Native IM application working with 3G + patch for GTalk losing messages [Feb 03 2010]

Search This thread

Zappletoo

Apr 27, 2009
I was bothered by the fact that Google Talk didn't show some of the messages I received. Johan de Koning submitted a patch that wasn't accepted by Google but works well. I applied this patch for personal use, but I thought that you might be interested as well.

Also, I had a look at the IM application and I modified it to allow login instead of having the "phone number cannot be read from your SIM" error. This might or might not work. It works for me, but users in the US have reported that it still fails.

UPDATE 16th Jun 2010:
Added version 1.1.2 from Cliq.

UPDATE 3rd Feb 2010:
New eclair version for IM.apk, completely untested. Might or might not work.
Patched ImProvider is no longer useful for Android versions >= 2.
Also, I removed the cupcake IM.apk because I just noticed it is broken and won't work. No-one should be still running a rooted cupcake anyway.

Notes
This is for donut. I tested it on cm 4.2.2 and 4.3.2.1, but it should work with any donut rom. As far as I know, it doesn't use sms at all. It still needs the tmo plugins to login, but no sms are sent. Other than that, it does exactly the same as when you login on wifi.

Installation
Some of these steps will fail depending on the rom (the dalvik-cache and odex part). These errors can be safely ignored.

First reboot into recovery, then, on your computer :
Code:
adb shell

mount /system
mount /sdcard
cp /system/app/IM.apk /sdcard/IM.apk
cp /system/app/ImProvider.apk /sdcard/ImProvider.apk
exit

adb push ImProvider.zip /system/app/ImProvider.apk
adb push IM.zip /system/app/IM.apk

adb shell

mount /system/sd
rm /system/sd/dalvik-cache/*
rm /system/app/ImProvider.odex
rm /system/app/IM.odex
umount /system/sd
umount /system
umount /sdcard
reboot

Of course, I'm not responsible if anything breaks. :p

More information about the sources is available in this post.

Attachments

• ImProvider.zip
    49.2 KB · Views: 700
  • IM.zip
    532.6 KB · Views: 671
  • ImProvider.cupcake.zip
    49.2 KB · Views: 191
  • IM.eclair.zip
    688.6 KB · Views: 720
  • IM-1.1.2.apk
    694.4 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:

NguyenHuu

Nov 14, 2007
California
which roms are these for? cupcake? donut? hero? haha. i pushed them to my hero rom and they do not show up in my app tray or in applicantion manager.

NguyenHuu

Nov 14, 2007
California
ok cool, probably for donut. i tried on Hero cupcake and it fails, just keep getting ForceCloses. owell, i dont use it anyways but just thought it be fun =)

DOHCtor

Apr 10, 2009
Southern California

Zappletoo

Apr 27, 2009
Sorry for the lack of details.. I updated the first post to make it clearer. It doesn't send sms afaik, becaus my plan doesn't have unlimited sms and I wasn't charged for any sms since I patched the IM app.
Also, this is for donut only, because the IM subsystem changed a bit since cupcake.

coredalae

Jul 31, 2009
Utrecht
seems to work fine *tries out this im comparison to ebuddy, seems much faster ^^*

not sure if it uses sms, but dont think so.. ah well got unlimited anyway ^^

Zappletoo

Apr 27, 2009
I'd like to have more feedback.. Does it work properly for everyone ? Any bugs or FC ?

Do you have the source patches for these?

The patch from ImProvider is here : http://code.google.com/p/cyanogenmod/issues/detail?id=597
but I couldn't recompile it from source without breaking everything.. I had to patch the apk directly. Maybe you'll do better. ;)

The patch for the IM application is attached, the edited file is in packages/apps/IM/src/com/android/im/service

can you somehow modify im.apk so that it would stay in memory?

I don't know how to do that, sorry. But it seems the app already stays in memory for a while. Are you sure it doesn't stay already, if it's not killed by an application manager ?

Attachments

• IM_without_SIM_check.txt
    965 bytes · Views: 130
Last edited:

enderx1

Jun 6, 2009
Sorry if I'm being a noob, but how exactly does one install this? I did

adb push /path/IM.apk /system/app
adb push /path/ImProvider.apk /system/app

and rebooted, and I still get SIM card cannot be read errors. I feel like I'm probably missing a step like installing.

DOHCtor

Apr 10, 2009
Southern California
Sorry if I'm being a noob, but how exactly does one install this? I did

adb push /path/IM.apk /system/app
adb push /path/ImProvider.apk /system/app

and rebooted, and I still get SIM card cannot be read errors. I feel like I'm probably missing a step like installing.

Yea, same here. I guess it doesn't work for users in the States. However, it does work on wifi but once I turn off wifi, it disconnects.

Zappletoo

Apr 27, 2009
Try installing it from recovery if you didn't, and clear dalvik cache (rm /system/sd/dalvik-cache/* on cm with apps2sd, not sure about others).

kamikaze2311

May 7, 2009
i'm tryin using it on CM ROM 4.0.4 but when i try push it, i can't use the IM, is there anyone already can used that IM in CM ROM 4.0.4 ?? thanks before

danguyf

May 22, 2006
I hate when my messages are loosed, and run loose around the intarwebs.
Additionally, I don't like to be LOSING messages. =9

Zappletoo

Apr 27, 2009
Last edited: