FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TIP] How to make Opera Mobile 10 the default browser

10 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By thekingevrock, Junior Member on 19th November 2009, 02:39 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
After spending several hours messing around with the /Windows/OperaL.exe file to no avail, I finally figured out how to make the new Opera Mobile 10 the default browser, so that bookmarks launched from Manila's Internet tab will open there and not in Opera 9.x. It's actually very easy.

First, copy the entire contents of the /Program Files/Opera Mobile 10 folder into the /Windows folder. It's important to copy more than just the .exe file, otherwise the program won't launch.

Next, use a registry editor to change
/HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Shell/Rai/EFBROWSER/1/"\Windows\OperaL.exe"
to
/HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Shell/Rai/EFBROWSER/1/"\Windows\Opera10-armv4i.exe"

Finally, soft reset and you should be all set. There are probably other ways of doing this; please share any other methods you may know.

Update: this method doesn't seem to be working for everyone; suggest you read the entire thread, as Dsixda has kindly posted a CAB which makes multiple registry changes. Also, see posts #2 and 3 for an alternate method that has worked for some.
19th November 2009, 04:51 AM |#2  
Flag Miami, FL
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingevrock

After spending several hours messing around with the /Windows/OperaL.exe file to no avail, I finally figured out how to make the new Opera Mobile 10 the default browser, so that bookmarks launched from Manila's Internet tab will open there and not in Opera 9.x. It's actually very easy.

First, copy the entire contents of the /Program Files/Opera Mobile 10 folder into the /Windows folder. It's important to copy more than just the .exe file, otherwise the program won't launch.

Next, use a registry editor to change
to

Finally, soft reset and you should be all set. There are probably other ways of doing this; please share any other methods you may know.

I have not tried this my self but couldn't you just change the registry to /HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Shell/Rai/EFBROWSER/1/"\Windows\Opera Mobile 1-\Opera10-armv4i.exe"
19th November 2009, 05:52 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchavarria

I have not tried this my self but couldn't you just change the registry to /HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Shell/Rai/EFBROWSER/1/"\Windows\Opera Mobile 1-\Opera10-armv4i.exe"

I think you mean /Program Files instead of /Windows, and it's a good point -- I didn't even try that. Guess I'm just used to always having my main Opera.exe in the Windows folder.
19th November 2009, 06:08 AM |#4  
Flag Des Moines
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchavarria

Well, this didn't work for some reason (yes, I corrected the path to Program Files). HTC Touch Pro (CDMA).
19th November 2009, 03:22 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 161

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheiselman

Well, this didn't work for some reason (yes, I corrected the path to Program Files). HTC Touch Pro (CDMA).

It worked fine for me. I set it to "\Program Files\Opera Mobile 10\Opera10-armv4i.exe" and it worked perfectly. Both Launch Browser and the favorite icons worked. For reference, I am on a Touch Pro with Manila 2.5.
19th November 2009, 10:04 PM |#6  

More
I installed Opera 10 Beta to my storage card (omnia i910). any thoughts on how to properly reference a storage card from the registry? I've tried:

"\My Storage\Program Files\Opera Mobile 10\Opera10-armv4i.exe"

&

"\\My Storage\Program Files\Opera Mobile 10\Opera10-armv4i.exe"

&

"My Storage\Program Files\Opera Mobile 10\Opera10-armv4i.exe"

None work. Any thoughts?
19th November 2009, 10:10 PM |#7  
Flag Bratislava

More
Sorry guys, but doesn't work on my Raphael with Cracing's CR192 Touch HD™ v6.5.0.0.5 ROM and Manila 2.1.38680.1
20th November 2009, 01:46 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinneejoe

I installed Opera 10 Beta to my storage card (omnia i910). any thoughts on how to properly reference a storage card from the registry? I've tried:

"\My Storage\Program Files\Opera Mobile 10\Opera10-armv4i.exe"

&

"\\My Storage\Program Files\Opera Mobile 10\Opera10-armv4i.exe"

&

"My Storage\Program Files\Opera Mobile 10\Opera10-armv4i.exe"

None work. Any thoughts?

I think it should be \Storage Card\Program Files\.......
20th November 2009, 05:38 AM |#9  
Flag Des Moines
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I should add that Opera 10 did take over most of my handlers/file types, but did take over whichever one is responsible for the "Internet" button in TouchFlo 3D.
20th November 2009, 06:11 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingevrock

to

Quote:

The essential component.
20th November 2009, 09:14 AM |#11