FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE 16/11/09] Get started rooting Telus HERO130! (No need for QMAT!)

288 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By Soaa-, Senior Member on 9th November 2009, 04:45 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Yay, I've finally found a reliable way to do this. After completing these steps, you'll be able to install any GSM Hero ROM. Still, neither I, nor anyone else, can be blamed if something goes wrong and you end up with a shiny paperweight.

-2. Changelog

16/11/09
Updated to Amon_RA's latest recovery image

15/11/09
First release of the guide!

-1. Thanks!

This guide would not have been possible without:
TheUnlockr (great guides)
Amon_RA (recovery image)
xda-developers (need I say more?)
MoDaCo (Excellent ROM)
QMAT (GoldCard)
craig0r (first to root the Telus Hero)
pi3ch (copy from cmd)

And everyone involved in rooting the Dream, the Sapphire, the Hero, and Android in general. Many thanks to everyone involved!

0. Before we start!

If you haven't installed all the drivers for your phone already, follow the instructions on this page to do so. It also shows you the basics of ADB.

Also, a forewarning: there are reports that not all microSD cards work. If yours doesn't work, try another one. Hopefully you'll still have some dough in your wallet by the time you find one that works. Just kidding.

Also, not all microSD readers work either. I have one that just refused to write the GoldCard image to the card, but thankfully, my laptop's SD slot worked.

And, these steps have only been tested on Windows XP 32bit. If you use anything newer, it may or may not work, but most importantly, if you want any chance of it working, you'll want to run most of these apps and commands in Administrator mode.

Finally, make sure you have a Wi-Fi connection, as your data connection will be lost at some point while you need to download something from the Market.

1. Downloads!

You'll want to get all your downloads before starting this.
HxD
RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.405.5_WWE_release_signed_NoD river.exe
flashrec
Amon_RA's recovery image
Updated radio

2. Prepare your phone!

On your phone, go to:
Settings > Applications > Development

There, check USB debugging.

3. Backup your APN settings!

Go to the Market and install APN Backup and Restore. Run it, and backup your APN settings with it. This is necessary to restore data access after rooting.

4. Get your GoldCard image!

The GoldCard bypasses some weird check on the phone and allows you to flash ROMs that are otherwise rejected, due to them being older versions, or some other reason that HTC decided it'd be so.

With the USB cable plugged in, open the notifications shade and tap HTC Sync. It doesn't matter if it can't sync, but what matters is you can enter the adb shell. If you don't know how, you haven't done step 0.

Now, go in adb shell and run this command:
Code:
cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:*/cid
The output is your microSD card's serial number. Right click anywhere in the command prompt, and click on Mark. Then, select the serial number, and right click. The serial is now copied into the clipboard, so open up Notepad and paste it there.

Now, with that serial number written down, paste it into my lame GoldCard hex reverse. Please credit me if you use that page in your guide!

Next, do as my page says, grab the reversed serial number and get your GoldCard image with it.

5. Create your GoldCard!

So now you have your GoldCard image. Remember, this GoldCard image is valid only for the card from which you got the serial number. If you use another card, get another image.

Turn off your phone, take the microSD out and plug it into the your preferred reader. Again, not all readers work. Not all microSDs work.

Now, unplug from your computer any removable storage except for the microSD. This is to avoid confusion in the next step.

Before making the GoldCard, backup anything you need from the microSD, as it may get erased in the process. Most importantly, backup the APN settings that we got earlier, from APN Backup and Restore.

Now open up HxD. From here, you'll open two things. Your microSD in the raw, and the GoldCard image in the raw.

To open your microSD go to:
Extras > Open disk

In the pop up, under Physical disks, select the (supposedly only) Removable Storage. If there are two, I don't know which one is the right one, so unplug more stuff from your computer.

Before you click OK, be sure to uncheck Open as Readonly. We can't make a GoldCard if we can't write on it, right?

To open your GoldCard image, go to:
Extras > Open disk image

There, select your downloaded goldcard.img file, and click Open, and then OK.

Now you should have two tabs open in HxD, one being the microSD, and the other, active one being the GoldCard image.

Press Ctrl+A on your keyboard to select all, then Ctrl+C on your keyboard to copy. Switch to the microSD's tab, make sure the cursor is at the complete top-left corner, and then press Ctrl+B to paste, and then Ctrl+S to save. Accept the risk and your GoldCard should be made.

To verify, close the microSD's tab, eject it, unplug and replug it, and reopen it in HxD like we did earlier. It should still have the GoldCard image written at the beginning of it. If not, either the microSD or the reader or both don't like making GoldCards, so you'll want to try a different combination of card and reader.

