FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

[Tool/App] user.conf Creator v0.4 for CM and OfficialDonut [8/12/2010]

498 posts
Thanks Meter: 75

By BrooklynAvi, Retired Recognized Developer on 7th November 2009, 08:54 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Update: v0.4 has been released. See changelog in the next post.

You can download the app using the link below or from the Android Market. Click or scan the barcode below.

This is essentially a visual representation of the user.conf file. I created this app because a few people I know have a hard time pushing files in terminal or ADB. This app allows you to push user.conf and userinit.sh files via an app. For people who have trouble editing their user.conf file or find terminal or ADB too complicated, here's your answer. There is no need to edit the user.conf file or even download one for that matter. You simply enter the values into the various boxes and click a button. That's it.

Complete help documentation is included within the app itself so I will not include it here, at least not now.

Important Note: This app does NOT validate your input. Please use the threads below to find out what values are necessary for your particular ROM.

This app is based off the user.conf and userinit.sh files found in the following posts:

For Cyan 3.6.8+
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=542899

For Cyan 4.1.99+
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=536

For Official Donut 2.1.1+
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=538456

Screenshots

For the changelog, see the next post. Please keep this thread on topic. Do not post user.conf issues here. Post your user.conf issues to the proper thread using the links above. This app simply represents those user.conf/userinit.sh files. I will not change the structure of the files nor do I really know much about them. I am more than willing to answer questions regarding this app and hope to update it as needed.

Note: This may very well work on other devices. If someone can point me in the direction of user.conf and userinit.sh files for other devices I will add them to future versions of this app, time permitting.

This app is also in the Android Market.

After downloading, change the extension from .zip to .apk and install as you would any other non-Market app.
Attached Files
File Type: zip UserConf.zip - [Click for QR Code] (41.4 KB, 106 views)

7th November 2009, 08:55 AM |#2  
OP Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Brooklyn

More
Changelog and TODO
Changelog

v0.4
• Added a bunch of different CPU frequencies, pretty much everything I found in SetCPU. I haven't tested this but since it just prints it to a user.conf file, it should work fine as long as the device supports the frequencies you set.

v0.3
• user.conf file actually gets pushed now. Big thanks to XDA forum member andrew richardson for pointing it out. Update above, in the Market and on SlideMe.org.

v0.2.1
• Name change to user.conf Creator (not user.conf Editor since you are only really creating the files, not editing them)

v0.2
• Added support for Cyan 3.6.8x+
• Added support for Official Donut
• Added option to backup you current file(s)

v0.1
• Initial release

TODO

• Add some seriously awesome validation.
• Add support for Hero ROMs (although untested,the Cyan 3.6.8x+ option should work)
• Add some presets
• Possibly look into making this an actual "editor" in that it will read your current user.conf file.
7th November 2009, 11:21 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Looks like an extremely helpful app. Gonna check it out. I really only use linux swap so looks like i can focus on that and leave the default configurations for the other options, am i right?
7th November 2009, 02:05 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
This is a really good idea, and if you get the validation sorted, which you probably will, it will stop masses of people, including me stopping their whining. There will be little to no excuse of not being able to make your own user.conf, and I can see this being introduced to the big roms soon.
7th November 2009, 05:15 PM |#5  
Flag Brooklyn

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2leaponover1

Looks like an extremely helpful app. Gonna check it out. I really only use linux swap so looks like i can focus on that and leave the default configurations for the other options, am i right?

Yes with a swappiness of 50.
8th November 2009, 07:54 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAppCritic

Yes with a swappiness of 50.

Ok so I also only want to enable the linux-swap partition I have. I would just check the linux_swap_en correct? Then push file and reboot?
8th November 2009, 08:04 AM |#7  
Flag Brooklyn

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikerz911

Ok so I also only want to enable the linux-swap partition I have. I would just check the linux_swap_en correct? Then push file and reboot?

If you wanted to enable your linux-swap ONLY (with no other settings), simply open the app, select your ROM, push and reboot. By default, if you do nothing, the app will push a user.conf with linux-swap enable with a swappiness of 50 for Cyan 4.1.99+. Everything else is disabled (or rather, not enabled).

But like I said in the OP, any configuration issues should really be addressed in the proper thread since this is literally an exact copy of those files only with a GUI attached. While I have a pretty good understanding of the various settings, the people who write userinit.sh files know far more than I do.
8th November 2009, 08:09 AM |#8  

More
Well, no issues here. =) Thanks for your immediate help. I appreciate it.
9th November 2009, 10:37 AM |#9  
Portland

More
Would be nice if it could read our current settings.
9th November 2009, 06:21 PM |#10  
Flag Brooklyn

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubonik

Would be nice if it could read our current settings.

Yeah, that was my original plan. But it's too much for me to do now. When my workload eases up at the end of December, perhaps I'll tackle that. I know how to do it but I just don't have the time now to write the code.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
user.conf, userinit.sh

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)