FORUMS

[Q]Moving the HTC Album cache to storage card?

455 posts
Thanks Meter: 164

By Mithrandir007, Senior Member on 15th December 2009, 01:58 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
After finding out my internal storage available space was getting low much faster than it should, I deleted the cache from google maps, opera (and moved its location to the storage card), but I can't find a way to move the cache from the HTC Album.
It takes around 30Mb on my device, and if I delete it, it'll just get back to that size in a few days.

I know I can just delete it every time it's too big, but I'm guessing it makes the albums loading faster, so if it's possible, I'd prefer not to delete it, but to move it to the storage card instead.
Is it possible to change the default location of the cache?

Thanks
15th December 2009, 02:10 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
This would be good, I too ended up wondering where all my space had gone only to find the HTC ALBUM cache folder taking up 20MB
15th December 2009, 03:41 PM |#3  

More
Ditto^^
I find it strange because this would ultimately lead to a completely occupied memory over time (given you take enough pictures). You'd think they thought about that...
16th December 2009, 08:32 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Rixensart, Belgium

More
I can't seem to find anything about this, and after looking at the registry, I didn't find any key that seems to control this either.

Is there so few people bothered by this?
16th December 2009, 09:00 AM |#5  

More
i am as bothered as you (and running with very few storage left), and wait for a solution. Putting the cache not on the storage card was quite dumb from HTC given the very limited storage. Unfortunately, I am a solution leecher, not a seeder.

16th December 2009, 09:19 AM |#6  
Flag Mons
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrandir007

After finding out my internal storage available space was getting low much faster than it should, I deleted the cache from google maps, opera (and moved its location to the storage card), but I can't find a way to move the cache from the HTC Album.
It takes around 30Mb on my device, and if I delete it, it'll just get back to that size in a few days.

I know I can just delete it every time it's too big, but I'm guessing it makes the albums loading faster, so if it's possible, I'd prefer not to delete it, but to move it to the storage card instead.
Is it possible to change the default location of the cache?

Thanks

Sorry, probably a noob question but how did you do it for Opera ?

Thanks in advance
16th December 2009, 09:20 AM |#7  

More
It's in the camera settings. Start the camera; select the strange box on the bottom left with an arrow on the side; hit the "settings" wheel - looks like a cart wheel; then you should have a big box in the middle of the screen with settings options; now select the lower left hand box labelled "storage". When you have the "storage" option with the picture of a SD card then that's where the photos will go.
16th December 2009, 09:33 AM |#8  
Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Moderator / (Un)recognised Pole Dancer
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 4,244

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesy Dave

It's in the camera settings. Start the camera; select the strange box on the bottom left with an arrow on the side; hit the "settings" wheel - looks like a cart wheel; then you should have a big box in the middle of the screen with settings options; now select the lower left hand box labelled "storage". When you have the "storage" option with the picture of a SD card then that's where the photos will go.

That's not the album cache - that's the camera storage location
16th December 2009, 10:04 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Rixensart, Belgium

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexd83

Sorry, probably a noob question but how did you do it for Opera ?

Thanks in advance

For Opera, it's not too hard.

Open Opera, and type "opera:config" in the address bar.
You'll then be in the config page, find the section "User Prefs".

In there, you should find something called "Cache Directory4". Just change that path to any directory in your storage card (for example : "\Storage Card\OperaCache").

Cheesy Dave : Thanks for the answer, but as johncmolyneux said, it's the cache I'd like to move to the storage card (which contains the thumbnails of your images along with other information).
The pictures are already going to the storage card.
16th December 2009, 10:32 AM |#10  
Flag Mons
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Thanks for the reply !
16th December 2009, 05:35 PM |#11  

More
Hi, whoops - sorry I misunderstood the question. Now where is the cache kept ?

I did think the question was simple; but, I thought it might help to explain the settings in the camera.

Confession: I've no idea where the cache is kept. Must explore ...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)