6. Downgrade!

Let's flash the downgraded ROM now. Plug your microSD, now a GoldCard, into the phone and turn it on. After it finishes booting, turn on HTC Sync. Again, it doesn't need to actually synchronize.

Now, run the RUU you downloaded earlier and follow the steps. If the GoldCard works, it should flash and you'll end up with a downgraded phone. If not, then you either didn't write down the microSD's serial number correctly, or the microSD doesn't like to do its job.

Set up the downgraded phone with the default settings, and turn on Wi-Fi. Get on your Wi-Fi network and install Linda File Manager.

Now, on the phone, check:
Settings > Applications > Unknown sources

Now turn on USB Storage, and copy flashrec and Amon_RA's recovery image to the microSD. Rename the recovery image to recovery.img to save a headache later. You may as well put the backed up APN files back on the microSD too, if they got erased.

Disconnect USB storage, load up Linda, go in the SD card, and install flashrec using Package Installer. Now, load up Recovery Flasher, press on backup, then type in:
Code:
/sdcard/recovery.img
Now press Flash recovery.

7. Update the radio

The radio that came with the downgrade is quirky in North American networks. We'll update to the latest IU radio, which works with our networks here.

First, reboot into the new patched recovery. Turn off the phone, and then turn it back on while holding the Home button. Keep holding it until you see the recovery menu.

Once you're there, scroll down using the trackball to turn on USB Mass storage. Plug the phone in the computer if it wasn't plugged already. The microSD will show up on the computer. Copy the updated radio zip to the root of the microSD wait a few seconds, then turn off USB Mass storage on the phone.

Now, select Flash update image, and then Apply sdcard:choose zip. There, the radio zip should show up. Select it and flash it.

8. You're pretty much done at this point.

Follow any guide to install a Hero ROM, to partition your microSD, etc. After you install a custom ROM, be sure to reinstall APN Backup and Restore from the market, and restore your APN settings. This will restore data.

9th November 2009, 05:05 AM |#2  
Flag Spokane, WA
Thanks Meter: 1

More
well the "asroot" method of rooting from the guide in the CDMA forum may be worth trying...perhaps they haven't fixed the vulenrability?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=581577 (all the way up to before the recovery image)
9th November 2009, 05:37 AM |#3  

More
Ya tried that method don't work
9th November 2009, 05:16 PM |#4  

More
yeah I would love to root this thing.

To be honest this is my first smartphone and I'm new at this rooting thing. I did manage to throw on a hack for my ipod nano (colored version)

I'm loving this phone so far - got it first day they announced their new network. I'm so impressed

Did either of you buy another SD card? Where did you grab yours if you did?
9th November 2009, 05:43 PM |#5  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 77

More
My Telus Hero has been rooted since Friday.
Check it:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3&postcount=16
9th November 2009, 06:13 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Montreal

More
Yeah I just saw. I'll get familiar with the process then update the first post.

Thanks a bunch!
9th November 2009, 08:55 PM |#7  
Flag Toronto

More
I posted in the other thread (so... sorry for the double post), but I think that this thread is more relevant to the question/issue of rooting.

Could someone who still has the stock Telus ROM post the Baseband version? (Home -> Settings -> About phone -> Baseband version)

I'm just curious as to whether we Telus users should upgrade or downgrade the radio version after rooting the phone, as I seem to be having dialing issues (long distance numbers require a "+" in front of the "1" or it won't connect.)

I dunno if this issue would be related to the radio, or to the fact that there are no North American locales selectable within the custom ROM.
9th November 2009, 09:05 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Stock Baseband
63.18.55.06DAU_6.35.08.20

Still wating to see how others are successful with rooting their Telus Hero.
10th November 2009, 03:38 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjeffrey

63.18.55.06DAU_6.35.08.20

Still wating to see how others are successful with rooting their Telus Hero.

Same here. My stock Telus Hero reports the same version as above (just to add to the data pool). I'll be watching this thread for more details on rooting.
12th November 2009, 07:04 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I rooted using the goldcard>2.73.405>recovery>modaco2.9>IU baseband and it works no problem. I can dial 611, long distance numbers dont need a + or a 1 for that matter, and market enabler lets me buy paid apps. Device seems quicker. I had to try 3 different sd cards though. I know I was doing the first one wrong, but one of them definately did not work.
12th November 2009, 01:45 PM |#11  
Flag Toronto

More
I mentioned in the other Telus Hero thread that I updated my radio to the IU version, and my dialing issues have gone away. Thought I should mention it here as well. :P
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)