
19th September 2009, 08:41 PM |#9  

More
looking good so far.....thanks
21st September 2009, 02:27 PM |#10  
Flag Clifton, NJ
Thanks Meter: 1

More
looking great as of 2a, works w/o issue on the Touch Pro (CDMA).
I can't wait to see where this goes...
21st September 2009, 10:38 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
I'd like to hear some more feedback from others if possible! Any crashes, freezes, etc. I seem to be using a pretty unstable 6.5 ROM at the moment so I don't know whether to attribute the (few) UI freezes to the ROM or to my application. I suspect the former, but it'd be nice to get some form of confirmation.

'Version 1' is coming along nicely by the way - I've write ALL of the UI from scratch and I'm about to rewrite the comms with more speed and greater stability in mind. I'll try to get another release out this week - and it should prove to be a huge improvement...

Fingers crossed!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
groovefish, grooveshark

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)