FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP] Freda - a new ebook reader

380 posts
Thanks Meter: 55

By Jim Chapman, Senior Member on 7th November 2009, 03:02 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
[UPDATE: See http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?p=7141176 in this thread for an updated version of the program, with links to new screen shots and documentation]

[UPDATE: See http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=795753 for the Windows Phone 7 version of this program.]

I've written a program for reading eBooks on Windows Mobile devices. It can read txt, html and (DRM-free) ePub files.

For other formats you can use Calibre to convert them epub.

The program is called 'Freda' - short for 'free reader', since it is free software (both in the sense of 'free beer', as I am not charging for it, and in the sense of 'free speech', as I am licensing my code under the GPL).

It's released now, so please download it and let me have any feeback. (BTW that link points to the WinMo version of Freda; for the Windows Phone 7 version, please go here)

The program uses three third-party libraries, DotNetZipLib, OpenNetCF and the Majestic-12 HTMLParser library; all are licensed on terms permitting their redistribution for commercial and non-commercial purposes. More information is here

Happy reading!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Book1.jpg
Views:	10516
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	255964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Book2.jpg
Views:	7699
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	255965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Book4.jpg
Views:	5569
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	281582   Click image for larger version

Name:	bookshelf.jpg
Views:	2508
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	358217   Click image for larger version

Name:	library1.jpg
Views:	1828
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	358218   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot05.jpg
Views:	1975
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	358219   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot04.jpg
Views:	1609
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	358220   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot03.jpg
Views:	1473
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	358221  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Chapman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jim Chapman Ad-Free

7th November 2009, 03:02 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
Hi Folks,

It's here: version 1.1 of Freda is now released.

Main new features:
  • CSS Style sheets are recognised
  • Controls/gestures can be customised
  • Line spacing, indent and justification can be customised
  • Bookmarks and annotations are provided
  • Dictionary look-up is implemented (using SlovoEd)

See the freda home page for more details, and for download locations.

Any problems or questions, please let me know.

Discussion for this release can be followed from this post on.

Thanks,

Jim
7th November 2009, 04:06 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Briljant,

Its the first epub reader that i found on my diamond that is able to render my epub newspaper correctly. Including links and images.
(the standaard is doing a test this week only with an epub version of its newspaper)

A few remarks to help you with the beta version (witch already is a keeper for me)

I had to install freda into main memory for it to start up.
The splash screen seems to to big, the text on it is cut off left and right, i have a vga screen.
The liberary display setting (icons or details) are not saved.
7th November 2009, 07:34 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Thanks for the feedback - I'm working on those items now. [fixed in release 1.0]

Thanks,

Jim
7th November 2009, 10:18 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Thumbs up
Thanks for this program.
I'm a long time reader on PDAs and there was the need for something new.
I've just installed it now and I'll come back with some comments asap.
7th November 2009, 06:25 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Looking forward to your feedback. Over at mobileread, I've been getting some feedback that CSS formatting is an important feature, so I'm particularly keen to hear the forum's view on that (because the beta 0.9 version of the program doesn't handle CSS formatting at all).

Cheers,

Jim
7th November 2009, 08:33 PM |#7  
Recognized Developer
Flag Currently Reverse Engineering 42
Thanks Meter: 1,665

More
this is a really nice app!

I'd like to see an autoscroll in full screen mode if possible, this makes late night reading sessions a bit easier (less chance of being moaned at because of tapping buttons)

I'm not certain how easy it would be to control speed of scrolling on something like my touch HD with virtually no buttons though..

it's replaced mobipocket for me.
7th November 2009, 08:45 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Autoscroll speed
Yes I had wondered about implementing autoscroll, but wasn't sure what would be a good mechanism for controlling the speed. I was thinking it would be kind of cool to control it using the acceleromter (gravity sensor) - something like 'tilt more to scoll faster' ... but I've not really throught it through. Ideas welcome.

Jim
7th November 2009, 10:09 PM |#9  
Recognized Developer
Flag Currently Reverse Engineering 42
Thanks Meter: 1,665

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Chapman

Yes I had wondered about implementing autoscroll, but wasn't sure what would be a good mechanism for controlling the speed. I was thinking it would be kind of cool to control it using the acceleromter (gravity sensor) - something like 'tilt more to scoll faster' ... but I've not really throught it through. Ideas welcome.

Jim

one option would be to use the volume buttons to speed up and down, but it may not work in the 6.5.x builds as the MS volume control seems to takeover.

accelerometer is an option, but it could be frustrating when you move the device accidentally, unless you set up a control key such as long press talk/send, to enable the gsensor speed control only when the control key is called.
8th November 2009, 01:54 AM |#10  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 52

More
love Free apps
8th November 2009, 10:05 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
free apps
Yep. And also it means that it's less of an issue when the customers complain and ask for their money back .
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ebook epub freda, kinetic scrolling

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)