FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[READ ME]Development Forum Etiquette. Help keep our Andriod/XDA devs

826 posts
Thanks Meter: 13

By All~G1, Senior Member on 6th October 2009, 02:34 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
While I am in no way a Dev, programmer, grammar expert or anyone of importance, this is my attempt in helping to help XDA/Devs/Android to keep moving forward in the most efficient way possible. As recent events have unraveled it is apparent that XDA, Android, and a flux of Ports & ROMS has boosted the traffic that we are seeing come in and out of XDA. While the traffic is welcomed the absurd amount of "n00bish" post, bickering, and multiple posting is not and that is why I decided to take a stab at making this thread.

Why post this in the Dev forum?
I want this to reflect the fact that in ANY DEVELOPMENT forum there is a different type of etiquette then in any other type of open forum. I've personally learned this from seeing plenty of GREAT Dev's come and go through XDA. Mods please feel free to move or close this is you feel this in inappropriate in the DEV forum.

PROPER DEV FORUM ETIQUETTE:

-READ!!!-
*Read the developers request/post.
*Each and every [ROM] thread I have ever looked into has had a Changelog and inclusion list! READ IT!!! Its usually located on the FIRST or SECOND post in the thread.
*If you are not willing to read through a thread, then search! EVEN BETTER... SEARCH THE THREAD!!!
*If you are following a thread closely enough and see that others are posting or reporting your same issue, CONFIRM and at the least post a LOG
*If you can not keep up on XDA at least follow a developers Twitter. Its a great insight to what is to come. Rather then expanding the crap to filter through in the [ROM] thread, LOOK for updates.

-Remember-
*Not one Dev on here owes any one person anything!!! So dont expect to be entitled to anything such as updates, explanations, and/or anything that you may want or feel should be included in THEIR work!
*By flashing a ROM(or even rooting) on your phone, you are expected by the community that you have some knowledge of what you are doing; Hence you should not be asking or posting "what is adb" or "How do you Flash" type questions. That is NOT development!!! This is REGRESSION for lack of better words.
*DO NOT post ish like "flashing now" .. "downloading" .. "cant wait to flash".
(added by: lexotic_sc300)
*DO NOT post "how is this ROM?... better?... faster?". TRY IT!!! The RA [RECOVERY] can make going from a non hero [ROM] to a Hero [ROM] in a 5 step process(in theroy) and back in one step with the [MOD]swithROM
*Give credit where credit is due!!! If you wanna say "thanks", do it in a constructive way, maybe say it when answering someones n00b question or drop it in your sig: "Thanks to: blah blah", or both
*It is MY observation that Devs do this stuff for just a few reasons: Money, fun, and/or experience.
-Fun- Just cause they are damn good at it and have the extensive ability to do so.
-Money- Not so much just so they get donations, but time is money, they make something worth paying for then they, you, or I would do it if we you could. So if you appreciate what someone has given the community then I am sure they would appreciate any sort of donation.
-*Experience*- The work placed here is NOT for you. It is shared with the community to further development!!! Its placed here to be shown as a physical representation of what a DEV can do. The more success he has, the better it looks to clients or potential employers. That is why CREDIT NEEDS TO BE GIVEN!!!

-Basic Troubleshooting-
*Wipe
*fix_permissions
*post log
*reformat partition
(If you did not take these steps then you have not tried to fix your problem and you should not make a post till you have tried at least one if not all steps.)
*A Force Close (FC) is when you DO NOT have a "wait" option. These are the "bugs" that Dev's need to be reported to respective location. An Android Not Responding (ANR) DOES have the "wait" option and is probably not due to the [ROM] but apps and/or permissions (someone correct me if I am wrong)

-From Members to Members-
*RESPECT each other!
*Be constructive in your posting. If you are not posting an ANSWER or if you are BEING NEGATIVE towards another member, you are virtually spamming the thread that you are trying to keep clean. The least you could do is point the person in the right direction. Refusing to help at all while berating them for doing it wrong accomplishes nothing besides further clogging up the forum with threads bumped with useless posts.
(added by: loccy, commander)
*Do not Fanboy or spam a DEVs[ROM] thread with another DEVs[ROM]. Keep the respective info in its respective thread.
(added by: HiRoots)

-From Members to DEVs-
*DO NOT "ROM whore"! If its not your work then give credit. You and the other DEVs will know if what you are releasing is a [MOD] or [ROM].
(added by: r_dub, IConrad, ComplexMinded)
*Please make sure your first (and second post) are clear for n00bs who will not read this thread. I know you're working hard on building ROMs for us, but FAQ's and n00b instructions will hopefully help!!!
(added by: digitallysick, _Kyros_)
*Please help us help you. If your attitude is poor then your followers/senior members of what you are developing may carry the same attitude. Lead by example.
(added by: IamLugo)

-From DEVs to Members-
*DO NOT be "inclined to help" for you own personal gain
*(any DEVs who would like to get this section going please feel free to post)

**If you have anything to add to this list please feel free to post it and I will update this post** Hopefully this is not done in vain and can help some of the clutter.

6th October 2009, 02:35 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
Reserved... just in case
6th October 2009, 02:39 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 111

More
Yes thank you this needed to be said well done well written but i would add that making minor changes and reposting a rom does not make it yours nor does it make you a dev like so many people do on xda now days everyone thinks their a dev
6th October 2009, 02:47 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Re: Minor tweaks do not a new ROM make. I.e.; if I took the Cyanogen ROM, swap it out for a +mem patched boot.img file, I could not then call it the IConrad01Mod. It would be the CyanogenMod+mem. Not even if I replaced sh with bash by default.

EDIT: Mostly this post is just a "bump" to keep this higher in the ratings so more people see it.
6th October 2009, 02:48 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 111

More
This should be made a sticky thread really should be
6th October 2009, 02:54 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Id like to also add to your excellent list

dont post ish like "flashing now" .. "downloading" .. "cant wait to flash"

makes the thread grow too fast and makes it a lot of work for people who do try to follow etiquette and search for the answer before posting
6th October 2009, 02:57 AM |#7  
Flag Gijón
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Thumbs up
I also agree
6th October 2009, 02:58 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IConrad01

Re: Minor tweaks do not a new ROM make. I.e.; if I took the Cyanogen ROM, swap it out for a +mem patched boot.img file, I could not then call it the IConrad01Mod. It would be the CyanogenMod+mem. Not even if I replaced sh with bash by default.

EDIT: Mostly this post is just a "bump" to keep this higher in the ratings so more people see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_dub

This should be made a sticky thread really should be

Thanks guys... I knew other members would feel the same way.

Like I said in the first sentence, I stated that I have no dev experience and I am pretty much a n00b, but I actually was not aware of "ROM whoring" so we will see if others agree with this and/or their are current devs who feel this would be appropriate to add to the list.
6th October 2009, 02:59 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 68

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexotic_sc300

Id like to also add to your excellent list

dont post ish like "flashing now" .. "downloading" .. "cant wait to flash"

makes the thread grow too fast and makes it a lot of work for people who do try to follow etiquette and search for the answer before posting

agree to that, and im one of those that says flashing, downloading, cant wait, and i realize myself thats its annoying .
6th October 2009, 03:02 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
"ROM Whoring" is alive and rampant in the forum. I know that all ROMS have "pieces" of other devs work in them but if 90% of your build went untouched then how can you re-release it under your own name?

We honeslty need to seperate ROMS from MODS of ROMS.. There is a clear difference..
6th October 2009, 03:04 AM |#11  
Manila Philippines
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Lets add to that for devs

Make your rom instructions CLEAR , and easy to follow.

Also include screen shots , and don't run all of your links and information together.

If your rom doesn't support specific formats/features please list so.

These things will prevent the same questions and issues being asked again and again
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)