FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Save CyanogenMod app: Am I an activist, crazy, or both? In the Market.

899 posts
Thanks Meter: 791

By coolbho3000, Retired Senior Recognized Developer on 25th September 2009, 05:12 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
http://www.cyrket.com/package/com.mh...avecyanogenmod
Digg it! http://digg.com/software/Save_Cyanog...Android_Market

This will get the cause more publicity and pressure Google. It didn't quite work for that tether stuff, but this is Cyanogen we're talking about. It is a bit sensationalist, but we want at least a detailed explanation from Google (a re-licensing of the Google app binaries would be ideal) and this is one way to try to get one.

Quote:

CyanogenMod is an unofficial, donation supported modification for the open source Android operating system. On September 24, 2009, Google sent a cease and desist letter to Cyanogen (Steve Kondik), demanding that he cease distribution of CyanogenMod because it includes several closed source Google applications like Gmail and Google Talk.

As users, we believe that while Google was within its legal rights to send this cease and desist order, this letter contradicts Google Android's own open source spirit. Additionally, the distribution of Google applications actually increases adoption of Google products, bringing Google more profit.

Because Google applications are such a core part of the Android experience, we believe that they should be available for free distribution.

To let your voice be heard, please post a comment on this application's Android Market page.

25th September 2009, 05:17 AM |#2  
Flag Jacksonville
Thanks Meter: 104

More
I'm downloading this now!
25th September 2009, 05:22 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
wow an app? cyanogen if you ever had a doubt in your mind people didnt apprecaite you and your work, this is proof we do
25th September 2009, 05:29 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Congratulations on creating yet-another useless application on the Market. No, I will not download your app or comment.

Please reconsider your actions. Android needs all the support it can get, not knee-jerk reactionary polls spreading possible misinformation without the full facts.
25th September 2009, 05:31 AM |#5  
OP Retired Senior Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyPickles

Congratulations on creating yet-another useless application on the Market. No, I will not download your app or comment.

Please reconsider your actions. Android needs all the support it can get, not knee-jerk reactionary polls spreading possible misinformation without the full facts.

I think this one is quite less sensationalist than the last one (and I still stand by the last one). This seems to be the general consensus of this community. Can you point out where I did not give the full facts? I did consider Google's position and offered a counterargument. I kept the whole thing short, and of course it's going to be biased - I'm speaking for one position, after all.

Quote:

As users, we believe that while Google was within its legal rights to send this cease and desist order, this letter contradicts Google Android's own open source spirit. Additionally, the distribution of Google applications actually increases adoption of Google products, bringing Google more profit.

Because Google applications are such a core part of the Android experience, we believe that they should be available for free distribution.

Really, it's just an application to get Google to react somehow. Of course it's reactionary. Are you going to go and rate this application a 1/5 and try to "teach" those on the Android Market my wrongdoings? Google is alienating one of its core audiences (developers and enthusiasts!) here. If anything, their actions were bad for Android.
25th September 2009, 05:36 AM |#6  
Flag Mojave Desert
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by notxel21

I'm downloading this now!

......Ditto!...........
25th September 2009, 05:46 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 62

More
supporting Cyanogen..
25th September 2009, 05:46 AM |#8  

More
It's great that you are open minded about 'open source spirit'.

Can I have your bank account number? Or please provide details on how your Google account links to your checkout account for me. What? You don't want to provide it? Why are you against open-source?

Market will never be open-source because it is a commerce application. Is that so hard to understand?

Further an unreleased version is being redistributed that will cause confusion to the general public. It was licensed to Open Handset Alliance members only.

Why don't I have the latest Market? Why doesnt Google love me? My friend has it! Oh the applications I download from new Market seem to be stuck and its bugged.. why doesnt Google support me on it?

For these reasons and more it was C&D. I'm sure Android team will give him a personal call and talk it through. Stop being so reactionary.

Sorry to be harsh but you have contributed nothing to this community except get people to downlaod your app, increasing your profile. For that I wish you well, but as I said I will not download nor comment on your app because I think its a great idea in intention but totally misplaced because you haven't thought it through.
25th September 2009, 05:52 AM |#9  
OP Retired Senior Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyPickles

It's great that you are open minded about 'open source spirit'.

Can I have your bank account number? Or please provide details on how your Google account links to your checkout account for me. What? You don't want to provide it? Why are you against open-source?

Market will never be open-source because it is a commerce application. Is that so hard to understand?

Further an unreleased version is being redistributed that will cause confusion to the general public. It was licensed to Open Handset Alliance members only.

Why don't I have the latest Market? Why doesnt Google love me? My friend has it! Oh the applications I download from new Market seem to be stuck and its bugged.. why doesnt Google support me on it?

For these reasons and more it was C&D. I'm sure Android team will give him a personal call and talk it through. Stop being so reactionary.

Sorry to be harsh but you have contributed nothing to this community except get people to downlaod your app, increasing your profile. For that I wish you well, but as I said I will not download nor comment on your app because I think its a great idea in intention but totally misplaced because you haven't thought it through.

Did I ever ask for the Market to be open source? I said the C&D went against the open source spirit, which promotes sharing code (even in the form of binaries, which are better than nothing, if necessary) and expanding the community in this way. The Android Market is one central part of the Android experience, and I believe that we should push for a redistribution license for all developers. Of course some sources must be protected (though as a developer I will argue that an open source implementation of the Market is certainly viable without compromising user data).

I don't really care about my profile - my pseudonym here is different from my name on the Android Market, even. You'll have to take my word for it that that is not my agenda.
25th September 2009, 06:01 AM |#10  
Flag Hartford, CT
Thanks Meter: 21

More
[email protected] lame, im downloading this app ASAP
25th September 2009, 06:05 AM |#11  

More
I'll take your word for it, because your response sounds reasoned. But by reading your response, I then also have to ask : Why are we reacting to this?

The new Market will be released when it's done. Until then, only those who have a license (such as Open Handset Alliance members such as phone manufacturers) will be able to use and trial it.

It's not like Google won't release it. They will. They want to. But they just can't deal with the general public having problems with their commerce system. They also can't let it be open-sourced. Sorry but thats just the way they are thinking, I'm sure.

I would rather accept Google's decision anyday, then that of Apple. I don't want Android to have the reputation of hurting developers, because it is so opposite to the truth, which is why I'm so dismayed. Sorry about that.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cyanogenmod, petition

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)