FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Android on a Blackberry?

305 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By hgrimberg, Senior Member on 10th November 2009, 04:58 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Is it possible to flash a Blackberry and change its crappy OS for an Android ROM? I mean, the Blackberry Bold is a great piece of hardware and it could be a great device if it would be possible to run Android on it.
Any brilliant ROM cooker from XDA tried this already or thinking about trying it? There was a rumor about Android on BB...
Thank you.

10th November 2009, 05:30 PM |#2  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 100

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgrimberg

Is it possible to flash a Blackberry and change its crappy OS for an Android ROM? I mean, the Blackberry Bold is a great piece of hardware and it could be a great device if it would be possible to run Android on it.
Any brilliant ROM cooker from XDA tried this already or thinking about trying it? There was a rumor about Android on BB...
Thank you.

RIM doesn't make their hardware drivers available, so you would be in for a major reverse-engineering effort to make this work.
10th November 2009, 06:41 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag BA
Thanks Meter: 2

More
maybe some RIM's hardware drivers are already filtered somewhere...
10th November 2009, 09:06 PM |#4  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 100

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgrimberg

maybe some RIM's hardware drivers are already filtered somewhere...

No doubt *some* are, but you're going to be missing the majority of things needed to make the thing really work.

In my opinion, you're looking at HUNDREDS (if you're REALLY lucky and 99.9% of the drivers are already there..) or THOUSANDS of man-hours (tens of thousands most likely) to develop the thing to a usable state, so if you are working on it on your own, just think about the value of your time-- if you make a meager $10/hr, then its only 50 hours to get the best top notch android device out there, saving yourself $10000+ worth of time -- and even the worst android hardware (not counting sciphone, of course) is better than the best RIM hardware (that 9000 you mentioned -- 128MB ram/128MB flash, no touch screen, crap 2MP camera, crap keyboard that requires little-girl fingers, etc.).
The Following User Says Thank You to lbcoder For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lbcoder Ad-Free
11th November 2009, 04:31 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbcoder

No doubt *some* are, but you're going to be missing the majority of things needed to make the thing really work.

In my opinion, you're looking at HUNDREDS (if you're REALLY lucky and 99.9% of the drivers are already there..) or THOUSANDS of man-hours (tens of thousands most likely) to develop the thing to a usable state, so if you are working on it on your own, just think about the value of your time-- if you make a meager $10/hr, then its only 50 hours to get the best top notch android device out there, saving yourself $10000+ worth of time -- and even the worst android hardware (not counting sciphone, of course) is better than the best RIM hardware (that 9000 you mentioned -- 128MB ram/128MB flash, no touch screen, crap 2MP camera, crap keyboard that requires little-girl fingers, etc.).

Little girl fingers, thats some funny but true stuff.
11th November 2009, 11:17 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbcoder

I love to have that as a sticky for everyone that asks can "insert phone name here" run andoird?! Of course with a slight edit for the phone manufacture in.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)