FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

APPS that are SAFE to remove

496 posts
Thanks Meter: 23
 
By VoXHTC, Account currently disabled on 9th November 2009, 04:27 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Just as the title says, if you've managed to remove a sprint app and it HAS NOT caused an error at startup, or a "force close," would you please post it here? Be sure you've restarted your phone first just to be sure that you're error free.

Stock Sprint Firmware is available here in case anyone breaks something. ftp://xda:xda@ftp.xda-developers.com...ed_release.exe

Remember that everything is case sensitive. For example if you try to "rm sprint_nscar.apk" it won't work. You must type "rm Sprint_Nscar.apk" - without quotations of course.

To remove an app from your phone you must have root access and type the following commands with SU access:

type:
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
Then type:
cd /system/app
then you can type "ls" to list the contents of the directory.

To remove an app the "rm" (Remove) cmd will precede the app name each time. For example: rm Sprint_Nscar.apk (and then hit enter)


Mods can we get a sticky on this? Please?




ALL OF THE APPS LISTED BELOW HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED WITH NO ERRORS AFTER REBOOT WITH CURRENT SPRINT PATCH FROM 11/18/2009.


Sprint_TV.apk
Sprint_Navigator.apk
Sprint_TVWidget.apk
Sprint_NFL.apk
Sprint_Nscar.apk
amazonmp3.apk
Stock.apk
Stock.odex
DCSStock.apk
DCSStock.odex
HtcFootprints.apk
HtcFootprints.odex
HtcFootprintsWidget.apk
HtcFootprintsWidget.odex
LearnMore.apk
com.htc.StockWidget.apk
com.htc.StockWidget.odex
VoiceDialer.apk
VoiceDialer.odex
HtcSoundRecorder.apk
HtcSoundRecorder.odex




DO NOT REMOVE
IMPlugins and ImProvider (.apk and .odex's) Causes com.google.process.gapps Error
IM.apk and IM.odex will break GChat apparently
Removing Googlechat apparently breaks access to the market?

THESE HAVEN'T BEEN CONFIRMED AS OF YET. ANYONE THAT HAS REMOVED THESE AND REBOOTED WITHOUT ANY ISSUES PLEASE POST
rm com.htc.TwitterWidget.apk
rm com.htc.TwitterWidget.odex
 
 
9th November 2009, 04:31 AM |#2  
thecodemonk's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Spokane, WA
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Sprint_Nscar.apk
9th November 2009, 04:42 AM |#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
Donate to Me
More
I removed the HtcTwitter + Widget (Peep) I use I Tweet
I removed the Stocks, Footprints, and their widgets
Sprint_TV+Widget, Sprint_Navigation, Sprint_Nscar (not sure why its spelt like that)
IM + Widget, Voice Recorder, Voice Search, Amazon mp3, HTC Mail (Doesn't affect my Gmail at all)
9th November 2009, 04:46 AM |#4  
OP Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 23
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson8403

I removed the HtcTwitter + Widget (Peep) I use I Tweet
I removed the Stocks, Footprints, and their widgets
Sprint_TV+Widget, Sprint_Navigation, Sprint_Nscar (not sure why its spelt like that)
IM + Widget, Voice Recorder, Voice Search, Amazon mp3, HTC Mail (Doesn't affect my Gmail at all)

Well damn...Awesome.
9th November 2009, 04:48 AM |#5  
Negrito's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Las Vegas
Thanks Meter: 56
 
More
I removed all this:

Code:
# rm Stock.apk
# rm Stock.odex
# rm Sprint_Nscar.apk
# rm amazonmp3.apk
# rm com.htc.StockWidget.apk
# rm com.htc.StockWidget.odex
# rm com.htc.TwitterWidget.apk
# rm com.htc.TwitterWidget.odex
# rm LearnMore.apk
# rm LearnMore.odex
# rm HtcTwitter.apk
# rm HtcTwitter.odex
# rm IM.apk
# rm IM.odex
# rm IMPlugins.apk
# rm IMPlugins.odex
# rm ImProvider.apk
# rm ImProvider.odex
# rm Sprint_Navigator.apk
# rm HtcRingtoneTrimmer.apk
# rm HtcRingtoneTrimmer.odex
# rm HtcFootprints.apk
# rm HtcFootprints.odex
# rm HtcFootprintsWidget.apk
# rm HtcFootprintsWidget.odex
9th November 2009, 04:51 AM |#6  
OP Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 23
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negrito

I removed all this:

Code:
# rm Stock.apk
# rm Stock.odex
# rm Sprint_Nscar.apk
# rm amazonmp3.apk
# rm com.htc.StockWidget.apk
# rm com.htc.StockWidget.odex
# rm com.htc.TwitterWidget.apk
# rm com.htc.TwitterWidget.odex
# rm LearnMore.apk
# rm LearnMore.odex
# rm HtcTwitter.apk
# rm HtcTwitter.odex
# rm IM.apk
# rm IM.odex
# rm IMPlugins.apk
# rm IMPlugins.odex
# rm ImProvider.apk
# rm ImProvider.odex
# rm Sprint_Navigator.apk
# rm HtcRingtoneTrimmer.apk
# rm HtcRingtoneTrimmer.odex
# rm HtcFootprints.apk
# rm HtcFootprints.odex
# rm HtcFootprintsWidget.apk
# rm HtcFootprintsWidget.odex

I"m afraid to remove some things as I've run into that com.htc.provider startup error. Seems navigator or twitter is causing it? But you're ok? have you rebooted your phone yet?
9th November 2009, 04:58 AM |#7  
Negrito's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Las Vegas
Thanks Meter: 56
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoXHTC

I"m afraid to remove some things as I've run into that com.htc.provider startup error. Seems navigator or twitter is causing it? But you're ok? have you rebooted your phone yet?

Actually just did. Got two force close errors, but everything seems to be operating just fine.
9th November 2009, 05:01 AM |#8  
OP Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 23
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negrito

Actually just did. Got two force close errors, but everything seems to be operating just fine.

I was never able to get past the force close error I was getting. I press close and It kept reloading the OS over and over and over and.... zzz
9th November 2009, 05:04 AM |#9  
thecodemonk's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Spokane, WA
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoXHTC

I"m afraid to remove some things as I've run into that com.htc.provider startup error. Seems navigator or twitter is causing it? But you're ok? have you rebooted your phone yet?

My phone is currently in the middle of another nandroid backup before trying to tweak some settings files...

but the safest way to test would be to "mv [filename] /sdcard/[filename]" and if it causes issues... "mv /sdcard/[filename] [filename]" :P
9th November 2009, 05:10 AM |#10  
OP Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 23
 
More
Yeah I've backed up all the apps to my desktop computer. I suppose I could do it one by one..zzz
9th November 2009, 05:16 AM |#11  
thecodemonk's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Spokane, WA
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoXHTC

Yeah I've backed up all the apps to my desktop computer. I suppose I could do it one by one..zzz

Or someone else who's bored could.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes